Herbalife

Options
Hey, has anyone here ever looked into trying Herbalife? Reviews, opinions, objections hehe let me know!
Thank you :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Overpriced program that doesn't work unless there's calorie deficit involved. And one doesn't have to pay to learn how to learn a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Calamitycazza
    Calamitycazza Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Herbalife are being sued as their products aren't what they say they are. I've also known of a few people who used the products and we're put in hospital due to them. I tried juice plus, which is all natural ingredients and I'd recommend if that's the sort of thing you want but over everything, I'd say follow myfitnesspal and eat healthy and stick to your calories as that's the only way you can learn about portion size etc
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    Eyeroll.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'd be really surprised if someone told you they were anything other than useless products. Unless, you know, it's someone selling these useless products.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Also: Products are not regulated by the FDA so who knows what you're actually ingesting.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's MLM crap, it's overpriced, and it's bad for you. Skip it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Being sued by the FTC for their claims.

Has also been linked to liver disease.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

There have been follow-up studies to the "linked to liver disease" studies that call into question validity of those findings, and one study that did link to liver damage stated that the danger to the public health of liver damage from Herbalife is less than that of NSAIDS like aspirin and ibuprofen. People should always consider the possible side effects of any medicine or supplement they ingest, but there's no need to overstate the risk.

OP, my opinion is that I haven't tried the products, and I have no desire to try them. I find the cost prohibitive, I'm not a fan of direct sales in general, and I'm happy with what I've been able to achieve without using products like these. I don't think the products are necessary and if there were certain aspects of the products you find appealing (energy, protein, etc), you could probably find a comparable or better product on the market for a cheaper price.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

There have been follow-up studies to the "linked to liver disease" studies that call into question validity of those findings, and one study that did link to liver damage stated that the danger to the public health of liver damage from Herbalife is less than that of NSAIDS like aspirin and ibuprofen. People should always consider the possible side effects of any medicine or supplement they ingest, but there's no need to overstate the risk.

OP, my opinion is that I haven't tried the products, and I have no desire to try them. I find the cost prohibitive, I'm not a fan of direct sales in general, and I'm happy with what I've been able to achieve without using products like these. I don't think the products are necessary and if there were certain aspects of the products you find appealing (energy, protein, etc), you could probably find a comparable or better product on the market for a cheaper price.

Like you, I dislike direct sales. And yes, a cheaper, comparable product is available from a retailer.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It's garbage.

Save your money, eat a calorie deficit.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I doubt you'll find any support on MFP for any quick fix MLM type diet products. We're typically a bunch of calorie deficit, move more, and just stick to it types!
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Save the cash, buy a new car :)

I actually have tried this. I did feel good on it. I wasn't on it long enough to loose weight or anything like that. Maybe a month at most? Had a free trial from a friend. I did have some more energy. If you like to eat, I mean physically enjoy chewing food and tasting it, it isn't for you. You just down liquids and then when you can't afford it any more you are back to square one. It taught me nothing.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I'm #17. Who wants to take bets on the number of posts before someone with <10 posts jumps in here to tell us how amazing Herbalife is, how it cured their gout, or it's so full of superfoods and so much better than protein powder, and how you have to "do what works for you," and how we're all so negative for pooh-poohing their business model, and on and on and on...

LOL. Funny you should say that, I've been waiting for it to happen as well. :D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Awolturtle wrote: »
    loobe1066 wrote: »
    I know people who tried it, when they went back to eating put weight back on as they had not learnt to eat sensibly. I

Everyone I know that has tried it, ended up putting the weight back on due to not learning anything from the program. Plus its a lot of money.

Everyone I know that has tried it (or any other MLM scam such as Shakeology, ItWorks, Advocare, etc.) has become a horribly annoying pest, spamming it all over every social media outlet they can think of and making me block all communications with them.

Plus, as Ninerbuff said, it's an overpriced program (with overhyped, poor quality products) that doesn't work unless there's a calorie deficit involved.

This.

Herbalife is 100% unnecessary to weight loss, and it's a scam.