Getting fed up with the "You've lost to much weight comments"

Options
Does anyone else get this? Its all getting a bit sickening now. The problem is the folks saying it don't realise they are overweight.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    There are two reasons for this. Either you are starting to look sickly because you're not putting on muscle and/or losing muscle while eating at a high deficit like you've been informed before, or the individual's conception of weight is skewed. I get called anorexic by the older generation despite being no where near it. I shrug it off.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    There are two reasons for this. Either you are starting to look sickly because you're not putting on muscle and/or losing muscle while eating at a high deficit like you've been informed before, or the individual's conception of weight is skewed. I get called anorexic by the older generation despite being no where near it. I shrug it off.

Yes exactly it is the older generation that give these comments.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Haven't experienced that. Lost about 28 lbs now. No one has said a word to me about it no matter what their weight or relationship to me. No compliments, no complaints. I never talk about my weight or weight loss though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    Does anyone else get this? Its all getting a bit sickening now. The problem is the folks saying it don't realise they are overweight.

Dave what are your stats? How quickly have you been losing, and how much have you lost?

I personally have never seen what you look like, so I don't know whether you look too skinny or not. I also don't know whether these other people commenting are really overweight or if it's your perception. How can someone not realize they are overweight?

If you are losing weight too quickly, people in your life might say you're losing too much weight out of concern. This can be especially true if you have a skinny-fat look (which, I don't know whether you do or not, I am just speculating at this point).

I've had people say I was getting too thin, and yet others who said I needed to lose more. I figure they have a rights to their opinions, just as I have the right to reject what they say.

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    you could lose some more weight per your other threads, if that's what you want to hear.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are you too skinny? Like SLLRunner, I'd like to know a bit about your stats before chiming in.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend gets the same comments from his family. "You've lost so much weight, you look ill, why are you still losing weight?"
    The funny thing is he's still at the top end of the overweight section of the bmi chart, they just have a very skewed perception of what a healthy weight looks like.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Dave what are your stats? How quickly have you been losing, and how much have you lost?

I personally have never seen what you look like, so I don't know whether you look too skinny or not. I also don't know whether these other people commenting are really overweight or if it's your perception. How can someone not realize they are overweight?

If you are losing weight too quickly, people in your life might say you're losing too much weight out of concern. This can be especially true if you have a skinny-fat look (which, I don't know whether you do or not, I am just speculating at this point).

I've had people say I was getting too thin, and yet others who said I needed to lose more. I figure they have a rights to their opinions, just as I have the right to reject what they say.
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Oh yes lost it to quick, 60 lbs in 6 months, I am skinny fat.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    I've had the opposite. I've been asked how I've lost so much weight and don't look sickly and gaunt like other people they know who have lost a lot of weight. In fact, one person said my skin looks amazing (and I had not a stitch of make-up on that particular day). Difference is I've lost relatively slowly and have strength trained throughout. I look fit and healthy because I am fit and healthy.

You cut with a huge deficit so I wouldn't be surprised if you look a bit drawn in the face which can lead to people extrapolating it to being too skinny as they perceive your weight to be lower than it is. Perils of losing too fast.

I had this yesterday. In the U.K. We work with stone rather than lbs. An older guy says " Dave don't loss any more weight please, how much do U weigh now" i told him 12 stone, No way are you 12 stone, more like 11 which is around 150lbs, He is 13 he told me and to me looks thinner than me.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how you under-eat nearly every single day, there's a good chance you *might* actually be getting too skinny.
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Its got given as a compliment though, its a "Your looking to skinny now" comment.

Yes, just got this from my mom today. When I told her I needed to lose another 15 lbs in addition to starting to build muscle, she thought I was crazy. When she asked what I weigh now, I told her 147 (I'm 5'6" med frame) she didn't know what to say. Also, I'm not getting enough protein so I bought powder to make smoothies since I'm going to be adding weight training next week. When she saw it, she said it was ridiculous.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    People like to have something to talk about. If anything changes around them, big or small, they will talk about it, and that means you, too.

I am a 5'4" woman. A few years ago, I lost about 40 pounds and got down to 145. A neighbor asked another neighbor if I was ill or had cancer (145 is the edge of normal and overweight for my height). The second neighbor promptly told me. Good grief, people, get a life.

If my mother or somebody close to me talked to me about being too skinny and I knew I wasn't, I think I would get an inch from her face and tell her in a friendly manner that I was fine, that she was bugging me, and she needed to find another hobby.