fitness watches

Options
300101 Posts: 7 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I am thinking of purchasing a fitbit but I wanted to get a few opinions about other less known watches because I don't know much about them as a whole. If you have a fitness watch could you comment what you like about it and some of your favourite features :) thanks!

Replies

• Dutchy_77
    Dutchy_77 Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit aria and i like it a lot. its simple and easy to use.
    yet powerful enough for me.

i think you have to know what you use it for. i use it for walking and running.
    Options
    I wanted a watch suitable for swimming but with a screen. I was looking and they are really difficult to find for a good price
  • shawna101711
    shawna101711 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Alta. I like it ok but I just bought a polar a360. I wanted the HR monitor without a chest strap I am still waiting on it so we will see
    Options
    I was actually thinking aboht buying the alta. What do you like the most about it?
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    jpderidder wrote: »

Do you mean Alta? Aria is a scale.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit one and surge, switched to Garmin vivosmart HR, which I like a lot better. Fitbit bands break so easy and I had a few other problems with it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR. I like having a GPS with me always. It's a speedometer on my bike, records a map of where I swam, and helps me avoid getting lost when I hike, climb, or ski. Also I like the smart stuff, notifications from my phone. And that the battery lasts a week between charges if I use it a lot. And that it looks good.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I have used the Garmin VivoFit, the Garmin VivoSmart HR, and just upgraded to the VivoActive HR.

I like the Garmin Connect ecosystem due to the fact is is more "meat and potatoes" than Fitbits or Misfits systems. I like the pure numbers.

All of the Vivo line up is water resistant which allows for swimming, bathing, water parks, and other water based activities.

They all have the basic features. Step, Sleep, and move reminders. And daily goal limits. Garmin adjust your daily step goal so you're always pushing you're self a little more than you were yesterday. You don't have a preset "x" amount of steps like you do with some of the other platforms.

The VivoActive HR, has Swimming, Walking, Cycling, Running, Spinning, Treadmill, SUP as well as some other activities to track a wide variety of actives. And will connect to ANT+ sensors. Cycling Speed, Cycling Cadence, chest mounted HR monitors, Temp Sensors, Running Cadence ....

Plus the VivoSmart HR, and the VivoActive HR allow for full notifications from your phone. If you get a notification on your phone you can push it to your watch. You're not just limited to calls, text, and calendar like Fitbits....
    Options
    Thanks guys most of you habe mentioned a brand called Garmin, I've never heard of it but ill check it out
  • mapetry
    mapetry Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another vote for garmin. I have the vivosmart hr and love it. Plus it is waterproof. As noted above the online interface is nice as well. The only downside to it over the Fitbit is it is a bit larger and not as "stylish" looking . I am in construction so it doesn't bother me. if I dress up and go out I take it off only when at dinner party all other time it is on my wrist.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Check out Rizknows & Jim's Review Room on YouTube. They do some comparison videos on the two. Hardware and Software. ....
  • Dutchy_77
    Dutchy_77 Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    jpderidder wrote: »

Do you mean Alta? Aria is a scale.

sorry my mistake i have both. but i have the Alta on my wrist. :#

• JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have the original Garmin Vivoactive and was just reading up on the newest model with HR. I have used my watch/fitness tracker for over a year and have had no issues. Definitely waterproof tracking laps swims. There is a Tri app that can be downloaded but I didn't have much success using that (I guess one thing I don't like about it), but otherwise I highly recommend Garmin.
  • Manda5352
    Manda5352 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit blaze I love it
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the polar A360 and you can swim with it..also u don't have to use the chest strap which is a plus for me but there are some workouts like lifting weight that the use of the chest strap it better. I wanted to get a fitbit but after speaking to customer service and they said I could swim with there products I stayed with polar.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR. I like having a GPS with me always. It's a speedometer on my bike, records a map of where I swam, and helps me avoid getting lost when I hike, climb, or ski. Also I like the smart stuff, notifications from my phone. And that the battery lasts a week between charges if I use it a lot. And that it looks good.

I have the same one. I love it
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Top for your needs are either the latest fenix or The forerunner 735. Suunto Spartan, or the other one with the same features that I don't remember the name. Neither are cheap...
    Work well: old Forerunner 930, vivoactive hr.

Nothing else would do what you want. There are some good swim watches, but they don't do running