Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

5:2 Diet with a TDEE of 1700

Hi all! :smile:

I have just decided to give the 5:2 Diet a go. I've completed two fast days already and it was so much easier than I expected.

I eat 500 calories on my fast days. However, I know a lot of people eat at maintenance on their 5 normal days. But given my TDEE is so low, I feel like I still need to eat at a (small) deficit on my normal days. My combined fast days will only give me an approximate deficit of 2400, not even half a pound a week. So on my normal days I try to eat 1400-1500, which will still leave me at a 200-300 calorie deficit to get me to a weightloss of 1 pound a week.

Does anyone have any experience or tips? Anyone doing the 5:2 Diet with a low TDEE like me?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    A 2400 calorie deficit is over half a pound a week. I'd say going by your TDEE, that's probably a good loss rate for you. What are your stats and how much do you want to lose?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    That's a surprisingly low TDEE?
    Did you use the TDEE calculator on the 5:2 site?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I would not recommend holding a deficit on your non fast days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2016
    how did you calculate your TDEE? do you not exercise?
  • sijomial
    rybo wrote: »

Agree. If you are going to follow the plan then follow it on both the 5 days and the 2 days.
    Not dieting/restricting 5 days a week was what made it a very easy plan to adhere to for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    What you doing is no longer 5:2. I hope you reconsider eliminating the additional deficit you plan to do on non fasting days.
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    A 2400 calorie deficit is over half a pound a week. I'd say going by your TDEE, that's probably a good loss rate for you. What are your stats and how much do you want to lose?

Malibu I am currently 56kg and would like to get down to about 48kg.
  • baybeejulia
    sijomial wrote: »

I know, I'm a tiny girl. I'm only 145cm. Yep, I used that calculator and many many more. I also wear a fitbit so am pretty certain of my TDEE. That's 1700 on days that I walk during my lunch break lol. If I sit at my desk all day it's closer to 1500.
  • baybeejulia
    edited September 2016

I exercise 5 days a week at at least one hour a day. Please keep in mind that I am really small and my BMR is approx. 1100.
  • baybeejulia

Agree. If you are going to follow the plan then follow it on both the 5 days and the 2 days.
    Not dieting/restricting 5 days a week was what made it a very easy plan to adhere to for me.

Thank you both for that
  • baybeejulia
    edited September 2016
    You currently weigh 110 pounds, right? In that case you do not need to be trying to lose 1 pound a week. You need to be eating more to fuel the heavy lifting you are talking about as well. Adjust your expectations for speed, be patient, and if you think 5:2 might work for you, do it as intended and eat to maintenance on non-fasting days.

Also:

Are you factoring your exercise into your TDEE? I saw from other threads that you are quite short, and I don't know your age, so the answer may well be yes, but it's worth asking.

Thanks for doing the research and not jumping on me for my low TDEE! I am not undereating and what would like to be healthy in every sense of the word. I'm just disadvantaged because I am really short. I do factor in my exercise in my TDEE. I wear a fitbit and on the best days I get to 2000, but on average I am sitting on 1700.

I don't do heavy lifting anymore, I found I just couldn't stick with it. I mostly do HIIT and body pump now.

But I see where you're coming from. I'll give 5:2 a go for a month or so and if it doesn't result in weightloss then I may have to reconsider my calorie goals.

Also, I weigh 56kg so I think I am well above 110lbs. Not quite sure exactly. I have quite a bit of body fat to lose.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Definitely at the weight you are and are looking to lose, no way should you be under your tdee on your non fast days...at least not on a regular basis. My friend went from 126 to 113 @ roughly a pound a week on 5:2, with no extra reduction needed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    As you don't have much to lose, I don't think you need to create a larger deficit than you'll have doing 500 cals and 1700 cals.
  • baybeejulia
    As you don't have much to lose, I don't think you need to create a larger deficit than you'll have doing 500 cals and 1700 cals.
    Definitely at the weight you are and are looking to lose, no way should you be under your tdee on your non fast days...at least not on a regular basis. My friend went from 126 to 113 @ roughly a pound a week on 5:2, with no extra reduction needed.

Thanks you two - slow and steady wins the race I suppose. I just can't imagine eating that much, I've spent my whole life trying to eat less lol! I will definitely give it a go and I will be extremely happy if it works, because hey, who doesn't want to lose weight eating what they love!
  • sijomial

I know, I'm a tiny girl. I'm only 145cm. Yep, I used that calculator and many many more. I also wear a fitbit so am pretty certain of my TDEE. That's 1700 on days that I walk during my lunch break lol. If I sit at my desk all day it's closer to 1500.

As you are tiny it is unrealistic to expect to lose weight at the same rate as a larger person. Be patient.
    The upside of being small is that small losses will be far more visible.

The other benefit of learning to eat at your TDEE on the 5 days is that the transition to maintenance is very easy as you are already in the habit of eating the right amount.

A month isn't much of a test, normal weight fluctuation scan easily mask or exaggerate your true results. Think longer term.

BTW - wasn't "jumping on you" for asking for clarification/confirmation. People make all sorts of mistakes on here, a very common one is believing this place is a TDEE calculator.
  • baybeejulia

As you are tiny it is unrealistic to expect to lose weight at the same rate as a larger person. Be patient.
    The upside of being small is that small losses will be far more visible.

The other benefit of learning to eat at your TDEE on the 5 days is that the transition to maintenance is very easy as you are already in the habit of eating the right amount.

A month isn't much of a test, normal weight fluctuation scan easily mask or exaggerate your true results. Think longer term.

BTW - wasn't "jumping on you" for asking for clarification/confirmation. People make all sorts of mistakes on here, a very common one is believing this place is a TDEE calculator.

I know I should be patient and everything takes time. I am just so desperate to be lean and get a body that I am comfortable with - I feel so extremely uncomfortable in my skin at the moment and most of my clothes don't fit! (I'm bigger now than I used to be). I guess naturally I think of losing it faster by creating a bigger deficit.

That's okay, apologies. Trust me when I say I am very sure of my TDEE. Try punching my stats in any calculator, my BMR is around 1100 which makes weightloss so difficult lol!