GREEK YOGURT

Options
I just want to send a big shout out to all Greek people to say THANK YOU for sharing your Greek yogurt with the world! I use Tzatziki for so many things from salad dressings to dips and I can't imagine what I would do without my Plain Fage Total 0% for breakfast. These products taste good and are so healthy for you too. My advice to those who say they don't like yogurt is just try it and see. Greek yogurt has been one of my favorite go to foods on my weight loss journey. I'm always going to have it in my fridge. I'm not Greek but am of Mediterranean descent (Italian) and my culture always included eating like Mediterranean people do except the portions were too big! Hence the weight problem. It's the best way to eat and live healthy.

Replies

• kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    I just want to send a big shout out to all Greek people to say THANK YOU for sharing your Greek yogurt with the world! I use Tzatziki for so many things from salad dressings to dips and I can't imagine what I would do without my Plain Fage Total 0% for breakfast. These products taste good and are so healthy for you too. My advice to those who say they don't like yogurt is just try it and see. Greek yogurt has been one of my favorite go to foods on my weight loss journey. I'm always going to have it in my fridge. I'm not Greek but am of Mediterranean descent (Italian) and my culture always included eating like Mediterranean people do except the portions were too big! Hence the weight problem. It's the best way to eat and live healthy.

Agreed - I also have a very healthy love affair with Greek yogurt!!
  • DJParrish01
    DJParrish01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just wish it wasn't so expensive!!!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    IKR! My personal favorite is Oikos PLAIN )% fat (wish they all would skip adding sugar to the fruit and vanilla flavors), but I like the 0% varieties of Chobani, Fage, Dannon, and even Cabot. I add organic blueberries, strawberries, or pineapple and occl a tsp of vanilla and Stevia. I LOVE to mix it with Hidden Valley Ranch dry dip mix for a great veggie dip and in place of sour cream. I also add it to fresh fruit and ice for a quick nutritious breakfast on the go ( I add Jillian Michael's protein powder if I'm out of greek yogurt). I agree, THANKS Greece!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is the only yogurt I can stand to eat. :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    It's so yummy...like custard. Yum! I love Chobani.
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    IKR! My personal favorite is Oikos PLAIN )% fat (wish they all would skip adding sugar to the fruit and vanilla flavors), but I like the 0% varieties of Chobani, Fage, Dannon, and even Cabot. I add organic blueberries, strawberries, or pineapple and occl a tsp of vanilla and Stevia. I LOVE to mix it with Hidden Valley Ranch dry dip mix for a great veggie dip and in place of sour cream. I also add it to fresh fruit and ice for a quick nutritious breakfast on the go ( I add Jillian Michael's protein powder if I'm out of greek yogurt). I agree, THANKS Greece!

For a smoothie for breakfast, that is... LOVE my Hamilton Beach blend n go mini-smoothie maker; drop in ingredients, pulse to desired consistency, unlock container, and go! So easy!
  • Rachel925
    Rachel925 Posts: 15
    Options
    Make your own yougurt!!! I do :) It's easy. Greek yougurt is simply regular yougurt with added dry milk to make it thicker.

I use a heating pad as an incubator. Just google ''how to make yougurt''

It's really cost effective too. I use organic milk and a gallon is the same price as a small container of greek yougurt. Plus, mine is local, and made in glass jars instead of plastic.,

You can do it!!!!
  • mendogirl
    mendogirl Posts: 87
    Options
    i used to not really like greek yogurt that much. it was a little too sour for my taste. but then... one fateful day I decided to try chobani raspberry yogurt (i love raspberries).. best choice ever! LOVE IT!

does anyone use greek yogurt for cooking??
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It's so yummy...like custard. Yum! I love Chobani.

I love greek yogurt as well. It's high in protein, filling, and best of all, no gelatin!

Amy -- quoted you because I looked at your pictures. You look awesome! Seriously, in your before and after you look ten years younger!
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Chobani!!!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Make your own yougurt!!! I do :) It's easy. Greek yougurt is simply regular yougurt with added dry milk to make it thicker.
    I'm glad you have the motivation for this. If i tried this, It would sit there incubating for a week then I'd have to throw it out because it would be spoiled, then go to the store to buy some like I should have done in the first place.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I must have picked the worst Greek yogurt to try. Not sure what brand it was but I threw it out after two bites. It was so grainy and reminded me of Milk of Magnegsia! I have heard the Chobani is good. Not a big fan of fruity flavors though so I stick with plain or vanilla.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options

You can make your own by draining cheaper plain fat free yogurt through a paper towel or cheesecloth. It reduces more than 1/2. I use the large containers of plain.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Me too. I eat it everyday for breakfast with berries and high fiber cereal mixed in.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options

Everything that is good for you...and yummy cost more : )
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    At first I did not like the Greek yogurt, but so many people praised it's protein count and the taste, that I tried it again orver the holiday weekend. I tried the Chobani Pineapple [2% fat, and 160 calories] and it was fantastic. For me thought, the calories are too high. [I don't have a problem with going over on fats, but calories are usually real close and sugars I have to be careful with.] So what I've decided to do is to buy the flavors I like, and eat 1/2 a serving instead.. or 1/3 with 1/3 of a banana or some added berries. The protein is worth it! Plus.. the sugar is natural..not a chemical and the protein keeps me FULL! I have started a new job where I am on the road A LOT! So I'm packing the whole serving.. in two separate containers. If I can't eat my lunch [salad with lean protein] I can opt for both servings of fruit n yogurt until I can eat more.

I tried Fage [sp?] this week and was not as impressed. I tried it bc the calories are up to 40 calories less than for Chobani. The topping is really sweet..and I found it wasn't enough to flavor the entire 6 oz serving of yogurt. However, the calories ARE less, it is rich and creamy, and it's probably more of a personal preference than anything else. I am going to try a couple of the others mentioned here, especially the Cabot, which tends to be more of a natural brand.

AMY**** you look amazing! You are a mere portion of your original self [physically]. What an inspiration. I agree with the other poster.. you look years younger! Way to goooo!

:flowerforyou:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I loooove Fage, especially the peach 2%.
  • BeeElleTea
    BeeElleTea Posts: 24
    Options
    I had my first taste of greek yogurt this morning around 4:00 with a half of a banana. (Obviously I needed the tryptophan to get back to sleep lol) but I am in LOVE with it now. I'm also glad I was fore-warned about the thickness because that would ordinarily turn my taste buds off, but I bought a cheap store brand just so I can try it out and if I didn't like it wouldn't be that big of a loss to my wallet! I'm looking forward to investing in some of the better brands!
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Very intersrting. I might just give it a try. Thanks for th info.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I LOVE greek yogurt. Now that I have tried it I can't imagine not having it in the house as often as I can. I don't always buy it since it is expensive so sometimes I have to eat my old fave yogurt.....but when I do buy it wow.....it's like a dessert for me!

I buy plain 0% fat Presidents choice brand and then I can add a bit of smuckers sugar free jam to sweeten it up or a bit of vanilla stevia. I want to try this someday instead of sourcream on tacos or whatever or as a dip of some sort for veggies.

Sometimes I buy honey flavor which is nice and light.....still fat free but calories are about 40 higher.