Should I really be gaining????

Options
I started an exercise program 4 weeks ago. I started with a backyard bootcamp and we did basic arm and leg weight exercises. We would also did about 30 minutes of cardio and a 1 mile walk/jog. The bootcamp ended and I have since been walking/jogging 2 miles 4-5 times a week. I am watching my calories and most days I am under my calories, but a few days over. I have GAINED 4 pounds. I am feeling very defeated. I do feel a little more toned, but really don't see a huge difference in my clothing. Is this normal????? (One positive...I do feel better so I am not giving up)! Any suggestions on how to jump start the weight loss?

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    When I joined the gym, I gained weight too. I think the added muscle does that at first, but in time that extra muscle helps you lose.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're doing so much exercise that you're building muscle. Try measuring your waist, neck, arms, thighs, etc. on a weekly basis and see if you're losing more that way. :)
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    I agree measure your inches and see how that looks. You might not see the loss on the scale as much at first with all of the exercise your doing and it's muscle cause muscle does weight more then fat. Good luck!
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    W00T W00T TO YOU! exercise was the LAST change i made. if i had made it from the start like you, i might be closer to goal by now.

i'm curious if you are WAY under your calories every day or just slightly under. you need to fuel those workouts :drinker:
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,036 Member
    Options
    I agree. Take your measurements, that will show the true progress of your efforts. Scales measure weight. ALL weight, fat, muscle and water and water weight fluctuates daily.
  • Judyhoo
    Judyhoo Posts: 8
    Options
    You are probably not eating enough. Yes, I know that sounds strange that you have to eat to lose, but there is a lot of research out there that supports this. If you cut your calories back too much, this will slow your metabolism down even though you are exercising. Thus, this makes it much harder to lose weight.

When I first joined MFP, MFP calculated my calories to be 1200 per day. After getting advice from others, including a trainer, I needed to adjust my calories to 1500 minimum per day. I lost 53 pounds in just over 6 months doing this, as well as exercising hard 5 days a week.

You might want to increase your calorie intake, eating as clean as you can, drinking a minimum of 8 glasses of water a day, and see if that makes a difference.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you are interested... Buy a bodyfat and BMI calculator (Omron on Amazon for $30) and a measuring tape, any sewing type tape will do. Get yourself a starting point with measurements.... neck,chest,hips (at widest), waist (at navel) biceps, mid thigh, and mid calf. Have someone measure you and make sure they can do it consistantly every time. Some times weight gain is muscle gain, or water retention, or just too many calories and overestimating your exercise calories. But with measurements you can really know the truth! Good luck!
  • robjennings
    Options
    You need to test your body fat percentage. Even if you are hitting your calories or slightly under what you are eating still matters. Are you eating six meals per day and consuming lots of water? Are you drinking diet sodas? Lots of variables that need to evaluated.
  • taralou20
    taralou20 Posts: 30
    Options
    You're probably puttin on muscle and as you may know, mucle weighs more than fat! So i'd say concentrate on cardio (like areobix, or using a crosstrainer) and do something like pilates to tone yourself up. Once you have lost what weight you want to loose, then is the time to concentrate on weights and gaining muscle for even more toneing.
  • r1jmeg
    r1jmeg Posts: 3
    Options
    OMG!!! Look at you! You have lost 53 pounds. YOU should be so proud of yourself. Now, to answer your question. Yes, some days I am about 400 calories under. When I started the workouts I stopped eating junk food and started loading up on fresh veggies and lots of salad. I would also include grilled chicken or tuna for protein, but it just seemed hard to get to the 1200 calories + the extra from the exercise. When I do go over...I go OVER. For example we went out for mexican food last week. YIKES...can't even count that high. LOL. The trainer who conducted the backyard bootcamp took my measurements so I am going to make a visit this week and let her remeasure. Here is to wishing and hoping.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are not gaining muscle - that's pretty much impossible to gain 4 pounds of muscle in a week. However, it's also pretty much impossible to gain 4 pounds of fat in a week unless you were gong WAY over on your calories every day and it sounds like that wasn't happening either.

It's hard to give you specific advice without being able to see your food diary but I would guess two things... 1) you are retaining water as part of the natural process of muscle healing. it stinks but it happens. Drink at least those 8 cups of water per day, if not more and start monitoring your sodium intake if you're not doing that already. 2) you may not be eating enough. Did you eat back the calories you earned from exercise? If not, try doing that - I know it sounds counterintuitive but if you're not getting enough calories in, your body will hold on to what it can (aka starvation mode) and not let the fat stores go.

Edited to add - now that you've posted, I want to add one more thing - try adding more high calorie snacks to your day then. Almonds (or other nuts) and avocados have good fats in them and are yummy too! Maybe add in other things like beans and cheese to your salads to up the calories too.
  • r1jmeg
    r1jmeg Posts: 3
    Options
    NayShel...thanks for the comments. I have gained the weight over 4 weeks. I have been exercising for 4 weeks now. :)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say you may be gaining muscle and/or retaining water. Any time you make a big lifestyle change, your body goes through a transition / adjustment period. Give it some time before you make a judgment on whether it's really working or not.

Secondly, it's not just about the number of calories you eat. It's about what kind of calories you eat, and at what times. Carbohydrate calories provide quick bursts of energy, while protein calories provide a steady burn to sustain your metabolism. So if you're going to be exercising within the next hour or so, eat carbs for that workout energy. But if it's evening, or if you know you won't be as active for the next few hours, stay away from the carbs and eat protein-rich foods instead.

Also, I'd recommend eating small amounts constantly throughout the day. If you eat a big meal and then don't eat for 5-6-7 hours, your body's metabolism may be going into fat-storing "starvation mode." Different people's bodies have different cutoff points for that. My doctor told me I need to make sure and eat something with protein in it at least every three hours while I'm awake, to keep my metabolism burning at a steady pace instead of spiking and crashing. Again, just pay attention to your body (do you get tired / lethargic at certain times of the day?) and find what works for you.
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    i think you are on target. get your calories up some. go see what those measurements are. your bod won't keep up like clockwork. you pay in with exercise, it sometimes takes a week or two for "the scale" to reflect that. that is why it is so important to recognize your effort in itself. use measurements, your sense of being to KNOW you are on the right track.