Alternatives for people with a newly diagnosed peanut/tree nut allergy?

Options
Any alternatives in snacks and just food in general.
Ive been eating peanuts and related products my whole life. Until i had a bad reaction this year.

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My husband has a severe peanut allergy and some more mild tree nut allergies and has no problem avoiding them. What specifically are you looking for alternatives for? Like, do you eat peanut butter on your toast every morning, or a handful of nuts every day as a snack, or...?

Nuts have protein and plenty of fat, so when you're replacing them you probably want something with similar macros.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Wow butter is good
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you can eat seeds, Sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds) is a good alternative to peanut butter. Roasted chickpeas aren't nuts, but they are crunchy and delicious.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can eat sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you can eat seeds, Sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds) is a good alternative to peanut butter. Roasted chickpeas aren't nuts, but they are crunchy and delicious.

Sunbutter is fantastic. My youngest has a severe peanut allergy. It's manufactured in a peanut/tree nut facility and is now soy free too.

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I was about 17-years old. Used to eat PB&J regularly, and then out of nowhere started having trouble breathing, throat swelled, etc. It's hard to get used to, but after a while you won't crave PB anymore. Try Sunbutter! Great alternative. Avoid the soy substitutes though. Also, sunflower and pumpkin seeds are a good "nutty" flavor.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would get a second Opinion remember docs don't get paid unless there is something wrong with you.

It could be that particular batch of food that day not all peanut butter forever. See a Board certified allergist
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The fact that it's possible to suddenly develop a peanut allergy is terrifying to me.