Peeing all night after training

I go swim training for 90 minutes between 8-9.30pm and get home for about 10.15pm. I have a 500ml bottle of drink during training, one on the drive home and then a protein shake made up to a pint when I get home. From a hydration point of view it works well, but i'm getting up 4 and 5 times a night to pee. Any ideas on how to maintain hydration and avoid having to get up alll night?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I've always heard that what you drink before the session is equally important, so try moving your drinks a little earlier i.e. one an hour before training. See how you feel.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I've always heard that what you drink before the session is equally important, so try moving your drinks a little earlier i.e. one an hour before training. See how you feel.

This is what I've done the past few weeks to avoid getting up all night and it really works for me. It's worth a try.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    are you drinking because you are thirsty or because someone told you to?

If you are up peeing, that suggests your body is trying to get rid of excess water that you don't really need.

• We are always told that you sweat quite a bit in the pool without realising. I do feel very thirsty when I get out of the pool and feel content with the amount I drink, but I will most certainly try reducing the amount after the training and moving to before the session.

I did read that protein shakes can act as a diuretic. Have you heard of that before?

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Why not drink your protein shake earlier in the day?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    We are always told that you sweat quite a bit in the pool without realising. I do feel very thirsty when I get out of the pool and feel content with the amount I drink, but I will most certainly try reducing the amount after the training and moving to before the session.

I did read that protein shakes can act as a diuretic. Have you heard of that before?

That may be, but you don't sweat enough in 90min, in water that is likely no warmer than 80F, to require a liter of some kind of drink plus a pint of protein shake. The only reason it might be warranted is if you're pretty dehydrated before you start. In which case, the best solution is to make sure you're hydrated throughout the day.

Heck, I don't sweat enough to need that much fluid running in 90+F temps and 70+% humidity for that long.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Swimming you probably sweat around .5 liter/hour and another, much smaller amount of water loss through respiration. You can check this yourself if there is an accurate scale at your pool just weigh before and after and do a little arithmetic.

I'd try hydrating more before the swim and less after and just be sure to start your day the next day with a big glass of water. Although my workout is earlier than yours, I don't drink a lot of fluids late in the evening for the same reason.
  • Thanks for the replies! I will give it a go tonigh t:-D
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Have you recently dropped your carbohydrate intake? This can cause a drop in retained water (by increased urine).
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Have you recently dropped your carbohydrate intake? This can cause a drop in retained water (by increased urine).

This response is peak mfp :)
    Problem: drinking 1.5l of fluid before bed makes me go to the bathroom a lot.
    Solution: carbs.

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    It could very well be immersion diuresis for that level of time in the pool. Because it no longer takes as much blood pressure to pump the blood to your head when you are suspended in water the body sheds some fluid from your circulation through your kidneys and bladder - ie it makes you wee. If you are drinking a good deal on top of its natural shed, which isn't needing quickly replacing as you are lying down in bed soon after it will work to get rid of that too.

I would hydrate well before, then let your body do its thing. Don't over drink afterwards, it won't let you absorb it anyway.

Hydrate normally again in the morning and you should be good.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Just log the extra walks to the bathroom as exercise and roll with it :-D

(Sorry, all the useful answers were already taken)
  • Sweetandsour23
    Sweetandsour23 Posts: 11 Member
    I go swim training for 90 minutes between 8-9.30pm and get home for about 10.15pm. I have a 500ml bottle of drink during training, one on the drive home and then a protein shake made up to a pint when I get home. From a hydration point of view it works well, but i'm getting up 4 and 5 times a night to pee. Any ideas on how to maintain hydration and avoid having to get up alll night?

I am swimming at night too and what's been working for me is to stay hydrated during the day, coconut water during training and if try to have an actual meal for your protein after rather than the shake. You can even do something as easy as greek yogurt and fruit. =)

Hope it helps!
  • Well, your combined knowledge and advice send me on a slumber that lasted all night!! I feel sooooo much better not having to get up countless times! It was all down to that extra 500ml of water after training!! So a great big thank you to you all, my you all have a nice long pee free sleep!!! :smiley: