How long is your recovey between leg days?

Options
What's your usual recovery time?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I do legs Mondays and Thursdays.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    1 day
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    if you are talking about running, I use a 9 day schedule, and never run within 2 days of a long or hard run. Quality vs quantity, plus the older you get the more time it takes to recover, lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing an upper/lower split, I usually do lower on Sundays and Wednesdays.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "leg day" and what you mean by "recovery" LOL

I squat at 85% of my training max (about 75% of true 1RM) on Monday, 90% on Wednesday and 95% on Friday and also run 3-5 miles on Tuesday and Thursday then either do a long run of 6-10 miles on the weekend or if I'm playing soccer at the time, I'll have a game where I'm running for 1.5 hrs. I also usually DL on Fridays, so "true" recovery is only a day a week. I prefer to look at my running as "active recovery" though :smiley:
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Every day is leg day on Bike .... I'm not sure what resting is.....

LOL
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do deadlift training on monday usually involving some leg assisitance work
    Squat thursdays and saturdays.

Depending if you are reffering to weight training, muscle protein synthesis to my knowledge the latest studies have show is only active for 24-48 hours after a training session. So the best thing to do is to keep that stimulated as much as you can handle. I've done as many as 5 lowerbody workouts in a training week.
    Mind I train submaximally meaning I dont max out every session I use loads that difficult but managable in the 70-85% range for several reps and sets. The muscle wont be the actual issue. The issue with frequent training is soft tissue(tendons and ligaments) and the Central Nervous System.

I recommend no less than 2 "leg days" because it gives a good amount of muscular stimulation. If you feel you are recovering enough from the 2 you can begin to slowly over time build up to more but 2 leg days will get you very very far.
    This is why 4 day upper lower type splits are the rage these days its a good managable balance of frequency and recovery.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    heavy squats monday.
    volume squats and DL on friday.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats Monday.
    Back-off squats and DL on Thursday.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Heavy back squats 3 days a week.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40's. I also have trouble getting enough sleep and am cutting at the moment.

Two total rest days gets me back to 80% after heavy deadlift, back squats and a 3-6 mile run. I need three days for complete recovery.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I lift two days a week and do some type of cardiovascular work that engages the legs (running, kickbox, walking lunges, squat jumps, etc.) four days a week. I rarely do both on the same day.
  • tysonn88rosen
    tysonn88rosen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Up to 3 days for a major:
    Legs, chest, back

However, What also becomes a factor when it comes to rest time is the intensity and program involved in each of the workouts

I do legs twice a week.
    Wednesday - quads
    Saturday - hamstrings
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It depends on your programming.

I work legs/glutes up to 4x per week, sometimes back to back. However I am following a full body program and usually try my best to stick to the schedule. Obviously I'm not killing my legs everyday or I would burn out and not see results
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    twice in 8 days three days rest always five sets each Squats, lunges, leg press, leg ext, stiff legged deadlifts leg curls. I do Box jumps 5 sets 8 reps 30 inches two days after legs day in my cross fit class.

Didn't think about biking for legs I bike everyday 9-11 miles every morning 5 min after I wake up- Its a 30 min ride just gets me going..
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    One day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My program is full body so every day I workout is leg day...but I don't work out on consecutive days...there's always at least a day in between.

Of course, this is going to depend on your program and what kind of volume you're talking about...more volume = longer recovery time.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Typically I squat and/or deadlift 3-5 days a week, depending on the exact training cycle. I typically can handle high volume and intensity loads for a good cycle before needing to drop down and recover.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    2 days.. I am in my late 40's and I run too.. so need extra recovery for me!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    doseofkay wrote: »
    What's your usual recovery time?

Every 3 to 5 days, depending on my schedule.