Sodium!!

Options
So I've been doing super good so far with this app. I'm always under my calories and I'm super satisfied with what I'm putting in my body. BUT I'm always very close on my sodium goal that MFP set for me. I feel like I need to cut back on the sodium? Or maybe the goal is set low? Does anyone know how much sodium should be had in a day? Thanks !

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the RDA for sodium. That said, sodium isn't the super devil that everyone makes it out to be...it's actually an essential electrolyte...too little sodium can be just as bad as too much. The more active you are and the more you sweat the more sodium you will need as well, so it's all relative. If you don't have any health conditions like hypertension to worry about, I'd not worry about it too much unless you're just eating processed food and eating out all of the time and completely blowing up the sodium. Also, most issues that arise from sodium are actually a combination of too much sodium and not enough potassium...you need the potassium to balance things out.
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options
    Thanks :smile: it's not from processed or eating out. And I do exercise 6-7 days a week. So I guess i won't worry about it so much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I go over my sodium regularly, sometimes by more than 1000mg :( The biggest culprits for me are cottage cheese, bacon and gravy.
    The only negative effect i notice is an increase on the scale due to water retention.
  • nicoledunkesongary
    Options
    Me too! I am typically under my alloted 1650 calories, under on carbs by half, but always over on sodium and oftentimes on fat. I work towards a high protein diet and am finding it hard to keep the sodium down.