Eating Low Cost on a Tight Budget...

Options
ellelit :flowerforyou: was kind enough to share this link with another member who'd ask for low cost food ideas in this economy.

I thought others might benefit from the link as well so thought I'd post it on it's own thread.:wink:

Hope you find something that might help you spread the funds further:flowerforyou:

Here's a great recipe page to check out on that site!
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/recipeindex.htm

Here's the main link to the site:
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/index1.htm

FC:heart:

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    ellelit :flowerforyou: was kind enough to share this link with another member who'd ask for low cost food ideas in this economy.

I thought others might benefit from the link as well so thought I'd post it on it's own thread.:wink:

Hope you find something that might help you spread the funds further:flowerforyou:

Here's a great recipe page to check out on that site!
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/recipeindex.htm

Here's the main link to the site:
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/index1.htm

• Mrs_Ford
    Mrs_Ford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    :heart: I love this website! Thank you for the post!
  • whitneykt
    whitneykt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Here is a tip about the cost of meat . . .

I used to look at the "per pound price" but, I would freak out at how high that was. Now I look at the total price and see how much per serving that is. For example: if I buy a 16 oz steak for say, $7.00 (making up prices here :( ), instead of looking at it as $7.00 per pound, I look at it as - that $7.00 will feed four people (4 oz each) at $1.75 per person. That sounds a lot better doesn't it?

Happy Eating!!
  • Cookn
    Cookn Posts: 21
    Options
    If you are looking for ideas and a way to cut cost on meats, here's a couple of ways I do it.

Pork-One of the most lean parts of pork is a center loin boneless chop, usually found for $4.00 a pound or a boneless pork loin roast at the same price. Sam's, Costco, and BJ's sell whole pork tenderloins for under $2.50 a pound. It takes all of about 5 minutes to butcher one into a couple of 1 1/2 to 2 pound roasts and 10 to 12 center loin chops. All you need is a sharp knife. There are only the two of us but the way I figure it, we spend under $2.00 per meal for pork and we eat excellent quality. I butcher the loin and pack it in meal size packages and vacuum seal them and freeze. One loin will last use about a month and a half.

Chicken breasts-Sometimes you can find boneless on sale for under $3.00 a pound and if I find them at that price I'll purchase a dozen and package and freeze them. Lately the breasts have been really large, around 10 to 12 oz. which is enough for two people. If I can't find them on sale I'll look for bone in breasts, I've found them for as low as $.88 a pound. Again with a sharp knife I can pull the skin off, remove the fat, and debone them. It doesn't take long and the cost savings are worth it. an added plus is that usually bone in breasts aren't treated with a solution, which adds weight and more importantly sodium to the meat.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :heart: I love this website! Thank you for the post!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    cid_95A9323DE803421B81A9835EFF85B56.gif
  • whitneykt
    Options
    Where do you guys get all this cute clip art, animated clip art and the smileys? I want some!! Come on . . . share! :happy:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Where do you guys get all this cute clip art, animated clip art and the smileys? I want some!! Come on . . . share! :happy:
    Just do a Google search on freeware .gifs and you'll find many a sight, just be cautious of spyware..I don't accept any cookies on sights I hit. I'm very cautious in regards to that, it can really get your computer sluggish.

But .......there are lots of great places to find them. One thing you can do is simply find one you like someone else has shared and click on quote and you'll see the code. Personally I use PhotoBucket to store mine.

If you do a search for 'photo help' you'll see how it's all done, lots of folks use that thread to practice on ..gives you the freedom to goof around a bit with it and learn how to use the codes correctly.

You'll see what I mean when you pull up the thread:bigsmile:

• whitneykt
    Options
    Just do a Google search on freeware .gifs and you'll find many a sight, just be cautious of spyware..I don't accept any cookies on sights I hit. I'm very cautious in regards to that, it can really get your computer sluggish.

But .......there are lots of great places to find them. One thing you can do is simply find one you like someone else has shared and click on quote and you'll see the code. Personally I use PhotoBucket to store mine.

If you do a search for 'photo help' you'll see how it's all done, lots of folks use that thread to practice on ..gives you the freedom to goof around a bit with it and learn how to use the codes correctly.

You'll see what I mean when you pull up the thread:bigsmile:

Thanks!!