Just curious-mowing the lawn

Options
I mowed my lawn today with a push mower, it took an hour. Do others count that as exercise? I normally only could my working out calories (not causal walks etc) but I am wondering if I should count this.

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I typically do, because it is not something I do everyday. I don't, however, include cleaning the house because I often do that each day as part of my routine.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would not. This is part of your base activity level (i.e. sedentary, active, etc.) and would be factored into your base calories. Don't log it and just know you burned a few extra calories and your lovely, freshly mowed lawn is your reward.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I count it because I mow once every week and half to two weeks. Something that infrequent is not considered my base activity. If I was a landscaper for a living then that would be base. Our yard is rather big and our mower isn't self propelled so it leaves me pretty exhausted. More so than my usual workouts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    By a push mower do you mean one of these?

w3xoloybkdl8.jpg

If you have your activity level set at sedentary and this is something new maybe......but I think I'd try to base the calorie burn on the distance walked.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never counted it specifically...I just figured it was a bonus and had a beer when I was done.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I usually have my I-Phone with me and it counts and transfers the steps to MFP. I count it as steps.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit counts it. I average about 10,000 steps when I mow my lawn.
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ha! No, I have a typical gas powered push mower.

Well, I have my activity level as sedentary and it is a full hour of pushing and walking so I am going to count it but not as high as MFP says, they give me about 350 but I am just going to take 200 of it.
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I mow the lawn every other week. I have hilly terrain and spend an hour. I use my HRM and it tells me about 600 cals/hour mowing. I log as exercise but don't eat all the calories back.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with any estimations as I typically adjust my calories if I'm not getting desired weight change. It's pretty much figured in as is shoveling snow or any other seasonal work.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ha! No, I have a typical gas powered push mower.

Well, I have my activity level as sedentary and it is a full hour of pushing and walking so I am going to count it but not as high as MFP says, they give me about 350 but I am just going to take 200 of it.

That seems high, that's what I burn for like 40 mins of running 4 miles!