Lifting for couples?

Is there any weight lifting routines oh that me and my fiance can do together I was thinking like a stronglift 5x5 but I don't know if that's good for women

Replies

• Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 176 Member
    My wife and I life heavy five days a week together. We lift powerlifting style in my off season (strength based 6x2, 4x4, 5x5 etc). We're currently working on a 300lb deadlift .. Can't see why it wouldn't be good for women...

She's 5'7" and 209lbs and I'm 5'8" and 142lbs... Neither of us are overly bulky & as a competitive bodybuilder, it's taken five years to build the muscle I do have.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    I am doing SL5x5. I wish I could get my guy to join me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    ironkid55 wrote: »
    Is there any weight lifting routines oh that me and my fiance can do together I was thinking like a stronglift 5x5 but I don't know if that's good for women

Women can follow the same lifting plan as men so it's fine. At a certain point her progression may be slower than yours, though that also depends on size and diet. Getting a set of fractional plates is a good idea.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    My wife and I lift together but we don't always follow the same program or, even if we use the same program, are not always on the same stage. The point is to spot and motivate each other, not mirror each other. To provide an example, my wife isn't so much into hypertrophy or training for maximum strength, she simply wants to look great (and she does!). On the other hand, I want to grow. As a result, our approaches are a bit different, but she's the best lifting partner I've had.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    My boyfriend and I do stronglifts together. We just adjust the weights accordingly. I just look at it as another activity we enjoy doing together :p
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    My husband and I have started doing stronglifts 5x5 together. We just alternate sets and adjust the weight for each other. In a few weeks, my husband intends to start a different program (I don't know what) but he said the first lifts are the same as SL, so we will still do it together. He will just keep lifting each session after I finish.
  • ironkid55
    ironkid55 Posts: 23 Member
    Thank you guys you are a lot of help
  • MamaMenorca
    MamaMenorca Posts: 22 Member
    I also workout with my husband. We do the same exercises and adjust the weights when needed. I find it a great challenge for myself. I know he will lift heavier than me on a lot of things, but I'm competitive so I push myself harder than I would if I was alone. I am also 16 weeks pregnant and am just now starting to lighten my weights, but still do all the same moves (free weights, I hate the machines).
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Kait_Dee wrote: »
    She's 5'7" and 209lbs and I'm 5'8" and 142lbs... Neither of us are overly bulky & as a competitive bodybuilder, it's taken five years to build the muscle I do have.

A 5'7" and 209lbs female but not overly bulky? And you are 142lbs and a competitive bodybuilder? Can you provide pictures....
  • aettinger448
    aettinger448 Posts: 44 Member
    My husband and I are lifting together. Right now, my SL5*5 weights are close to his 60% max, so he does more reps per set, usually 10-15, to bulk up. It's strengthening our bodies AND our marriage. Lol. But really, we have a 5 year old and busy jobs, so that's our daily time to spend with each other. Lifting is so much more fun when you're flirting with your best friend.
  • MamaMenorca
    MamaMenorca Posts: 22 Member
    Lifting is so much more fun when you're flirting with your best friend.

It is also great when you are mad at him! haha. I am the more experienced lifter and play trainer most of the time... he gets worked especially hard when there is tension :smiley: But I sure feel better after!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    ironkid55 wrote: »

My husband and I have been doing SL 5x5 for a little over a year. We both love it. I highly recommend it. It has an app and everything!
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    I work out more with my husband than on my own. We do the same lifts and alternate each set. He will just throw on more weight when it's his turn
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I do Stronglifts 5x5. I do find that I have to up my weights slower than the program recommends, though.
  • rsnodgrass1128
    rsnodgrass1128 Posts: 16 Member
    My husband and I did beachbody's hammer and chisel back in february and really enjoyed it (if you don't mind working out at home). Looking back, it was a great time in our marriage because we focused on the same goal and helped each other out. Used dumbbells and a pull up bar. I was worried I wouldn't be strong enough to do any of it but I really noticed a difference!