Lifting but no diet change

Options
healthy491
healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am asking this question out of curiousity. So a lot of you agree that in order to build muscle you must eat at maintenance calories or over maintenance and eat a lot of protein and clean foods.
But what would happen if I started to lift or do resistance workouts plus do cardio but dont change my diet ? ( meaning I eat at maintenance but dont care about proteins etc )

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If you have a calorie deficit (meaning you're burning more so you're in deficit now), you lose weight. You aren't going to build muscle.
    And muscle can't be built with any other macro but protein. So if it's insufficient, you won't build muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • healthy491
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you have a calorie deficit (meaning you're burning more so you're in deficit now), you lose weight. You aren't going to build muscle.
    And muscle can't be built with any other macro but protein. So if it's insufficient, you won't build muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks for the answer :) however , I've been eating at maintenance and doing some sit ups / crunches and my stomach seems flatter and stronger oO
    Is it possible??
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You can get stronger without building muscle. Flatter can be a function of stronger ab muscles or a loss of some body fat.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse strength gains or more definition with adding mass. A muscle can become firmer and stronger without growing. Like cardio, the muscle becomes more efficient.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Flater would be indicative of either fat loss, residual tension, or both, and stronger is most likely due to neural adaptation allowing you to contract more forcefully and efficiently. As for "clean foods", you can debate the definition for hours but if you just want to gain muscle you basically just need a caloric surplus and sufficient protein.
  • healthy491
    Options
    Thankks everyone for your replies :) What I dont understand is the difference between strength gain and more definition. I really would like to know about it
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited September 2016
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Thankks everyone for your replies :) What I dont understand is the difference between strength gain and more definition. I really would like to know about it

Strength is simply an expression of ability to move against resistance while definition is based on how well you can see the muscles. You gain strength by working against progressively greater resistance while you gain definition by dropping fat. These two goals are often at odds since to lose fat you need to eat at a deficit and that can result in strength loss. To gain strength you generally have to eat at a surplus which will reduce definition. To do both you generally do one then the other in a bulk/cut cycle.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you're a complete novice, you can add muscle and lose fat at roughly the same time. Even in a deficit. What you won't see are size increases. You're not going to end up with bigger legs or arms in a deficit. But you can definitely recomposition.

Given your comment about doing sit-ups and getting a flatter stomach, I'm going to venture that you are a novice.

However, strength gains and muscle gains will stall in a deficit, and it's inefficient.

People should definitely strength train in a deficit and stop worrying so much about adding muscle.
  • jenfran89
    jenfran89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started with this idea, and ended up putting on weight. I saw no difference in strength or body composition
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Then you would be doing recomp IF you are already at goal weight. if you are not at goal weight, doing this, you're not going to lose fat.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Is there anywhere you can go to get a body composition analysis done? Then you can see how much lean muscle mass you have and body fat %. It's neat to track the progression. It also should give you an idea of how many calories to maintain and your BMR to know how many calories you are burning at rest. The last time I did the InBody analysis it was really neat to see my weight had stayed exactly the same, but muscle mass went up and body fat % went down. It also showed I was burning more calories at rest at a lower weight than I was a year ago, because my muscle mass went up a lot.

If you clean up diet along with lifting, you'll start seeing body fat % go down. You will get stronger, but you'll also start "tightening" up and getting that toned, lean look you might be after.

I actually started eating a lot MORE when I was doing regular cardio and strength training, but was building a lot more muscle, and still lost weight. (Eating a lot more, but clean - lean proteins, good carbs, portioned healthy fats, no alcohol, etc.)
  • healthy491
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    Is there anywhere you can go to get a body composition analysis done? Then you can see how much lean muscle mass you have and body fat %. It's neat to track the progression. It also should give you an idea of how many calories to maintain and your BMR to know how many calories you are burning at rest. The last time I did the InBody analysis it was really neat to see my weight had stayed exactly the same, but muscle mass went up and body fat % went down. It also showed I was burning more calories at rest at a lower weight than I was a year ago, because my muscle mass went up a lot.

If you clean up diet along with lifting, you'll start seeing body fat % go down. You will get stronger, but you'll also start "tightening" up and getting that toned, lean look you might be after.

I actually started eating a lot MORE when I was doing regular cardio and strength training, but was building a lot more muscle, and still lost weight. (Eating a lot more, but clean - lean proteins, good carbs, portioned healthy fats, no alcohol, etc.)

I have one of those body composition monitors at home not sure about accuracy tho
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    divcara wrote: »

I have one of those body composition monitors at home not sure about accuracy tho

It depends how close you are to their reference model that the algorithm uses. For me, it's not even in the same city let alone the ballpark. The best measurements are Bod Pod, DEXA scan, or water tank (hydrostatic). You can also use calipers but they aren't as accurate.

However, the body composition monitor you have will at least give you relative changes in your bf%.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat maintenance calories and lift heavy, a combination of power/strength training and hypertrophy training. I eat at least 140g of protein per day. I see changes, but minimal and slow. I would see no changes from sit ups.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am asking this question out of curiousity. So a lot of you agree that in order to build muscle you must eat at maintenance calories or over maintenance and eat a lot of protein and clean foods.
    But what would happen if I started to lift or do resistance workouts plus do cardio but dont change my diet ? ( meaning I eat at maintenance but dont care about proteins etc )

How much protein are you eating now? It's possible you're already eating enough. When I lifted, I aimed for 40/30/30 but often only made 50/25/25 which was fine. But I was not one to only eat 1200 cals! :smile:

And you can get stronger/fitter regardless (within reason).