Boredom and weight loss

Options
I am totally fine during the day. After dinner which is usually around 5:30 I get bored. So I get up and walk straight to the kitchen. I'm not hungry. I know this. Need to find constructive things to do to beat the boredom. Suggestions.....

Replies

• jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Play a game, or start a TV series.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Go workout
  • rebaisett
    rebaisett Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Go workout

I hate to work out :( I know i need to.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    print your pictures and scrap book, start making homemade Christmas (or whatever holiday you do) cards, go for a walk, knitting/crocheting/sewing, clean a room in your house, teach yourself card tricks, paint, pester your pets if you have them, read a book.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Why do you hate to work out? I like working out a lot less when I'm not fit. My body disappoints me. The fitter I get, the more I like it. If, by chance, you're the same as me, perhaps the solution is the same as mine. Set the bar lower. Make it easy to be successful. Lighter weights, less reps, keep your heart rate lower if it's cardio etc.
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This has been a HUGE problem for me. Last month we started playing Pokemon go on our phones. It may seem silly, but it makes walking fun and we definitely aren't bored anymore.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    rebaisett wrote: »
    Great ideas, thanks!
    Go workout

When I hear people tell me that I generally tend to think that they have a very narrow definition of what "workout" means....it seems like people think it means that they have to go drone away on some stationary piece of cardio equipment or jump around their living rooms like a jack *kitten* to some DVD....there is a broad range of things you can do which constitute "working out".

What is something you enjoy doing recreationally that involves moving? Do that at various intensities throughout the week.

Personally, I always loved riding a bike...I turned casual riding into a workout by increasing my intensity and setting specific goals...i.e. X miles in Y minutes, etc. I've been cycling for awhile now and I love signing up for various tour events and time trials...I also love just going out for a nice ride...sometimes it's a higher intensity ride...sometimes it's just a cruise around the city to see the sites.

I also really like hiking in the mountains and doing a little swimming...walking the dog is a nice low impact recovery activity, etc...

Find something you enjoy doing and don't confine yourself to this little box of cardio equipment and DVDs or whatever.
  • rebaisett
    Options
    Why do you hate to work out? I like working out a lot less when I'm not fit. My body disappoints me. The fitter I get, the more I like it. If, by chance, you're the same as me, perhaps the solution is the same as mine. Set the bar lower. Make it easy to be successful. Lighter weights, less reps, keep your heart rate lower if it's cardio etc.

If I am to be completely honest, pure laziness. Simple as that. I know I need to get off my butt and do something. Even if it's just something small.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, we sound very similar! I need a new hobby to as I'm about to combine maintenance with giving up smoking! I'm going to do a lot of cleaning sand colouring in :)
  • cwolfman13
    edited September 2016
    Options

If I am to be completely honest, pure laziness. Simple as that. I know I need to get off my butt and do something. Even if it's just something small.

That's how you do it...when I first started all of this four years ago I was in the same boat...I was pretty lazy and sedentary and just wanted to sit around watching t.v. drinking beer and smoking my cigarettes...I got winded just walking around the block but I made it my mission to get up and go for a walk every single day, even if they weren't particularly long. As the weeks went by it became easier and easier and I could go further and longer and started to really enjoy that time and miss it when I had to skip...

After a couple of months I really wanted to do something a bit more intense so I took up a C25K plan and started running...it never really clicked with me and that's when I looked at my bike and I knew that was the ticket. It was an old beater of a mountain bike, but I always enjoyed a little ride...just didn't do it often...made it a point to ride at least three days per week and continue my walking...I told myself when I hit 1,000 miles on that thing I'd invest in a new bike. Four years later I'm going out for 50 mile rides on the regular just because. I'm doing my first full century in a few weeks and this summer I completed a time trial series. It's just crazy to look back and think I could barely get around the block not that long ago....

ETA: I never did hit 1,000 miles on that bike but after a few months of riding I knew that I was in love and upgraded...a good bike made me love it even more.
  • rebaisett
    Options
    You all are amazing! Ty for the help and support :)
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
    Go workout

You LOVE to workout, you just dont know it yet!
    This is a good way to start: http://www.thewalkgame.com/
  • rebaisett
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    Great ideas, thanks!
    Go workout

You LOVE to workout, you just dont know it yet!
    This is a good way to start: http://www.thewalkgame.com/

Just downloaded it
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am totally fine during the day. After dinner which is usually around 5:30 I get bored. So I get up and walk straight to the kitchen. I'm not hungry. I know this. Need to find constructive things to do to beat the boredom. Suggestions.....

I have three coping methods depending on how I'm feeling and how much exercise I got throughout the day. I either go for a walk and listen to a couple chapters of an audiobook, I play a video game that doesn't allow for frequent breaks, or I take a nap. Can't suggest the nap thing unless your bedtime is later than the norm, but the walk and audiobook is a big winner for me (highly recommend The Martian; very entertaining narration, even when I can't always keep up with the more jargon-y sections).
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm a fidgety person; used to smoke (long time ago) to stay "busy" but can't stand to just sit. So I have many, many things I can do while sitting: coloring, scrapbooking, knitting, crocheting, reading, writing, drawing.

Otherwise, get up and get out. Go for a walk, outside, at the mall, whatever. Phone friends/family. Do some food prep. Learn a new language. Volunteer. The possibilities are endless.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Zombies Run app worked for me.
    Like a Zombie survival game you have to walk/run to collect items and hear the story.
    I look forward to my walks... and each "episode" is only about 30 mins or so.
    And you can play your music between the storylines.

ETA I just noticed that The Walk is made by the same company that made Zombies Run - so I would download both!
    If you dont get the pay version of Zombies Run - sometimes you get stuck - I just had finished the 5th episode I believe, and I had to wait 4 days to get the next one - because I had done 2 days of 2 missions per day... which sucked having to wait - but now I too will download The Walk and do that every other day to balance!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
    Go workout

When I hear people tell me that I generally tend to think that they have a very narrow definition of what "workout" means....it seems like people think it means that they have to go drone away on some stationary piece of cardio equipment or jump around their living rooms like a jack *kitten* to some DVD....there is a broad range of things you can do which constitute "working out".

What is something you enjoy doing recreationally that involves moving? Do that at various intensities throughout the week.

Personally, I always loved riding a bike...I turned casual riding into a workout by increasing my intensity and setting specific goals...i.e. X miles in Y minutes, etc. I've been cycling for awhile now and I love signing up for various tour events and time trials...I also love just going out for a nice ride...sometimes it's a higher intensity ride...sometimes it's just a cruise around the city to see the sites.

I also really like hiking in the mountains and doing a little swimming...walking the dog is a nice low impact recovery activity, etc...

Find something you enjoy doing and don't confine yourself to this little box of cardio equipment and DVDs or whatever.

Ya, I get my cardio from walking, hiking, trail maintenance, gardening, yoga, or swimming. Never get tired of these.
  • rebaisett
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Great ideas, thanks!
    Go workout

Ya, I get my cardio from walking, hiking, trail maintenance, gardening, yoga, or swimming. Never get tired of these.

I do love yoga. Used to be so good at it. Been years since I have done it. Can't wait to get that started again :)
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I started out with a cheap used treadmill from Craigslist and watching Netflix on my phone. It's still kinda lazy but at least you aren't eating at that time and when you do burn calories, it means you can eat more calories!