Need your input

Options
Hey guys I've been looking for a routine that hits each body part twice a week. If anyone can direct me to one it would be a great help. I am in the gym 5 days a week doing mostly cardio, used to lift but it's been a while. My recovery for upper body is very quick, but legs kill me. I've constructed this workout plan, please feel free to give me your input I'd very much appreciate it. Monday-Back/biceps
Barbell curl
Preacher curl
Wide grip pull down
Seated rowing
Hyper extension
Barbell row
Tuesday-Chest/triceps
Incline dumbbell press
Flat dumbbell press
Incline flys
Lying tricep extension
Rope push down
Dumbbell extension
Wednesday-Legs/shoulders
Squats
Leg press
Leg extension
Leg curl
Seated Dumbbell press
Side lateral raises/
Shrugs
Thursday and Friday are the same as Monday and Tuesday with little tweaks. Saturday and Sunday are off. 3 sets each for the most part. Abs are done 3 times a week. Again thanks for your input I'd really appreciate it.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your legs likely kill you because you only work them once a week compared to 5 days of upper body. I'd suggest doing a 4 day upper/lower split, which would have you hitting everything twice a week. Or you could do full body 3-4x/wk or PPL/rest/repeat.

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    don't make your own program
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals (strength, mass, both)?

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • Tkb1331
    Tkb1331 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey Allan both! Jemh thanks for your input, I've been looking at the upper/lower 4 day splits, might actually give them a go.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Finding a pre made program might be best. I used to make programs myself but i saw better result following pre made ones.

That being said you seem to cover everything with the exception of lower back, you may want to add some deadlifts if you have the equipment. I agree you are a little light on the legs.

If you want to do your own program i would consider adjusting thursday friday.
    So maybe keep m.t.w. the same then thursday focus on upper body compound lifts friday on lower body compound lifts. (Idk just an idea).

Again tho id suggest a pre made program, bodybuilding.com is a great place to start.
  • Tkb1331
    Tkb1331 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, really appreciate the input
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    tbaker1331, I'd focus on compound movements. Unless you've been training for years, I'm not a big fan of splits and all of the single joint movement.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Another vote for finding an established program that's upper/lower hitting each twice or a 3x full body
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Too much stuff in this routine! I got tired just reading it.

Pick a reputable off the shelf beginners program and follow it - less brain = work more lifting time.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1