Birth control and weight loss?

Options
Hi! I'm wondering if any ladies can help me with this, I'm planning to start taking birth control, but worried about the side effect of weight gain. I don't want it to interfere with me losing weight, I've been doing great so far and scared this could hinder my progress. Does anyone have any experience with this? Did BC make you gain or make it harder to lose? Or no impact at all? Thank you :)

Replies

• novamagma
    novamagma Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry if I were you! Birth control has different effects on different people, but overall it should never be so extreme that it would hinder any progress you're making. In most BC experiences I've read about, people fluctuate or gain weight that stays on for a maybe a month or so, and then goes away once the pill starts regulating your cycle.

I just started birth control a few months ago, and although I did put on a little weight, it wasn't any more than I usually do around my period anyway, and it went away after a few weeks, probably some form of water retention or similar. I didn't notice it coming off any slower after getting on the pill versus before! Besides, the pill had way more positive effects for me: my skin is clearer, and my periods come and go predictably and without any negative symptoms, which personally makes it WAY easier to keep working out on schedule throughout the month.

My advice would be to talk to your doctor about any concerns you have, but I wouldn't let this stop you from getting on birth control. And if the weight takes a couple months to come off if you gain any, just remember to cut yourself some slack and let it pass :)
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've never gained with birth control. In fact, I've lost 20 pounds while being on birth control.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Birth control doesn't make you gain weight directly.

For some people, birth control increases (in some cases dramatically) their hunger. If you're tracking and the hunger isn't bad enough to make you eat more, you won't gain. If you're one of these people and you're not tracking, it's common to eat more because you're hungrier and, of course, eating more makes you gain weight. I *was* tracking, but the hunger was so bad that I watched myself eat more and gain weight (20 pounds before I leveled out). My horrible doctor had zero sympathy and no interest in switching me to a different pill that wouldn't have the same effect on my appetite. I am no longer with that doctor. (And no longer on the pill for unrelated reasons.)
  • TNeha
    TNeha Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I took them for about 6 months for the treatment of PCOS .It didn't had any effect on my weight , but one of the brands which I used for the first month made me feel nauseous all day .I consulted my gyno and she changed the brand .With the second one I didn't have any side effects.
  • kelsey_frame_666
    kelsey_frame_666 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been on the contraceptive injection for 9 years and haven't noticed any significant changes in my eating habits or weight. Stress levels can be high at times but that's the only down side. Everyone is different though and find one that suits you wether that be the pill, the coil etc.
  • kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used the pill for years with no issues and now I am on a Mirena IUD with also no issues! But of course, your milage may vary.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Evieelena wrote: »
    Hi! I'm wondering if any ladies can help me with this, I'm planning to start taking birth control, but worried about the side effect of weight gain. I don't want it to interfere with me losing weight, I've been doing great so far and scared this could hinder my progress. Does anyone have any experience with this? Did BC make you gain or make it harder to lose? Or no impact at all? Thank you :)

Depends on the type. Typically, the pill, NuvaRing, etc. won't make you gain more than 5 lbs. or so, and that will mostly be in the chest/booty area where it's welcome. Don't use it as an excuse to eat more or limit your work outs and you'll be fine!
  • TNeha
    Options
    It was Yasmine that made feel nauseous .
  • TNeha
    Options
    *Yasmin
  • karliwelhoelter
    karliwelhoelter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I plan on switching back to the pill I was on for 5 years, after having Mirena for 10 months. The hormones just aren't working in my favour, causing acne and weight gain around my hips and thighs. Everyone reacts differently, but I definitely had an easier time managing my weight on the pill.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The bc I took made me incredibly hungry all the time and kinda made me over eat and messed up my weight loss for 2 months until I took it out. Then it took a while for my appetite to go back to normal. It was horrible for me but I never have good reactions to bc.

Good luck I used nuvaring
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Evieelena wrote: »
    I'm going to take BC for pregnancy reasons and to help with clearing up my skin completely, so I do want to take an oral pill, something like Yasmin which I heard is good for that. But i'm going to keep tracking calories and weighing everything out, so hopefully i'll be fine, and its just water retention. I have a lot of self control, so I wouldn't go over my caloric deficit. If the hunger is super bad, ill let my dr know. I feel better about taking it now lol, thanks guys :smiley:

I currently take a generic form of Yasmin, and have not had any issues with weight loss. There are certain times when I retain water, and I tend to have the "whoosh'" effect more often than when I wasn't on it. However, as long as you continue to track your intake and eat in a calorie deficit, shouldn't affect weight loss.