Feeling hopeless

Options
I had some good success earlier this year but lost my way a bit. Now I'm trying to refocus but I'm struggling with motivation and maintaining focus. Right now I have no interest in eating right or exercising but I'm managing to carry on, for now. I'm really struggling to motivate myself to exercise, it's such a relentless boring grind when I have other things I'd rather be doing. Does anyone have advice on how to get through these spells?

Replies

• S2tupidAss
    S2tupidAss Posts: 25 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's not always so much fun to leave something we enjoy for a workout. However, the aftermath benefits of exercise are what make us leave our comfort zones. Nothing grows from there, we should learn to challenge ourselves to get up. Come to MFP and learn from others' diaries, maybe you can get the wake up call to the gym.
  • Mightymjolner33
    Options
    I've found over time if you switch up your routine it can make it seem fresh, either by tweaking your current program or changing it up altogether. Along with that it could be time to step back, reevaluate your goals and remember why you're doing this in the first place. Just take heart in the fact that even if your mind isn't currently engaged your body is still reaping the benefits of your hard work. In time your mind will re-engage and you'll find that motivation that prompted you to start exercising. This long journey can have many peaks and valleys, just remember it's a marathon not a race. You got this, and we as a community have your back. Keep at it, your body and your health will thank you for it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I bore easily. If I'm bored I will eventually give the activity up.

Nowadays at the first sign of boredom I go looking to try new routines and activities. It also helps if I sign up for an event a few months in advance.

I suggest you try a whole bunch of activities to see what challenges you.

http://www.canadiandeathrace.com
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I get disheartened and bored with exercise very easily so for me, it's vital to mix up my routine. I've recently quit the gym and the monotonous treadmill/spinning classes and started learning to dance using home DVD's! I've been really enjoying it. I'm currently doing Shaun T's "CIZE" programme and I Love it! I think the key is to find something you actually enjoy doing. When something becomes tedious, it's very hard to stay motivated :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Watch entertaining youtubes out of your phone while working out on machines.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    The outcome or the results need to be MORE IMPORTANT than the obstacles or the task at hand. If your goal is to add years to your life, be stronger, or to finally stop looking in the mirror and not liking the person you see, then you will get to the desired result NO MATTER what the challenge may be. When you wake up and dread going to the gym tell yourself, I'm going to the gym because I am a go-getter, I am exercising because I want to add 10 or 20 more years to my life, I am going to the gym because my family is worth it and depends on me, you will most likely do it because you are focused on the result, not the obstacle. Your tone in this thread states that exercise is boring and it is so much other things that you could be doing, and that's what you believe. Since you believe that you are going to have a hard time motivating yourself. But if you believe you are a GOAL CRUSHER, you will figure out how to maximize your 24 hours you have in a day. YOU should be your number 1 priority, over 'other things that you would rather do'...So revise your goals and most importantly change your mind and views AND gooooooooo get'em.
  • Jalexander33
    Jalexander33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Like Gothchiq said Youtube is a really great place to see positive and fun motivation. There is a video about a guy who weight well over 600 lbs, he got on Bodybuilding.com to troll the boards/forums and ended up being encouraged and motivated. I watch it from time to time just for encouragement.

Set small goals. It might be something as simple as do 10/15 minutes of cardio 3 times this week. Over the weekend walk the dogs for 30 minutes.

I get bored easy just like anyone else but what keeps my drive at 110% is the fact I see physical change in my body. I primarily lift weights 3/4 times a week at a high intense rate. I sprinkle in 20/30 minute cardio sessions 3/4 times during the week. In doing this I see physical changes in my body. Lines, cuts, bulking muscle growth. My wife took a picture of my calves and there are major cuts coming in. Everyday I see things like this I'm just excited and want more. Now if I didn't see these gains I could say without a doubt I would lose drive slowly to the point I would stop working out. Find your drive, we got ya back so lean on us for that support too!
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Think back on how / why you started this journey. What is you end goal? Now break that down in to smaller tasks & build in a reward for yourself that isn't about food.

Personally, for me there is a bikini at the end of this. I am bound & determined to rock that cute little suit next Spring on my birthday. Whenever I feel lazy I remind myself that sitting on my *kitten* will only cause it to get bigger & then I won't fit in the bikini. The thought of still hating my body next spring after spending on that money on what will be the "trip of a lifetime" gets me going.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I had some good success earlier this year but lost my way a bit. Now I'm trying to refocus but I'm struggling with motivation and maintaining focus. Right now I have no interest in eating right or exercising but I'm managing to carry on, for now. I'm really struggling to motivate myself to exercise, it's such a relentless boring grind when I have other things I'd rather be doing. Does anyone have advice on how to get through these spells?

What is your goal? Why is it a goal? What do you need to do to get there?

For weight loss you just need to stick to your calorie deficit. That is all. Logging everything as accurately as you can help.
    It is great if you eat enough protein, lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains but a big diet change is not required to lose weight. If your goal is changing your diet due to a medical condition then it is required. Why is "eating right" a goal? What is "eating right"? Are you being to restrictive or vague about what is healthy food? Eat in a sustainable way. Use most of your calories on foods with more nutrients rather than low nutrient foods and drinks. It is like making a budget and shopping. Spend your calories wisely and you get more value.
    Exercise is good for you but not required to lose weight. If your goal is improving your fitness level then it is required to exercise in a way that will lead to that. No fitness goal? Try to walk a bit more.