Not making any progress-what am I doing wrong?

Options
I'm 28 years old, 5'3" weighing in between 147-149lbs. I started at 155lbs and my caloric intake goal was 1200 calories, trying to maintain my macros at 40 P, 30 F, 30 C. My carb intake consisted of vegetables, fruit and a whole grain serving at one meal a day. I did that for 3 weeks and was able to get down to 144lbs. At the same time I was running 3-4 times a week to build up to running a 5k, doing strength training with a personal trainer twice a week. I decided to increase my cardio and start Insanity 2 weeks ago, on my third week now. I started to increase my caloric intake to 1400-1500 calories and started increasing my carbs because of the increased cardio, I was following the Insanity nutrition guide.
Now I'm back up, teetering between 147 and 149lbs. I'm frustrated, I was seeing progress and now I'm not. I'm trying to account for muscle gain, but I don't see how I could gain that much muscle in 2 weeks. I need to get to 120lbs by February so that my health insurance rate doesn't increase.
Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake? Eyeballing, measuring cups, food scale?

Start with weighing all solids in grams. Get a food scale.

Most likely cause is you are eating more than you think :)

~Lyssa
  • tabilw
    tabilw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am using both measuring cups/spoons and a food scale. I try to measure everything but admit that sometimes I just eyeball it because I'm running out of time to measure.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Use the cups/spoons for liquids and the scale for all your solids.

Do your best to reduce your eyeballing - find more time to prep, limit how often you're going out for lunch, etc.

If you can stick to weighing everything for 4 weeks or so, you should see some progress :)

~Lyssa
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I gained 4lbs the first 2 weeks of Insanity Max 30. It was water retention. My muscles and body were adapting. I'm now in my first week of month 2 and the water weight is gone.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You've increased carbs and exercise. You're almost definitely retaining water.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Scales are the devil. It's a measurement of your weight against the earth, not fat loss.

Stay consistent and you'll see it come off- swearsies!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Your 5'3'' and your health insurance will go up if you aren't 120 pounds? What?

Is that....is that a thing?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Your 5'3'' and your health insurance will go up if you aren't 120 pounds? What?

Is that....is that a thing?

@tabilw I think you made a typo or misunderstood someone. At 5'3", you will still be in Normal Weight up to 139 pounds. If your insurance company is in fact penalizing Normal Weight people this should be a national news story.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

6fba3dd5f23b9c60aa8134ee69a72a35.png
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Why not go back to doing exactly what you were doing when you lost the first 11 lbs?
  • tabilw
    tabilw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So the way my health insurance works is that I have to be in the normal range which is 24.9 BMI and 2 points less than the previous year (staying within the normal range) They want me to be at 22 BMI. If I get below 18.5 I get penalized as well.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    tabilw wrote: »
    So the way my health insurance works is that I have to be in the normal range which is 24.9 BMI and 2 points less than the previous year (staying within the normal range) They want me to be at 22 BMI. If I get below 18.5 I get penalized as well.

Is this even legal? What insurance is this?
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    That makes no sense that they expect you to lose weight every year. I also find it hard to believe that they require a "normal" BMI of under 25. Do you realize how few people are actually at that in the US?
    My insurance pays $100 bonus if your BMI is 29 or under (still overweight but not obese) but it's certainly not required to get insurance - you just have to have the screening. I was hoping to make it this year but I'm going to miss by about 10 lbs. But, when I hit it, I can go back to the Dr and then I'll get the $100.
  • DeanneScott2
    DeanneScott2 Posts: 28 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm the same height and started at the same weight. At first I lost really quickly. So I started eating 1400 to 1500 on days I exercised and my weight stalled. I have started eating 1200 to 1300 no matter whether I exercised or not and the weight started coming off again. Maybe try not eating back the exercise calories and see how you go.
  • Marcelbaril
    Marcelbaril Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What i'm doing is cutting carbs as much as possible, no whole grain. more like taking in lipids to make the body work, like in the ketogenic diet.