Scale anxiety. New plan. 1 Year goal.

Options
I am 15 days into this program. I've tried it before two times... First in 2013 and 2014 and failed. Now 10 pounds heavier than then. Whenever I start a diet... and go off... I gain more weight than when I started.
SO, the basics of this program is charting everything. Thats fine. I can do that. But my trouble starts when I start losing, watching on the scale as I drop in weight. So the program works. I don't. I get scale watching happy. Once a week, then twice a week then every day... and hourly after I eat.
When I gain a few pounds, which is just body weight flexing... I panic. Then I either binge.. give up for a day or two.with depression, weigh again start over. binge feel failure.. start again give up.
With my unhealthy weight of 265. I am a food addict, and monitoring my food take is a really great thing to do. So if I live daily with just monitoring my food intake, the program has calculated for me. I have to trust I WILL lose weight.
A year count down, like for Christmas, your birthday, anniversary.... planning a wedding. Just a year. It doesn't seem like it was 2013, was when I started this program, it seems like only a year ago.
What I will gain is to Learn my eating habits. Portions, Planning my day if I want to splurge. finding meal plans that work for me. The year will be endless for ideas.

Replies

• mommaoftwo6416
    mommaoftwo6416 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Could I add you? I'm just starting and I am just like you. I was like I didn't write this lol...
  • lisabridwell
    lisabridwell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hope you'll stick with it this time Judy. Add friends on MFP and you'll get lots of encouragement. It really is helpful to share ideas, encourage others, and find motivation. I don't have any advice about the obsession w/the scale, but I definitely have felt addicted to food, and junk food of any kind. If I can do this, so can you!!! A year from now, you'll be glad you started today!! Good luck to you.
  • HeyJude007
    HeyJude007 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to add friends, but, I have a strong feeling this will work. My family is behind me. All I have asked them is to remind me to chart. I know I will have off days. But everyone does. I will just have to own those days by writing them down. I am excited to see how this year goes. The scale ~ It's silly but... It's like a big red You fail sign.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hide your scales other than once a week/month?

Alternatively, use a trend weight app and weigh yourself daily - learn when your body fluctuates and then the scale going up won't freak you out so much.
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    At the moment no, This is my focus. Not about weight, learning healthy habits for life long living.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm someone that understands this. I tend to have an obsessive personality and scales are a no go for me. I don't own one any more. Just a food scale! There is something about seeing that number. Now what I do is gauge how I'm doing by clothing fit, how I feel and how my food diary looks. If I want to weigh, I stop by my Dr.'s office to do it. I just did that yesterday :). This makes weighing very inconvenient and since it's not right in my face I don't have the chance to obsess over it.

Maybe something like this would help you?
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    I am not worried on the weighing aspect. It's sticking to the program. The scale is one to many things. Like you said you can gauge by the way your clothes feel. Before I started this I wasn't focused on the scale, mirror, I just am plain unhappy with my eating habits. It will kill me if I don't take control. Today was an off day, I'm not happy with my choices, but writing my choices down help focusing on the up coming day. And research alternative options for a day like today.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I have some suggestions on setting up Non Scale Victories (NSV's). Write a SMART goal for yourself every week or every two weeks. Make sure the goal is fully under your control, such as so many steps a day or recording all foods at least five days out of seven.

When you succeed, remember to reward yourself, even if it is just to give yourself a pat on the back.

If you fail, analyze the potential cause and modify your goal. This takes the guilt out of it.

Once a SMART goal is fully a habit, consider challenging yourself with a new goal.

At the end of the year you should have an impressive stack of NSV's built up.

I just read a great story of a woman reported skydiving as her NSV. She'd been too heavy to qualify before.
  • HeyJude007
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It already has been rewarding, my zip up pants, are zipping easier, I bought my self a swimsuit earlier this summer, Reminding my self to love me for me just as my family. I went swimming with them every nice day this summer, enjoying the free effortless movement the water gives. Running, jumping with no pain. I learned to tread water, We would do relays, pretending to be in the olympics. New short term goals are, parking farther and farther from the store entrance. Enjoying the walk, the weather and atmosphere instead do dread, and ache. Getting monthly hair trims, for my bangs.
  • ltlriver
    ltlriver Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you chuck the scales - ask a family member to have them at their house and only let you use them when you visit - maybe once a week! The scales are not your master - YOU can do this. : )
  • ltlriver
    ltlriver Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You MIGHT also think about joining one of the challenges such as 9lbs in 9 weeks because that's doable without beating yourself up : )
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    9 lbs wouldn't make me smile... nor 50lbs. Making this a normal will make me smile. Today, I went out and enjoyed the sunshine. Walked out to sit out by the horses and have a hot cup of coffee. But what made me smile was pouring the right amount of cereal in the bowl and then measuring... and it was the correct amount.
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    Day 40 Depression, because I don't know where I stand. I can't see or feel if I lost any weight. But day 40. But Logically I am doing Fantastic. Baby steps, time to close the book on this tonight and Sleep well. This is going to be a Long journey.
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    2 months.... eating is getting easier, and today is Halloween. I have thought of getting weighed tomorrow at the doctors. But, still not sure. I am eating right and staying in the zone.
  • HeyJude007
    Options
    Almost 6 months, Still no idea on lbs, I can feel my ribs! Pull my jeans off with out un buttoning. Still a long. Way to go. 6 months to go. Then monitoring with a scale. Life long mindful eating journey!