Exercise with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (also known as ME)

Options
I've just been diagnosed with CFS (which explains a lot) and was just wondering if there's anyone else out there with the same/similar and how they manage to fit in exercise around the rest of life? Especially with limited energy. Specifically any students on how to fit that in around studying and managing energy levels?

Any advice really would be really appreciated as I won't be getting any medical support from either a physio or OT until after my next appointment, which isn't until January!

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a generic blanket term that docs will hand out to people who say they are tired all the time. Basically, it is a disorder with no specific etiology; so all it really means is "this patient gets tired a lot".

Generally, pts with this Dx have somethimg wrong with them that is causing the fatigue that does have an etiology (such as low grade narcolepsy or myasthenia gravis) that the physician just wasn't able to Dx or didn't care to take the time to Dx.

Were you referred to a neurologist for an EEG or RNS studies? It will be difficult to give you advice on how to manage your condition without knowing exactly what it is.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    i have rheumatoid arthritis. my immune system periodically gets confused and attacks my joint tissue as if it was a virus. i've been seriously lucky as far as inflammation and damage, but the fatigue is like nothing that ever happened to me before. idk anything about cfs, but i'm going to assume that it's another immune-cluster thing, so for whatever it's worth, here are my own set of thoughts:

- you can't fight a flare. it does NOT go away by itself if you just bear down and keep pushing through it. my cure for a flare is mostly made up of sleep and grief. oh yeah, and rage :p
    - do anything that you can, whenever you can, but don't get so invested in any of it that you get bitter the next time a setback takes it away. this is an emotional balancing act that i'll probably never perfect for myself.
    - don't compare yourself. not even to yourself from six weeks ago.
    - keep trucking.
    - understand that most 'societies' assembled around the idea of a specific illness have a very sunshine-up-butt kind of agenda whether they know it or not. psychologically, they're mostly in the business of creating poster children. so it's easy to feel minimized by the exact organizations you expect to be able to go to for help. don't blank them, but don't let them tell you who you are or what your personal form of the issue is like.
    - if you can't find a trainer/coach/whatever who's willing to take you seriously because you have a 'disease', blow them off. keep looking. that includes the gung-ho types who can't accommodate the idea of you having different needs, AND the cotton-wool types who want you to 'exercise' by sitting in a corner and meditating. find out for yourself what you can and can't do. you get to set your own boundaries AND your own bars.

good luck. it gets easier to do that last one when you've gotten better acquainted with it. but it stinks anyway.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @canadianlbs I have Crohn's which is also an autoimmune disease and the fatigue is overwhelming!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^^^ thank you so much for that :p i could write entire arias just around the surreality of it . . . it's almost like a kind of delirium.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ thank you so much for that :p i could write entire arias just around the surreality of it . . . it's almost like a kind of delirium.

Totally! Naps are my best friend. I don't fight it anymore! I'm not even flaring atm (I'm not in remission but I'm pretty stable because of Remicade and imuran) but it's still awful. I can't even explain it. I feel like I'm 90
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I can't even explain it. I feel like I'm 90
    like they turned the gravity up. like you're an ant toiling along on the floor of the marianas trench. like you're looking at the world through an aquarium, with that weird water-refracted fluorescent tint to the light.

when you eyeball spaces under every horizontal surface in every environment and fantasize about being able to crawl in there and just go to sleep. bushes, desks . . . i've actually ducked into bathrooms at work and taken micro-naps folded up over myself on the toilet, to keep myself going through a day.

and the most surreal thing is it never varies and it doesn't show. if i were weak, i could fall down. if i were shaky i could stumble. i'm not weak and i'm not shaky. i just need to sleep for six hours to recoup enough energy to get dressed and put my shoes on.

sorry, op :) i just hijacked your thread.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've had ME for over a decade and my experience is you will have good days/weeks/months and bad ones. You can't let that worry you. Progress will not be linear.

What exercise to do depends very much on your symptoms. In addition to fatigue most patients have a range of other symptoms - for me a lot is cognative, but also struggle with hip and shoulder pains which comes and goes in weeks/months blocks. When I have a lot of physical symptoms I cut exercise down as much as I need to. I have a rebounder which helps to reduce impact and I can take slowly. Doesn't burn huge numbers of calories, but it keeps me moving. When physically I'm feeling good I lift some weights where I can to try and build a little muscle and generally strengthen my body.

I've done some amazing things, even battling ME - I've hiked the inca trail for instance (but I paid for it in pain for some weeks after) and I've done 3 day husky treks in the arctic. Its a bit harder than normal - but I've never known normal or the challenges "normal folk" have.

My biggest difference comes from food. I cut out ALL sugar and saw an enormous difference. I then tried to Montignac Method and I thrived on it - but it can be a bit complicated at times. Balanced whatever energy I had out, and I didn't get as many peaks and troughs. I'm currently doing lower carb/keto inspired. Not for everyone by any shot but seems to be working.

I've found the key is to experiment, dont push yourself hard, and try and take a graded approach. All depends on the severity of your symptoms at any given time

Joxx
  • ellielittlewood20
    ellielittlewood20 Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a generic blanket term that docs will hand out to people who say they are tired all the time. Basically, it is a disorder with no specific etiology; so all it really means is "this patient gets tired a lot".

Generally, pts with this Dx have somethimg wrong with them that is causing the fatigue that does have an etiology (such as low grade narcolepsy or myasthenia gravis) that the physician just wasn't able to Dx or didn't care to take the time to Dx.

Were you referred to a neurologist for an EEG or RNS studies? It will be difficult to give you advice on how to manage your condition without knowing exactly what it is.

I'm waiting to go for more testing at the moment, but the CFS consultant said something about metabolic fatigue and how it links to things like depression and anxiety (which is also an issue for me).
  • ellielittlewood20
    Options
    Thankyou for all your wonderful advice :) it's also majorly comforting to know that I'm not the only one who's dealing with this sort of thing, and have been on a longer time scale. A lot of the time it's easy to beat yourself up about not being able to do whatever, so all the things you've been saying are great :)
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ok - you are so not alone! Quite a few of us on MFP, eg I have had CFS for 2 years..

I have had good support and advice I think - we have a CFS centre here in London, and I had a young doctor. The advice has been very much - energy managemt (Google spoon theory, and energy envelope) with a real view to avoid doing too much (no pushing through the fatigue, rest instead) but build what you can do by eg getting gently fitter through graded Excercise and by anxiety management so your mind does not get over tired...(Google mindfulness). When the energy management goes well, you also gradually build your capacity as you are not stressing self and so body can do some recovery.

So in terms of excercise I started off with swimming - to be honest in the beginning even walking to the Pool was a bit tough. So I had a rest on arriving before doing a few laps. And a long bed rest afterwards. That was my base level that did not make me iller. But every 2 weeks or so, I'd add another 50m to the swim and let my body get use to that. And started cutting the post walk rest etc. No big increases, no couch to 5k!

Nowadays I regularly swim 1k (but cut back to 700 or so if I am having a bit of a relapse) and have got back to swimming. If nothing much is going on (ie I am on holiday and so no household tasks, elderly parents, work relate stuff) I can cycle on the flat for hours.... But back home in my usual environment, I cannot push that hard.

I have still to cut out the afternoon bed rest - but the noon was has gone apart from for bad times (eg when I am living way beyond my energy envelope as parents unwell). But getting well is taking a long time, and tests all sorts of things ... And I am lucky enough that I do not have to rush back to full time work / study.

I think the excercise has been really helpful - to expand my 'battery', to keep me positive (endorphins), to see very gradual progres and to make myself realise I am doing the best I can to look after my body. But you do need to take a gentle graded
    Approach

Hope this helps - and good luck. Xx

• gentlygently
    Options
    (Btw I am on the September 'move' challenge on MFP - I chose this one as a) it is a nice mix of big excercisers b) people getting into excercises with 'low' goals c) you set goals that fit you d) it is supportive e) some people on it have health issues.... Been on it for the last 3 months or so.....might suit you too?)
  • trudiebamford
    trudiebamford Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here! But I had to respond to this. I have/had CFS/ME. Two years ago I was incapacitated to the point of needing to use a stick to walk with, and sometimes needing a wheelchair. Standing for more than a few minutes would wipe me out for days. I was also, understandably, 60lb overweight. And in constant pain, on lots of medications.

I decided to try to clean up my diet, I did a 100 day challenge, no sugar, no gluten, nothing processed. By the end of it I could feel a huge difference in my health, so I kept going. After about a year of that, I'd lost some weight, and was feeling much much better. I decided to try to work up some fitness next. I bought a recumbent exercise bike (so I could exercise while physically supported - I found sitting without a back support very tiring), and started small. I did 1 mile the first time, it took me ten minutes. I very very gradually increased my exercise, both in duration and intensity, dialling it back a notch every time I felt ill after it.

It only took about six weeks for me to really feel a difference energy-wise. A year later, I would say I'm 90% recovered. I still sometimes knock myself back, but only because nowadays I sometimes forget (sometimes deliberately!) to allow for limitations. Nowadays I exercise vigorously for 45 minutes every day. I alternate between the bike, weights, a rowing machine, and barre class. Two days ago I went for a walk, and on the route there is a very steep very long hill, on which I used to have to pause several times when walking. I thought I'd see if I could jog up it, and to my surprise found that I could actually sprint up it! (Although I did feel a bit rubbish the next day....)

I don't think you ever fully recover from a chronic illness like that (or not everyone), but I now believe that with very good nutrition (and I am certain it has to start there), and careful fitness conditioning, you can absolutely get it under control. Or into remission. I'm off all my medication now, and I can honestly say, I'm the fittest & strongest I've ever been in my life.
  • gentlygently
    Options
    I's like to second Trudi's comment about sometimes deliberately doing 'too much' - I guess it is the CFS equivalent of having a big stuff from time to time! It helps keep you sane...enjoying life..testing your current limits. As long as most of the time you are being mindful of managing energy. Just plan to/accept you may well tired the next day.... If I am super organised, I rest up in advance too.

I also went low gluten and low sugar for a long time - i had, like most CFS folks, IBS symptoms and an unhappy gut. Now I munch away on most things. Another 'getting better' sign for me. Given my journey, I am less convinced that nutrition is The primary key to recovery, but it may well be for you ofcourse. And it certainky matters.

In terms of volume of excercise: I aim for vigorous every other day, and atleast 30 mins of walking every day. I am easily fitter than most people my age, and score well enough on fitness monitoring. But I was pretty fit before I got sick too....
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Also suffered from cfs after a virus five years ago. Lasted about two years and was basically living off glucose energy drinks and takeaways to struggle through the day. Was involved in a lot of sport before and went from skating, dance class and gym several hours a day, to having to sit down if I walked to corner shop ( 5 minutes walk away).
    For me getting the diet sorted helped big time. As soon as I managed to have a couple of sensible eating weeks i didn't have the energy lifts and slumps from the drinks. I have later found out some food additives make me lethargic too.
    Exercise wise I started by walking round block. Mile and a half plus being in a village their are benches at convenient intervals. Then joined gym where I started out doing few lengths in pool, and worked up to aqua classes.. main thing was choosing activities I could do at my pace and stop if it was starting to affect me.
    Luckily seem to be over the worst now but still worry if I'm unexplainably tired.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't care for this dx. Get going.