Walking for weightloss

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I hit 100 lbs lost after 17 months of logging. My only exercise is walking and the VERY sporadic resistance workout. The key is accurate food logging.

Yep, you could walk to the moon and back everyday and still gain weight, "Calories in" are the key to weight loss. Sure, exercise helps in creating a deficit, but it is very easy to eat those calories you burned straight back.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    My only exercise is walking, I've lost nearly 70lbs by tracking my intake and walking. Calorie counting is the most important part of the equation, though.

How long did it take you to lose the weight? I have at least 100 to lose. I know it may take a couple years amd I'm okay with that.

I am in a similar situation. I started at 387 with bad knees and a bad back about 18 months ago and couldn't even imagine walking long distances. I needed to push the cart at any store and had to lean on it.

Starting with portion control helped get me to the 350's and that was enough to start walking. We have a nice little boardwalk through a nature area across from work that is just long enough to walk at a good pace across and back in my 15 minute lunch for a 1 mile walk and I started doing that when work would allow it (as in I actually had time).

Then I started walking the dogs (they get so excited when the harnesses come out) for a little over a mile in the neighborhood and then started doing the big neighborhood loop myself which is 2.5 miles. One day after going nuts on calories before 11am I started walking to burn some of it off and 2 hours and 6.2 miles later I was back at home and told myself if I could do that (yes, it hurt for a few days) I could do daily walks longer and started routinely doing 3.2 to 4.2 depending on the route I traveled or from where the wife left me to walk home. :)

The latter really started to kick it in gear. Set at sedentary on MFP and 2 pounds per week I was just under 2200 calories. Between the exercise, eating more responsibly and following a low carb/high protein diet (80/160) due to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome I got down to 295 after about 16 months total even after eating most of my calories back.

True, I have backslid the last few months but now that I am back to starting to eat right again and starting the neighborhood walk it will fall back off.

Your results may vary based on you but eating at a deficit and walking at a good pace for the distances you are is surely a positive direction that should produce a positive outcome. :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds with walking as my main exercise. I also do some yoga, but I was only walking when I first started. The most important thing for weight loss is to eat at a deficit.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ultimately it's calories in calories out but walking is a great way to boost your calories out. It's my primary method and works great for me.

Totally possible to lose weight by watching calories and walking regularly. Probable even.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Another good thing about walking is you can do it anywhere anytime. No need for expensive gym memberships, and if you have time, which thankfully i do, you can walk for hours everyday, 7 days a week.

And an added bonus is, you can read the mfp forums while you're exercising :+1: I save the big long debate threads for when I'm walking. Yes, I've broken a couple of toes by walking into *kitten* lol But I've got power walking and reading my phone down to a fine art now :smiley:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Another good thing about walking is you can do it anywhere anytime. No need for expensive gym memberships, and if you have time, which thankfully i do, you can walk for hours everyday, 7 days a week.

And an added bonus is, you can read the mfp forums while you're exercising :+1: I save the big long debate threads for when I'm walking. Yes, I've broken a couple of toes by walking into *kitten* lol But I've got power walking and reading my phone down to a fine art now :smiley:

Hah I do the same thing. Does mean I spend a lot of time editing out autocorrect errors from my posts.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Hah I do the same thing. Does mean I spend a lot of time editing out autocorrect errors from my posts.

Same, same. I still haven't got the hang of typing (coherently) and walking..
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm getting this operated on this Wednesday. I'm praying it's not going to involve much down time :weary:

bf7vpuq4mdvd.png
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I first got my Fitbit HR, I set the auto recognize activity feature to 10 minutes. I've been surprised by how many calories I burn just walking to meetings around my campus, and since I live in the city how much it helps to walk everywhere for groceries, going to the movies etc. it really can add up to a significant amount of calories burned!
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm getting this operated on this Wednesday. I'm praying it's not going to involve much down time :weary:

bf7vpuq4mdvd.png

Geez. Well...at least that happened in the future. Perhaps you can still avoid it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

bf7vpuq4mdvd.png

Geez. Well...at least that happened in the future. Perhaps you can still avoid it.

Or did it just happen this morning and you are like in GMT?

Haha it's still Friday on your side of the world, It's 10:30am Saturday morning here in Australia. I did my toe 18mths ago and never went to the doctor, so it didn't heal up properly, and as times goes on it's pointing further and further to the right!!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I've been walking over an hour a day for years taking my dogs out so my body is used to it so i joined the gym & have added other exercises