Soylent.... wow

Carpercia
Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
Anyone tried it?
It looks a little dangerous / risky but I guess they are just assumptions that I'm making without having all the facts or any experience.

Anyone have experience with it?

Replies

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    I'm sure it's safe. I wouldn't recommend living off of liquid calories with no fiber, though. That seems like a recipe for disaster if it's all you're eating.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    It's actually not bad. It's a balanced diet, has less protein than i'd like, doesn't hardly taste at all...

What about it worries you?

*note: I'm not a regular user, but I've tried some from each new iteration of the product.
  • Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    It's actually not bad. It's a balanced diet, has less protein than i'd like, doesn't hardly taste at all...

What about it worries you?

*note: I'm not a regular user, but I've tried some from each new iteration of the product.

I wouldn't say that anything specifically about it worries me.
    I think that probably because I have not used it, I lack the experience and / or data to get to a conclusion and so I was curious about it.

For me, personally - I can cut calories but theres no way I can give up food for a replacement like that! :smile:
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    - Isn't like 450 calories a serving?
    At about $3 a serving- expensive. Cheaper would be protein powder, a multivitamin, and some fat of some kind added.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    rsleighty wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4

Sorry... I couldn't help myself.

My mind went there too lol.
  • rickyberkey
    rickyberkey Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2016
    I get the pre-mixed in a bottle delivered. I don't live off it but use it for a quick late night meal at work and sometimes it helps me avoid giving in to McDonalds and Taco Bell if I have one to drink for breakfast on the way home. It's balanced nutrition, you can quibble about whether it should have more or less fat, protein and carbs but I like it as a consistent 400 calorie meal replacement. I enjoy the taste although it's probably too bland for most who think they need a sweeter, more flavorful portion. The main thing is that it's at hand and ready when I need it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    I get the pre-mixed in a bottle delivered. I don't live off it but use it for a quick late night meal at work and sometimes it helps me avoid giving in to McDonalds and Taco Bell if I have one to drink for breakfast on the way home. It's balanced nutrition, you can quibble about whether it should have more or less fat, protein and carbs but I like it as a consistent 400 calorie meal replacement. I enjoy the taste although it's probably too bland for most who think they need a sweeter, more flavorful portion. The main thing is that it's at hand and ready when I need it.

400 calories? Wow..rather have eggs and bacon.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    There is another thread about this that has a blog posted of a man that did the soylent diet for 30 days
  • rickyberkey
    rickyberkey Posts: 34 Member
    So have bacon and eggs, nobody is saying you need to try it if you don't want to. I'm curious why a product like this brings out such strong reactions from people. It is simply one of many possible alternatives to fixing a meal or dining out.
  • uclaxtina
    uclaxtina Posts: 67 Member
    I think Soylent works best for people who would otherwise eat junk food. I've been drinking one Soylent bottle (400 cals) in the morning along with protein powder. It doesn't leave me feeling lethargic like a meal from McDonalds would or donuts/sweets in the morning. I've also noticed that I don't feel hungry until much closer to lunchtime. I can drink Soylent at 7am and not feel hungry until 12 noon or later. Previously if I ate McDonalds or even just a bowl of cereal I would start getting hungry around 10am.
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    I'm sure it's safe. I wouldn't recommend living off of liquid calories with no fiber, though. That seems like a recipe for disaster if it's all you're eating.

Soylent has fibre. :)
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Soylent is..... people.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 217 Member
    edited September 2016
    I have and continue to eat Soylent for Breakfast and Lunch since February of this year. Its a very useful tool, its easy to count calories, you feel full, it has complete nutrition, low glycemic index, it costs about 1.70 per 500 calories, it gives a person no excuse to eat fast food - nothing is faster than Soylent. For dinner, I eat whatever I want for as long as I make it at home - as long as I am within my calories. Yes, Soylent has plenty of fiber, my stool is solid and regular. My cholesterol levels have improved dramatically and my doctor is impressed with my lifestyle change.

Soylent has helped me loose 50 pounds. I guess eating people worked for me. :D

tv4lcz1glv98.jpg

• AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    So are you planning to eat people for the rest of your life?

Why it is good for people who like to eat fast food?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited September 2016
    Some people have used and been fine there have been a few people that had real issues.
    This is basically an untested food if you want to use it as a monolithic nutrient resource. I'm not going to be someone's test case in this area. But look at the soylent web site - there are a few DIY tools.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    It's basically liquified food. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I personally like to chew my food and enjoy variety. Anyone who likes it, good for them. I have tried a homemade version a friend was doing, and I can't imagine doing this for more than one experimental day. It would get boring too fast.