Low calorie.. but high fat

Options
I have been on a low calorie diet for a week of 1200 or a little under. When i look at the macros on this app it shows iv ate a lot of fat. Iv met my calorie intake of 1200. Will this really effect my weight?

Replies

• anishaadalal
    anishaadalal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I have.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't matter, calories do.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and goals OP? How much weight are you trying to lose? Are you exercising? If so are you eating a portion of those calories back? Are you logging accurately, ideally using a food scale?

Calories are what matter for weight loss, but 1200 is the minimum threshold for women and many can lose eating more than that. Your comment that you eat 1200 or below is a bit concerning.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The previous posters are correct and calories are what matters. I just wondered - what is 'a lot of fat'? 20%? 30%? More?
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

This! I have pre-logged 4 x mini babybels for tonight, you know what eff that make it EIGHT
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »

This! I have pre-logged 4 x mini babybels for tonight, you know what eff that make it EIGHT

Why not have some proper cheese / buy it in a big block?!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If your main aim is to simply drop the pounds, it doesn't matter what those calories consist of.
    It's not 'ideal' however, to eat only sugar until you get to goal - but technically speaking, if you aren't going above your calorie allowance, you'll still lose. Crazy, right? Listen, if it's working for you and you have energy and feel good in your body doing it your way, do it your way. :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low calorie diet for a week of 1200 or a little under. When i look at the macros on this app it shows iv ate a lot of fat. Iv met my calorie intake of 1200. Will this really effect my weight?

As many have said, no. Calories are king. Do you use a food scale or all solid and semi solid food?

Why are you eating so little? Don't eat under 1200. Don't aim for a ~2lb per week loss if you have less than 50lbs to lose.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay under calorie goal, you will lose weight. I happen to prefer a high fat diet, getting an average of 60-70% of my calories from fat. Keeps me feeling full, even in a deficit.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What do you mean "a lot of fat"? Are you getting enough protein? Is so, in a calorie restricted diet, there is no such animal as "a lot of fat". Get your protein, track cals, done.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Should be fine. Some lose better with a high fat diet. They find it reduces appetite and stabalizes hormones. I'm one of those. My diet is around 75% fat and I am the healthiest I've been in decades.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One thing to realize is that if you are losing a lot of weight then practically speaking in terms of your metabolism you are on a high fat diet because that 500 or 1000 calories deficit is coming out of your fat stores. If having most of your energy coming from fat was a problem we'd all be in trouble.

That said....make sure you are getting enough nonfat in your diet. You still need protein, carbs and your micros and with high fat and 1200 calories you might not be getting enough of those nutrients you need.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How many grams of fat do you usually consume? What do you have your fat % set at?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    One thing to realize is that if you are losing a lot of weight then practically speaking in terms of your metabolism you are on a high fat diet because that 500 or 1000 calories deficit is coming out of your fat stores. If having most of your energy coming from fat was a problem we'd all be in trouble.

I am so happy someone realizes this :) We are consuming our own flesh :p

This is also blowing a hole in the theory that saturated fat is bad for us, isn't it.