heat and humidity raising the scale?

Options
I have been 121lbs for the last 3 years. I am trying to lose my last 5 lbs. All of a sudden since this heat and humid air arrived my scale has been anywhere from 123 to 125lbs! Is it because we are holding water in? I have not eaten enough to gain 4 lbs! I go to the gym 4 days a week and run 15-20 miles a week. any thoughts??? thanks! Im discouraged..I guess I am a numbers girl. My clothes are not tight at all either..

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    interesting....the opposite is happening to me! Hot and humid, losing faster than normal.....probably sweating more in my case.

Could you be retaining? Try really pushing your workouts for a few days and see what happens.

:love:
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Try lowering your sodium (less than 1000g per day... ideally around 800g if you can) and upping your water for a few days and seeing if that helps.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Very well could be water, are you drinking enough water? Could also be your building more muscle and the tears in the muscle are retaining blood while they heal. Try changing up your routine some and see what happens.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem, and it sure is hot here in Charleston. so maybe you are on to something.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The heat makes me swell and the scale shows a gain......when the temp goes down so does the swelling and weight so it could be.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    I might be wrong ,but maybe it is unrelated to the heat and has more to do with your exercise. You mentioned plenty of physical activity in your post, so It could be that you are gaining muscle rather than fat. Muscle is much heavier than fat. When I was 160 pounds (i miss that :P) I looked soft but a nurse I spoke to was 175 and she looked awesome. She explained to me that she had a very low body fat percentage and showed me her solid abs! Maybe you should measure yourself and go by changes in that instead of just the pounds. Hope this helps. Also remember that it is feeling healthier that matters most.
  • bren711
    bren711 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! I am used to running, so when I did lower workout the other day (lunges, squats, hamstrings, etc) I can hardly walk today..so maybe my muscles are retaining some fluid...I feel bloated..I know I didnt eat enough to gain that. I hate the scale sometimes, and should stop looking at it!
  • GingerIJones
    GingerIJones Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't mastered this but I hear that when we eat we need to fill our tummies only to about the size of a balloon that you've only blown into a time or two. Not very much in other words. Then to push away. Not to starve ourselves but to eat at least (no further apart than) every four hours. Oftentimes we can trick our bodies into preserving vs expending calories by not giving it enough fuel. It's quite a challenge no matter who we are or how much we wish to lose. That is why I am really caring to those who need to lose mega amounts of weight. I gained when I quit smoking. Always struggled to lose the last ten or five all my life. I think our bodies have a set point. I think we can trick our bodies and go beyond it but it's hard work for sure. Good luck to everyone.
  • bren711
    bren711 Posts: 6
    Options
    The problem is my husband thinks my body is holding on to the fat because Im getting only 1350 cal a day..I think thats enough, I follow fitness pal, but honestly, havent lost anything by following it lately. like yesterday I did a double at the gym by the time I put everything in, I still had 700 calories to eat at 9pm...which I didnt..Im just at a loss..I dont eat dairy, redmeat, or junk food..whats left..lol