Power cage, barbell and bench have arrived - what now!?

Options
So, after reading MFP and losing weight since the end of Feb, and about 2/3 of the way to target, my partner and I decide we should start lifting.

Being parents of young kids and living in a rural area getting to a gym regularly enough was never going to work. We have stables that aren't used for anything other than storage so we decided to splash out and get some weights to set up at home. A pallet with power rack, Olympic barbell & weights, bench and adjustable weight Dumbbells has just arrived! Eek.

So, before I get all excited and set it up, any advice on building up, locating, extra bits that would be useful etc?

The plan when built is to start from scratch with Stronglifts 5x5.

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips!

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You won't need any extra equipment for Strong lifts but you will need a little planning on where to put the powercage.
    • You will need a decent solid floor (you may drop weights) and if your weights are cast iron (not rubber coated) you should put in some floor mats to minimise damage to the floor or weights.
    • You will need enough room on either side of the rack to add and remove plates.
    • You will need the headroom to perform an overhead press with a weighted bar.
    • You may benefit from a full length mirror to help you with form (especially if working out alone)
    • You will need enough space to pull the bench out of the cage when performing lifts other than bench press.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Go with the plan and stick with it until it no longer gives results per plan.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You won't need any extra equipment for Strong lifts but you will need a little planning on where to put the powercage.
    • You will need a decent solid floor (you may drop weights) and if your weights are cast iron (not rubber coated) you should put in some floor mats to minimise damage to the floor or weights.
    • You will need enough room on either side of the rack to add and remove plates.
    • You may benefit from a full length mirror to help you with form (especially if working out alone)
    • You will need enough space to pull the bench out of the cage when performing lifts other than bench press.

I agree with all of this bar the mirror. Looking in a mirror to perfect form actually detracts from it as you are looking rather than feeling what you should be doing. For form, video your lifts.

We built a platform in our basement that is 2 layers of 3/8" plywood cross laid covered with heavy duty rubber horse stall mats.

Cage, bench, bar and plates is all you really need for now. As you progress you can invest in other fun stuff. They are the core of all of it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Does your set of weights include a couple of fractional (2.5lb plates)? If not get a couple (they're stupidly expensive compared to other plates but with SL 5x5 progressing 5lbs at a time they're pretty much necessary)

Other than that, start with an empty bar and follow the plan!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this bar the mirror. Looking in a mirror to perfect form actually detracts from it as you are looking rather than feeling what you should be doing. For form, video your lifts.

We built a platform in our basement that is 2 layers of 3/8" plywood cross laid covered with heavy duty rubber horse stall mats.

Cage, bench, bar and plates is all you really need for now. As you progress you can invest in other fun stuff. They are the core of all of it.

Stuff in bold: Good points :)

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Does your set of weights include a couple of fractional (2.5lb plates)? If not get a couple (they're stupidly expensive compared to other plates but with SL 5x5 progressing 5lbs at a time they're pretty much necessary)

As an alternative to that, you could also get lengths of chains. I'd imagine in a rural area you might have more access to a hardware/building supply place.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »

As an alternative to that, you could also get lengths of chains. I'd imagine in a rural area you might have more access to a hardware/building supply place.

Good idea!

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Other then the above ( good suggestions ), I would put some consideration into ensuring your space is 4 season comfortable. Not being able to use it several months out of the year due to heat/cold kinda defeats the purpose.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Two additional things. The first should be obvious, but my old gym (one of a few reasons why I don't go there anymore) didn't follow this: make sure your equipment is level. Nothing like trying to perform a lift and having one side slightly lower than the other.

Second, it might be worthwhile, although not necessary, provided you're level to begin with, to have a specific spot for deadlifting that can be repaired, if necessary.

OK, I guess a third thing, since I/we am/are on deadlifts: see about building or buying a loader, such as shown here: http://www.roguefitness.com/mini-deadlift-bar-jack?gclid=CIXp9urO_c4CFcQfhgodIlsNnw. It's not terribly expensive, but works better, IMO, than putting a plate under the other plate(s) for loading. I built my own for a little less based on this design: http://www.endofthreefitness.com/how-to-build-a-mini-deadlift-jack/
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are you building the shelter structure too? Consider floor space for foam rolling and calisthenics. 12x10 may be adequate. Make sure you have the height for OHPs, pull-ups and jumps.

I have the horse stall mats in my gym. They are laid over an existing concrete pad with floating wood floors. (I'm not moving more than 200lbs and not planning on dropping the weights.) The mats have a tendancy to move around so consider a frame. Also consider building a platform with 3/4 plywood -- @nakedraygun has a DIY thread with his example.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Big fan over the rack was one of the best things I did.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. All really helpful.

I am in the far south west of the U.K. so our temperature swing isn't too bad. Rarely gets below freezing nor warmer than 70 deg F. I am think a garage heater for worst of winter and in the summer the concrete block stables stay cool anyway.

The flooring is food for thought. It is rough concrete pad stall floor. Horse stall mats sound good for the deadlift and I might need to shim the rack to level it slightly. I will have to see once it is built up. I hadn't though about a floating floor or framing though, so will have to mull on that a bit - cheers for raising it!

I can see a good day of work coming up getting all this in first position and then ongoing tweaks :)
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would actually look into something called the Greyskull LP. I think it is a far more solid training plan for a beginner to follow very similar to SL5x5 but there are numerous alterations you can make depnding on yiur beginning goal. The sort of amrap set(he explains it) gives a better foundation to build yourself up from and when you must dial back the weights(inevitable we all do it) it gives you a better foundation to break through the plateu.

I can get more into whys and hows but greyskull lp>sl5x5 in my opinion.
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For the floor you can build a lifting platform its incredibly easy and they are pretty sturdy. Mine is three sheets of plywood with horsematting on the edges to take the impact. However my garage floor was already cracking down the center and I was doomed from the get go I'm moving my dungeon under my house and until then I deadlift at a local gym and hope I dont get thrown out for it hahah

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm just jealous you have your own power rack and room to set it up. Lucky! ;)
  • subakwa
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for the help and advice given. All set up right now and a few workouts down. Seems to be working ok for the moment, although a couple of tips from above to implement yet.

Here are a few pics.

2dsxox9kztm3.jpg
    bobz8b2u56h6.jpg
    pwou8z1n44rp.jpg
  • Bojemoy
    Bojemoy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews

You won't believe how a $14 book can change your life.
    I've lost 15lbs in 9wks, while maintaining & improving lean muscle. Lost 3 pant sizes and now at 15% body fat, from 21%.

I started with a mini home gym in the office upstairs. I just recently got a power cage, another bar and a few more weights, now moving the home gym to the garage!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I get what people are saying bout form and mirror but one of the hardest parts of a squat to master as a beginner for me was the knee tracking outwards over toes ...I couldn't feel it had to see to correct

I think a moveable mirror is not a bad idea to start with

By the way ...nice looking home gym ...you're lucky
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I get what people are saying bout form and mirror but one of the hardest parts of a squat to master as a beginner for me was the knee tracking outwards over toes ...I couldn't feel it had to see to correct

I think a moveable mirror is not a bad idea to start with

By the way ...nice looking home gym ...you're lucky

I had that problem when I first started too. I think one of the best ways to get started is to have someone (or DIY) recording a video of your forms.

I've done that before, and most people are quite honest with their critiques.
  • subakwa
    Options
    I have been videoing myself doing squats. I suck. I am trying to practice without a bar, and they aren't so bad then, but add the bar and it changes everything.

Any squat advice is gratefully received! I have been reading Starting Strength and everything he says on squats I get - I just struggle to turn it into a movement my body does!