Saw myself on film today

Options
Ugh... I hated how I looked. I've been feeling good about myself lately because I know that I'm in better shape and clothes are starting to fit better. However I saw myself on film today and I looked like a blob... I don't know if I feel motivated or discouraged right now. I just hate looking at myself, especially from the side. I was sweaty and gross and every other fat girl stereotype. I just feel like getting my dream body is impossible... I am so far away from it, literally 100+ pounds away... :'(

How do y'all stay motivated when your insecurities threaten to take over? How do you stay positive?

Replies

• mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    nothing is impossible and we are always more critical of ourselves. If your clothes are starting to fit better thats proof positive that you are doing something right. Don't give up you can do this
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I hated taking photos and during a very animated conversation I didn't realize the person was recording me . . . so I can imagine how you feel (that was about 84 pounds ago).

I would suggest getting on you tube and finding some videos of overweight people working out (really not to be laughed at) and just learn to see and appreciate what your body can do. Seeing others that look like me help me to 1) not take myself so serious 2) realize that no matter how bad I think I look I might just be motivating someone else.

100+ pound is a lot but it is doable and every ounce counts so take your time do not be so hard on yourself and think about each day how what you are doing is helping someone else even if you don't see or hear about it.

One day you can look back at that video and not even imagine who that person was.
  • jmkisby
    jmkisby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Use it to push you! Sometimes I take bad pictures from the past and current and look at them on purpose. The way you look isn't permanent- use it to fuel your change!
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Take that video and compare it to a photo of you at a higher weight. Are you where you want to be? No, but you are closer than you were. Don't give up
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I know what you mean! I hate seeing pictures of myself that other people have taken, I used to just delete them or just not take them. Then I started to use them as motivation, as what I don't want to look like anymore! I have to record myself 2 times in the next few months though for school....not looking forward to seeing myself in motion, and presenting it to my entire class :expressionless:
  • lily083087
    lily083087 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just posted a thread very similar. I feel the same way!!! Let's support each other!!!
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    I hated taking photos and during a very animated conversation I didn't realize the person was recording me . . . so I can imagine how you feel (that was about 84 pounds ago).

I would suggest getting on you tube and finding some videos of overweight people working out (really not to be laughed at) and just learn to see and appreciate what your body can do. Seeing others that look like me help me to 1) not take myself so serious 2) realize that no matter how bad I think I look I might just be motivating someone else.

100+ pound is a lot but it is doable and every ounce counts so take your time do not be so hard on yourself and think about each day how what you are doing is helping someone else even if you don't see or hear about it.

One day you can look back at that video and not even imagine who that person was.

Now that's a simple, but great idea. Because really we have this impression that everywhere we look, no matter the media, everyone and his mother-in-law is a "Instagram model".

(Plus it's less creepy than staring at people in person. :p )
  • dancing_chemical
    dancing_chemical Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support, everyone. I just needed to vent with people who would understand :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I understand this feeling - but I assure you (without even seeing you) you are NOT 'a blob'. We, as women, can be appallingly critical of ourselves, to the point of self-bullying. If we do not visibly see a Victoria's Secret clone looking back at us in the mirror, we will find a way to put ourselves down. We just will. And you know what? It's sad. I do it too - I may have lost 2 pounds that week but I'll look in the mirror and my eyes will instantly go down to my stomach which still has a slight 'overhand' or my arms that I still deem to be 'a little large. *Sigh*.

Think of how good you felt about yourself, how your clothes are fitting you better and how much healthier you feel right now. Don't let that little voice inside your head telling you that you aren't good enough rear it's head. You're doing amazingly.