(Slightly tmi) diarreah post workout (running)

Options
Hi guys, i recently started running and its my second day doing so. However today right aftrr my run(which btw was not so intense as im only still a beginner, only 15 mins) i felt an urge to go to the toilet and then it happened? It was somewhat severe (no blood dw) anyway, does this mean i should change up my exercise routine? :/ i wouldnt want to as i like running but i know this cant be good. Please help a sista out. Thank youuuuuu!

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    While in High School this was a not uncommon experience during the start of a new season for this to happen. We believed that it was the body cleaning itself out with the new exercise. Should it occur with frequency, you might want to see someone.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Did you eat before your run? Maybe it was something you ate.

I had this issue when I had a high fat breakfast and then ran 5k. It's called runner's trots. It's the jostling of your digestive system from the running.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's more common than you'd think, especially with new runners.

I make a point of hitting the head before going out for a run (my morning coffee virtually guarantees results) and don't worry about TMI, most runners are not squeamish about bodily functions - we sweat, we fart, we belch, our noses run......come to think of it, it's a pretty gross sport! B)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It's your second day running so at this point, it could just be coincidence. Maybe you just have diarrhea today? I wouldn't stop running. As suggested, make a conscious effort to push one out before your run. It'll only become a more common probability as your runs get farther and take longer. Good luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, as @BrianSharpe said, it's more common than you'd think, especially when new to running. It also occurs often as a result of dehydration. If you are running in the heat, make sure you are replenishing your electrolytes and hydrating properly.
  • sara_b0702
    sara_b0702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Definitely not uncommon. It used to happen to me when I ran, about 1-2x a week; I'd finish my run and be upstairs in the bathroom not 5 min after I got home.

I'd chalk it up to the run getting your intestines moving and possibly cleaning out any leftover junk you had sitting in there. If it keeps happening after a few more runs (or you develop new symptoms, like blood or severe straining), then I'd say go see your doctor.
  • zeinabb123
    zeinabb123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Much help! :smiley:
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I ran my first ultra marathon this summer! And I experienced this on some of my runs too! It's very common, and it's actually called RID - Running Induced Diarrhea. I had to plan my runs around where there would be a bathroom, just in case... Lol!

Play around with the different foods you eat before your run. A good rule of thumb: if you plan to eat something before a run, wait 1 hour for every 100 calories you consumed. So I would usually eat a banana, wait an hour, and then go for my run!

Your body will eventually adjust, but any time your planning to push yourself to a new and greater milage (or pace), plan on having RID :)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    A lot of times, the diarrhea is diet related for established runners. For new runners, a lot of it is due to the stress of the digestive system being tossed around. Over time, the body gets used to the extra movement. And even then, sudden bouts can still occur.

Try and be mindful of your diet. Don't go eating junk food and or foods high in processed fat, especially a few days before your run. Garbage in is garbage out.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The Runner's Trots is real. When I used to run, I had one of my worst experience with it b/c I ate a slice of pizza and an hour later I went for a run a mid-length run. I was sick the entire day which sucked b/c I hate to work a 12 hour shift. I never made that mistake again.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who notices this issue just from walking? I'm sure it's just the movement getting the bowels going, but it can be so embarrassing mid-walk having to stop and take care of that...haha