Help with my first 5k

Options
I have discovered a 5k, on tarmac with no hills, which runs every single Saturday morning. I've signed up for this weekly event with my first 5k on the 24th September.

I am 21, female and 142lbs though I'm quite short so this makes me about 10lbs overweight. I've never, ever run a 5k before though can just about jog for twenty minutes without stopping which, according to the website, is enough as walking all of it is fine, as it is a free, non-competitive event.

My questions are:
1 - What kind of time should I be able to do this in, given my lack of training? I've tried google and seen everything from 40 minutes to 26 minutes for a beginner. The 24th will be quite slow and I'll get faster over time but what sort of time would be 'good' for my stats?

2 - Any tips at all for my first ever 5k? As the ParkRun is held every Saturday, I'm hoping to run every week so will learn as I go but any advice in the two weeks I have before I run, for the run itself or afterwards?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure it's a good approach to just jump right into a 5k like that. You may end up injuring yourself from pushing yourself. There's such a thing as too much too soon. However, you might want to look into trying the C25K program. I don't want to discourage you or anything, but please readjust your expectations. It's great you can run 20 minutes though, and that will definitely carry you far. You could probably alternate run/walking and just be mindful of how your legs feel. Remember to warmup, stretch, and cooldown.

To answer your questions, specifically
    1. There's no real way to know what your time is going to be. My first 5k I did, I was 20 lbs overweight and I had a time of 38:22. The path was hills and curves. The 2nd 5k I did was nearly 2 years later (this past spring), no longer overweight, and a baby later to boot, and my time was 32:46. The path for this one was in the city and only had one incline, and was in the pouring rain. There's just too many variables, and your current ability is going to affect your time greatly.

2. Warmup, stretch, cool down Go at your own pace. Don't try to "race" other people. Just do you. Listen to your body's cues. Don't push yourself. It's ok to slow down or even walk. Also, day before race, carb load. Usually after the race there's refreshments, which are all carbs. Eat them.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I'm not really sure it's a good approach to just jump right into a 5k like that.

I am VI so need a sighted guide to run the 5k but can train on a treadmill. As such, I have to fit into their client schedules. It was either start on the 24th and go every Saturday or wait until the end of February 2017 when they are taking on new guides and have more slots open. I though sooner rather than later was the better option before I give up on the idea and never get moving. I know it isn't the best but I thought it was better than nothing.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I'm not really sure it's a good approach to just jump right into a 5k like that.

I am VI so need a sighted guide to run the 5k but can train on a treadmill. As such, I have to fit into their client schedules. It was either start on the 24th and go every Saturday or wait until the end of February 2017 when they are taking on new guides and have more slots open. I though sooner rather than later was the better option before I give up on the idea and never get moving. I know it isn't the best but I thought it was better than nothing.

Just be mindful of your body. Don't push yourself too hard. The first time I tried training for a 5k, I pushed myself too hard and did too much too soon. I ended up giving myself Plantar Fasciitis which sidelined me for a while, not to mention it was painful. I couldn't even stand up without my foot feeling crippled with pain. It took a long time after that, nearly a year, before I could train again. So, cautionary tale, and all that. Listen to your body. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Jog for 20 minutes as you say you are able then plan to walk the rest. If you do that, closer to 40-45 min. Are you going to run any time other than Sat morning?

Honestly I think you'd be best off to start c25k on your own then sign up in Feb. That way you'll get moving and set yourself up for success.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ParkRun is a really good way to get into running without much pressure. What I'd say is , don't worry about the time it takes you. Once you've done one you have a benchmark for improvement.

What I would do is suggest that you use some form of structured plan to help your running development. Couch to 5K is pretty good, but there are others.

In my local ParkRun people will do anything from 16 minutes to 60 minutes, so don't worry about what someone else thinks is a good time.

What I'd add is, have a chat with the guide beforehand. They should be asking about your situation and will probably give you some advice about the route. So a run/ walk approach might work out better than running for 20 minutes then walking. Try a run for 5 then walk for 2 or similar.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Go for it, but aim to run/walk to start with. Personally I'd jog for five minutes, walk for one minute rather than jogging for 20 then walking the rest. Gradually increase your running time each Saturday so jog for 6 walk for 1 the next week. As to times, well average walking pace you could do it in an hour. Enjoy
  • MamaMenorca
    MamaMenorca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a little unclear about your running schedule... are you only running the one day a week? This will make it very hard to see much progress if you cannot run another 2 or so days per week. Agreed that C25K is the best way to go. You will build your speed this way if nothing else. Even marathoners find that running for a mile then walking for a minute during a RACE will give them a faster finishing time!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you or have you been running at all up to the date of your post here? If not, then c25k is where you need to start. I am unclear what sort of running fitness you have currently? I assume you have some good running shoes and enough runs in them to ensure they work well for your gait?

The very first run that you do ever, should only to be to finish, not pick up a good running time, etc.

You should train on as close to the running terrain that you want to "compete on". Treadmill can be used for some various types of running training, but in no way should be your source to running to train on exclusively. Since this a local area run, go run and walk that course outside of the Saturday's.

And a good time, is based on your running experience, age, training etc. To give you a little perspective, I ran a 5k two weeks ago, I just turned 48 yesterday, and my time was 26:16, been running 2 years. I actually made a PR on this run.. You need to lower your expectations on the timing/pace of your first run.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I would actually suggest to go with a structured 5K program like C25K before jumping in like this (if the first weeks are too easy for you then move on to the next one).

Also for your first run I would recommend not focusing on a specific finishing time but just focus on the experience of the race and on the finishing line. After that you can slowly start building speed through structured training. Or go for endurance if you plan to run more than 5k.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My current shedual is to run twice a week on a treadmill and everyone Saturday
  • LovenOutdoors1
    LovenOutdoors1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello. My advice with running is to build yourself up. Get out and jog 1k and see how that goes. If you're OK then increase the distance. You need to jog at a steady pace at first. As you get fitter then try sprinting for 25-20 seconds before jogging while you recover. I would say 25-40 minutes is a reasonable time depending on how fit you are.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My current shedual is to run twice a week on a treadmill and everyone Saturday

Three times a week is reasonable for 5K training, although personally I'm not keen on tradmills I can understand why it's appropriate for you.

Just relax with it, don't push yourself to go out too fast, so that you can sustain it.

ParkRuns are all very friendly.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you are new to treadmills don't do what I did trying one last week - went at my desired pace (rather than one I can really run at comfortably) and forgot that unlike the road, the inclines aren't followed by downhill so hilly routes on a treadmill might be harder than real life! I run regularly and that knackered me.

(Oops!)

Only other tip - run slowly at first. My first mile is usually my slowest so I don't burn out before it's over.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eh. I NEVER run except in 5k races every couple months. Since you can jog for 20 min and walk the rest I think you'll do fine. Running outside is a lot different than the treadmill but I find it a little easier just because the treadmill is so painfully boring and if you're running with others it is more motivating.