Meeting daily protein and calcium quota

Options
I'm struggling to eat enough protein and calcium. Typically I have Fage 2% yogurt for breakfast with berries and nuts. But then no more calcium for the day. I've only begun to change my eating habits in the past month and lost 9.4 lbs! (80 to go) Thank you for your input!

Replies

• bvplh
    bvplh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to my greek yogurt for a snack that's packed with protein and calcium (as well as fiber and healthy fats). I also drink soy milk (more protein) fortified with calcium carbonate. You could also try adding more greens and/or dairy to your diet.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Milk usually has added calcium, each cup has about 40 grams, cheeses usually have around 20-40 grams, then most of the protein shakes and bars also have added calcium about 10-15 grams. I believe a multi vitamin should take care of your problem though.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy or nuts, so I eat a considerable amount of leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables for each meal. I am able to make the quota. If you can handle dairy, the combo could really help your daily intake.

As for protein, it is advised that a person eats as much as the size of their palm for each meal. Meat, poultry, seafood, offal, avocados, lentils, beans, seeds and nuts are all good sources of protein. Salmon with skin, sardines, and bone broth are easy ways to get both protein and calcium in your body.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taking a supplement? I can very easily reach my calcium goals with things like fortified nut milks (lower in calories than regular milk and doesn't break me out), as well as calcium set tofu. Also maybe try adding in a leafy green salad with your supper or lunch?
  • Javachipgirl
    Javachipgirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! I am getting into a routine of taking a supplement. I'm a diabetic so I need to watch the nut milks. As for soy--I'm very sensitive so I have it only twice a week. Thank you for your input!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I had blood work done and a calcium supplement worked very well for me.