Couch to 5k

Options
So I have been doing the couch to 5k app, anyone else doing it too or training for a 5k

Replies

• Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've been using the couch to 5k program on my S Health app on my Galaxy S7- I'm prepping for a color run in October. How are you liking the program?
  • shortygirl1987
    shortygirl1987 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Awolturtle wrote: »
    I've been using the couch to 5k program on my S Health app on my Galaxy S7- I'm prepping for a color run in October. How are you liking the program?

Yeah I do like it, although I have been jogging a few months before I started it, it motivates me to work towards something more
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    C25K is a great program. If you follow it, and the cautions that go with it, you should be able to run a 5K and get to that point without injury. There should be a Couch to 5K group somewhere in these forums where you can find lots of people who are currently working up to a 5K as well as recent graduates.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch To 5K on my treadmill at home :smile: Week 4 run 2 tomorrow! I'm really enjoying it so far and hoping to enter a 5k run soon as I can!
  • shortygirl1987
    shortygirl1987 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch To 5K on my treadmill at home :smile: Week 4 run 2 tomorrow! I'm really enjoying it so far and hoping to enter a 5k run soon as I can!

I wish I had a treadmill lol, I would love to use one
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    C25K is a great program. If you follow it, and the cautions that go with it, you should be able to run a 5K and get to that point without injury. There should be a Couch to 5K group somewhere in these forums where you can find lots of people who are currently working up to a 5K as well as recent graduates.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I'm doing C25K running around in my neighborhood. I have a treadmill in my basement, but I hate it with the passion of 1000 burning suns.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

One thing I would caution you of, because I discovered it myself the hard way, is that running on a treadmill and running outside are dramatically different. On a treadmill, the ground is moving for you and you're not having to actually propel yourself forward. Outside running uses lots more muscles.

The first time I went through the program, I did it entirely on a treadmill for the first several weeks and it seemed easy enough. I decided to run outside when the weather warmed, and it was like I was back to square one.

YMMV
  • indiacaitlin
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

One thing I would caution you of, because I discovered it myself the hard way, is that running on a treadmill and running outside are dramatically different. On a treadmill, the ground is moving for you and you're not having to actually propel yourself forward. Outside running uses lots more muscles.

The first time I went through the program, I did it entirely on a treadmill for the first several weeks and it seemed easy enough. I decided to run outside when the weather warmed, and it was like I was back to square one.

YMMV

Thanks for the heads up! I know it's different outside (tried it outside for the first time last year but my fitness levels were very poor and I ended up just giving up). I usually have the treadmill at an incline to try and combat that a little but eventually I do intend to go outside and if that means redoing a few weeks then I'll do that :smile: I'm just trying to build up a level of stamina first haha as I'm woeful at cardio!

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I found I ran faster outside than on a treadmill. I started using c25k on a treadmill and used an incline the whole time. Then when the mornings got lighter I went outside. I think it is because I vary my pace more outside - it's a gently undulating surface so there's a few downs as well as ups.

Keep at it!
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options

YMMV

Thanks for the heads up! I know it's different outside (tried it outside for the first time last year but my fitness levels were very poor and I ended up just giving up). I usually have the treadmill at an incline to try and combat that a little but eventually I do intend to go outside and if that means redoing a few weeks then I'll do that :smile: I'm just trying to build up a level of stamina first haha as I'm woeful at cardio!

I heard from somewhere and for the life of my I can't remember where... if you're training on a treadmill to put it at an incline of 2 to help with a transition to outside. I'll see if I can find the source when I get home from work.
  • SueInAz
    edited September 2016
    Options

YMMV

I heard from somewhere and for the life of my I can't remember where... if you're training on a treadmill to put it at an incline of 2 to help with a transition to outside. I'll see if I can find the source when I get home from work.

No need to try to find a specific source, it's everywhere because it's good advice. I don't know that it needs to be as high as 2% but that really isn't a bad place to start. Running on a flat treadmill can also cause shin splints so, really, it should be avoided anyway.

BDonjon wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I'm doing C25K running around in my neighborhood. I have a treadmill in my basement, but I hate it with the passion of 1000 burning suns.

You and me, both. I own a treadmill that we "inherited" from my in-laws a few months ago. I haven't stepped foot on it yet and it's triple digit highs here in the summer. I'd rather drag my butt out of bed and run at dawn when it's still in the low 80s outside than do a quarter mile on that horrible torture machine.
  • indiacaitlin
    Options

YMMV

Awesome thank you! Just finished Week 4 run 2 and had it on 3% :smile: super tough!
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I finished back in July I've just started b210k which is going alright lol
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    sweets1973 wrote: »
    I finished back in July I've just started b210k which is going alright lol

Good for you! I started b210k after c25k and loved it, perfect transition.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    What apps are good for starting this program?

There are lots of them, really. Do a search in Google Play or the Apple store. I had fun with Six to Start's Zombies 5K app, personally. I've been using their regular running app for years and when I started back running after having my appendix out I thought it would be interesting to try a 5K app. I was right. :smile:
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Just started week 1! Lol so I'm a newbie but really excited. :smile: been running around our subdivision because I like being outside to run.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

YMMV

I always heard that the incline should be on 1 to more closely simulate outside. I don't know that you should go any higher than that if you're trying to build endurance.
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I’ve never been a sporty person. I hated P.E. I’m 5'6 and heavy but I was fed up and wanted a change. A friend brought up c25k so I looked into it. Seemed easy enough so I thought I’d give it a try. This was during the final week of August.

I downloaded the C25k adroid app (it's by zen labs). Tomorrow I'll finish week 3. Even though some days I don't really want to wake up and do the run, I feel absolutely amazing when I finish it and more energized.