Afraid of not being able to work out on holiday!

Options
So today is my last day of being able to work out for 7 days as I go on holiday tomorrow. I've done so well! I only have about half a stone left to lose, can now run a 10k under 55 minutes and have some real definition around my stomach arms and legs. Any tips on how to not lose my gains on holiday? I'm panicking here! Already got the protein powder packed

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Work out on holiday if you're that bothered
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You need to be conscious of your eating within reason (come on, it's still vacation!). Otherwise, let it go!

There are going to be days, weeks, and periods of time in your life where you won't be able to work out. this is okay. Part of maintaining physical fitness and health for life is getting back on the wagon and not letting this throw you off on a binge.

7 days in the scheme of your entire life is nothing! have fun and get back on the grind when you're back!
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was on holiday for a week in April at an all inclusive resort and was really worried about this so I understand exactly what you are thinking. My strategy was to eat my normal breakfast, light lunch, protein and salad, then relaxed for dinner. I alternated alcoholic drinks with water and my trainer gave me a modified 30 min workout which I did with my husband 3 times during the week. Ended up putting on two pounds during the week which I lost as soon as I was back to my normal routine. Have fun and enjoy your holiday.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A week's rest/recovery may actually help. You don't lose "gains" in a week!
    Already got the protein powder packed
    Hope that's a joke or is the food really poor where you are going?
    If it is then you won't need to worry about gaining weight! ;)

Stay active, don't keep going back to buffets but more importantly enjoy yourself and get a better sense of perspective would be my suggestion.

And don't panic if you do gain some weight, typically my holiday weight gain is half temporary bloat and half fat.
    Don't weigh yourself for a few days after you return if you can't handle seeing a temporary change.
  • fionamc74
    fionamc74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. It's that long since I had a holiday it's hard for me to take a break from training! We are going self catering so at least I can watch what I eat! I have been training 5/6 days a week for months now so hoping it will do me good :-)
  • fionamc74
    Options
    Lesely2603 wrote: »
    I was on holiday for a week in April at an all inclusive resort and was really worried about this so I understand exactly what you are thinking. My strategy was to eat my normal breakfast, light lunch, protein and salad, then relaxed for dinner. I alternated alcoholic drinks with water and my trainer gave me a modified 30 min workout which I did with my husband 3 times during the week. Ended up putting on two pounds during the week which I lost as soon as I was back to my normal routine. Have fun and enjoy your holiday.

• fionamc74
    Options
    Thank you for your response! It's hard to take a break when seeing results but I guess we need a life too :-)
  • fionamc74
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    You need to be conscious of your eating within reason (come on, it's still vacation!). Otherwise, let it go!

There are going to be days, weeks, and periods of time in your life where you won't be able to work out. this is okay. Part of maintaining physical fitness and health for life is getting back on the wagon and not letting this throw you off on a binge.

7 days in the scheme of your entire life is nothing! have fun and get back on the grind when you're back!

• fionamc74
    Options
    Thank you. I am in a habit of over training so maybe this will make me have the rest I need! :-)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    A break is fine, but if your main exercise is running, that can be done pretty much anywhere. Why would you have to stop if you don't want to?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    fionamc74 wrote: »
    Already got the protein powder packed

Take that out, and put your running kit in the space...

Priorities