Flax seed

Options
cinico
cinico Posts: 294 Member
I believe in the importance of consuming flax; however, the side effects are not fun!

How do you take flax seed to avoid the gas associated with it?

Replies

• evymvan
    evymvan Posts: 7
    Options
    I put in in my yogurt and never have problems....
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I too put it in my yogurt; and have never had an issue with it. Started using it because I was told it would help with the hot flashes; can't say I've noticed it helping, but the fiber can't hurt so still take it occaisonally.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I throw a tablespoon of ground flax seed into my smoothies. Hasn't bothered me yet.

You are grinding them up first, right? Your body can't break them down if they're whole. You should also raise your water intake when you raise your fiber intake or you may get backed up.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that they need to be ground up - do you have a source for that? I usually add a couple of teaspoons to a pot of yoghurt or soy pudding.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with it. I put it in yogurt, and every protein shake.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that they need to be ground up - do you have a source for that? I usually add a couple of teaspoons to a pot of yoghurt or soy pudding.

Here are a few. Everything I've ever read says they should be ground though.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/AN01258
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed?page=3
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I was adding the ground flax seed to my oatmeal which might be the problem! To much fiber all at once! I will try it on my yogurt! :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Wal mart sells two brands of milled (ground) flaxseed. Bob's Red, and WildRoots. I prefer the WildRoots, because the package is opaque, resealable, and the flavor just seems to be better.

I eat it in smoothies, or oatmeal usually. When I was eating a lot of yogurt, it went in there.
  • chris5432
    chris5432 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    when all else fails try Beano :blushing: :smile: