Excessive gas due to protein shakes?

I am trying to use isopure whey protein shakes to help in building muscle. I injest 29g twice a day. I am a male over 60 and that is the amount I have seen recommended. The problem is that I develop a lot of flatulence. Is there any way to counteract this effect?

Replies

• Hi friend, you should try to use a better protein then, it happens. Or just dont mix it with milk, use water instead. I had the same problem as you, but I fix it
  • I get stomach discomfort from consuming additional protien to meet my macro. I find that by eating something fiberous with it, like a salad or an apple, that doesn't happen.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    You may be sensitive to the whey. You can try other sources such as pea or hemp protein.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    First of all, what is the amount of protein you're currently eating each day? A supplement might not even be necessary for you.

If you DO need a supplement to reach your goals.... I'm sorry to say man... you might have an intolerance to whey. The specific brand you're using is lactose free, so it isn't an issue with that atleast.

You might want to try another type of protein powder. There's a ton of different options:
    Egg protein
    Soy protein
    pea protein
    hemp protein
    beef protein
    etc.

^ This is in order of most "okay" to "disgusting!". My suggestion if you need to try some go to a place you can get some small sample sizes before you invest in a giant tub. :wink:
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    I have tried vegetable protein also and it produced the same flatulence. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. J
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited September 2016
    Try breaking your protein drink down to 25g protein per drink. You may be ingesting too much at one time, especially if you drink it fast.
    I tend to drink it slowly with fruit and it helps with the bloating effect.
    (Female over 60 lifter)

I'm not sure how much you have read on sarcopinia so I will just throw this out there-

A minimum of 25g protein is recommended at each meal (max 35) for better synthesis.

A slightly higher daily intake of protein is needed for muscle retention than those who are younger- I go for 1-1.2g LBM ( as opposed to the .8 regular rda)

Creatine may be benificial for the older lifter.

Cheers, h.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2016
    You get used to it. I put in close to 250g per day just from shakes. Yes, I often smell like a walking sewer. No, I don't care. Yes, my lifts and musculature have continued to improve.

ETA: if it doesn't make your *kitten* smell horrible, it's probably a crap quality protein. Isopure is one of the best tested out there, as is the brand that I use.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    The best "solution" for gas is to take digestive enzymes with each high protein shake/meal. These are papaya (papain) and pineapple (bromelain).

I am on a very high protein diet (about 200gms a day) and these enzymes all but eliminate any gas, which is a by product of undigested protein. So, not only do they stop the gas, they also aid in the better digestion and reduce waste of the protein consumed.

If you are also experiencing runs in connection w/a high protein diet, I recommend also taking( as I do) a fiber supplrment (psyllium) with any protein shakes or drinks.
  • Gallowmere1984
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The best "solution" for gas is to take digestive enzymes with each high protein shake/meal. These are papaya (papain) and pineapple (bromelain).

I am on a very high protein diet (about 200gms a day) and these enzymes all but eliminate any gas, which is a by product of undigested protein. So, not only do they stop the gas, they also aid in the better digestion and reduce waste of the protein consumed.

If you are also experiencing runs in connection w/a high protein diet, I recommend also taking( as I do) a fiber supplrment (psyllium) with any protein shakes or drinks.

Second this last part. Psyllium is pretty awesome. I don't have any experience bothering with probiotics though.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    I thought gas was just a normal thing for all men. Unless it is really troubling or painful, go with it.
  • SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    I recently switched to Vega protein powder....instant relief :D
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2016
    Why not get your protien from a different source such as food?
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    I posted the same thing about 3 months ago, I was so bloated I looked 6 months pregnant and that is not an exaggeration. I switched to soya protein with lactose free milk, my nephew suggested making the protein supplement into a meal to aid digestion so I add banana, berries, pineapple, peanut butter, porridge oats and seeds. Voila, my six pack is back and I smell lovely.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    I've found that eating yogurt seems to help my situation and almost eliminated the gas.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Maybe reduce to one shake and eat the rest of the protein through food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Some good advice here. I agree with the probiotic. I can't tolerate soy. It causes gas and headache. Creatine also causes gi issues for me.

Good luck!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    You get used to it. I put in close to 250g per day just from shakes. Yes, I often smell like a walking sewer. No, I don't care. Yes, my lifts and musculature have continued to improve.

ETA: if it doesn't make your *kitten* smell horrible, it's probably a crap quality protein. Isopure is one of the best tested out there, as is the brand that I use.

Of course your lifts improve, you're way up and beyond what your body can use for muscle building, and that's just shakes.
    I have to say though, I thought you're keto? That much protein and keto don't mix well.
  • Gallowmere1984

Of course your lifts improve, you're way up and beyond what your body can use for muscle building, and that's just shakes.
    I have to say though, I thought you're keto? That much protein and keto don't mix well.

They mix fine. The longer I run with what I am doing (a high protein CKD), the more I realize that gluconeo is barely even a factor. Not exactly sure why it's functioning the way it is, but there are only two things thay cause me to dip out of nutritional ketosis at this point. A: my intentional carb refeeds on Fridays, and B: if I take a day off from lifting with my protein intake being this high.

My best guess is that since gluconeogenesis occurs at a set rate, so long as I am training hard enough and often enough to keep any stores it creates burned off, then there's no real issue. Other than that, I honestly have no clue why it's working this way, when everything I've read here says it should't.