I was doing good

Options
I'm so discouraged. February 15th of 2015 I hit my all time high of 260. It was the day after Valentines and I felt horrible and ugly and felt sorry that my Valentine was married to someone who had little self control. I made up in my mind I was going to join fitness pal and just be done with it once and for all. So I did and by August I was down 42 pounds and was motivated and doing awesome. Was starting to feel like I was finally in control. Then one Monday we had a huge lightning storm that caused seven fires that got out of control and by that Friday it it had really blown up. Needless to say my family and I lost our home and everything in it that night. With it I also lost motivation to stick with my diet. I'm an emotional eater and that sent me in a tailspin. So here I sit one year later and I've gained 20 of the 42 I lost

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Oh no! How tragic. I'm so very sorry. I can't imagine going through that. At least you were all okay.

I'd suggest finding ways to deal with the grief, trauma, and loss that don't involve food and then make a separate, non-emotional plan to start eating less and moving more. Separating the two issues will be important to your long-term success. Are there support groups in your area for assistance?

Don't put all kinds of pressure on yourself or feel defeated. This is one of many bumps in the road. You can keep on moving forward. I wish you the best!
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your house. {{hugs}}

Knowing you are an emotional eater is one step in the right direction. You identified part of the problem. Since you know this you can address it. Part of it is you need to find a substitute. I always wished I could be one of those people who clean obsessively when they are upset; my house would be spotless.

So now when you are stressed & you find yourself reaching for food, put it down, then go do something else -- take a walk; call a friend; clean something. Use motion to get the "bad vibes" out.

Try yoga. I scoffed when I went to this de-stress workshop but then in the midst of a horrid situation, I tried the breathing things I learned because at that point I was totally desperate & exactly what the instructor said would happen did -- my mantra found me. I am now a convert. The breathing & the mindfulness are so much better for me then stuffing my face. I'm still not one of those super bendy people that can sit peacefully while the world crumbles around me but it's a nice tool to have (the breathing) when things get bad.
  • Shann2016
    Shann2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honey not all is lost. You are a good person and a long with that comes all the emotions and feelings you are having. No feeling is ever your reality. This is evident in how you felt that Valentine's Day and how you felt with your progress, your feeling's changed. You mentioned your family think of all the good you have done them through all your challenges in the last year. They needed you and you were there, so you gained a little weight back but your strong and you pulled through this tragedy, getting back on track to take care of yourself will be nothing compared to what you have been through in the last year. I can lose 10lbs in 2 months and gain it back in 5 days with no hardships in my life, now that's darn right depressing. I know this is easier said than done but the following helps me.

I am always thankful, when I thankful I find it hard to be down.
    I ask myself is what I'm doing helping me reach my goals? (I've spit cookies out of my mouth before after this thought has popped in my head)
    When I go to the ladies room or I'm alone I randomly do 10 squats and/or lunges. Why? Because I absolutely hate them and 10 is manageable and....I can end up doing 50-100 throughout the day on good days!

I love this quote and know you have already had to do this with a new beginning! Let this also be a new beginning for you too!!

Start where you are
    Use what you have
    Do what you can
    Authur Ashe