Avoiding the scale

Options
So I'm back home from a recent deployment which I lost almost 20lbs during. My motivation to work-out and eat right sure did go down the drain when I stepped foot on American soil. American food is just sooo delicious! It's been 3 weeks and I probably have gained at least HALF of what took me 4 months to lose. :grumble: But of course...I'm avoiding this reality by not stepping on the scale. I am DREADING getting on that scale. I have to attend organized physical training tomorrow and think I'm going to suck it up and step on the scale.

It's time to assess the damage.

I'm getting ready for a road trip....moving across the country. Any tips on how to stay on track with my eating while on the road? There are a lot more McDonald's out there than there are Subway's.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• jessjess
    Options
    So I'm back home from a recent deployment which I lost almost 20lbs during. My motivation to work-out and eat right sure did go down the drain when I stepped foot on American soil. American food is just sooo delicious! It's been 3 weeks and I probably have gained at least HALF of what took me 4 months to lose. :grumble: But of course...I'm avoiding this reality by not stepping on the scale. I am DREADING getting on that scale. I have to attend organized physical training tomorrow and think I'm going to suck it up and step on the scale.

It's time to assess the damage.

I'm getting ready for a road trip....moving across the country. Any tips on how to stay on track with my eating while on the road? There are a lot more McDonald's out there than there are Subway's.

Thanks guys.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Step on the scale... you can do it.

As for the road... opt for those family runned restaurants and try and avoid fast food. Get good foods like salads and soups.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Get salads...I guess. Or grilled chicken. Take lots of snacks with you...apples, granola bars...take a loaf of low calorie bread and a cooler with turkey and fat free cheese. Just make good choices...you know what's good for you! Good luck!

*Kistinbee*
  • alaskagal
    Options
    I think sometimes when you're traveling it better to stop at the local grocery and stick to the outside perimeter while shopping. Fruits, veggies, maybe some chicken breast at the deli. I find almonds a great snack. Also you might want to stock a small cooler with water, apples, celery, and almond butter for some protein. Maybe if you aren't quite so hungry when you stop it will be easier to resist the tempations while on the road.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Just did a long road trip and what I did is packed healthy low cal snacks avoided fast food and when I did eat I ordered turkey, grilled chicken and only ate half of the meal. Good luck and have fun.
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    if you're forced to hit mcdonald's... get the classic grilled chicken sandwich or the asian salad. they're not bad at all. i gained 7 lbs when i moved from arizona to colorado... had to live in a hotel for 3 weeks till the new house was ready, so we ate out a lot. oh if i had it to do over again, i'd have eaten a lot more healthy instead of like it was my last day on earth!
  • jessjess
    Options
    if you're forced to hit mcdonald's... get the classic grilled chicken sandwich or the asian salad. they're not bad at all.

Thanks. I'll remember that.
    Yeah, we're driving from Virginia to California with 2 dogs. I'm anticipating lots of fast food stops.

I'll be sure to pack some healthy snacks too. Thanks for the advice guys.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Also - try the Fresco Style menu at Taco Bell. I swear by it.
    A Fresco Style regular taco has only 140 calories!
    (I know; I'm having one for dinner tonight.) :tongue:
  • jessjess
    Options
    Also - try the Fresco Style menu at Taco Bell. I swear by it.
    A Fresco Style regular taco has only 140 calories!
    (I know; I'm having one for dinner tonight.) :tongue:

Yum... Taco Bell is a MAJOR weakness of mine. I've never tried the Fresco stuff...but have eaten TONS of everything else on the menu. I'll try it out.