If you're under your calorie limit, does it matter what you

Options
Hello,

First I'd like to add that I tried searching for a similar topic on the forums but there is so many new posts within minutes and I couldn't figure out how to word this for an accurate search, so forgive me if this is discussed ad nauseum.

For the most part I eat a lot of healthy foods, at least I'd like to think so, I stay in the green on my calorie/carbohydrate/fat/protein limits. I run 3 miles every other day, and do strength training every other day. I've lost 12-14 pounds (didn't start weighing myself right away) in the past 30 days from this.

Anyways, there are some days when going to a fast food place is easier for me due to time constraints. So say if I wanted to get a fried chicken sandwich from one of these burger joints with some apple slices and a diet soda, IF I'm under my limits on everything, is that okay? I'm not interested in doing this everyday, but every once in a while. To be honest, I've done this twice in the past 30 days and went down on the scale the following day. But obviously the food isn't all that healthy.

Sorry for the long post.

tl;dr - can I eat fast food on special occasions if I'm under all of my food (calorie, carb, fat, etc) limits

EDIT: I'd also like to add that when I eat at this fast food place, it's not one meal that consumes my entire calorie limit for the day. I can still have enough for 2 meals and a snack after the trip to the fast food place.

Replies

• shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, yes you can eat it if you are under your calories. Though saying that I've been eating unhealthy stuff when I've been over haha :-P it sucks when I get cravings because I HAVE to eat the thing I'm craving - something I need to work on.

Obviously it is better to eat healthily within your calorie limit, but at the same time it's not always practical to eat 100% healthy 24/7, so I'd say having the odd unhealthy treat every now and then isn't too bad as long as you don't overdo it.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yeah, having anything just every once in a while won't kill you. I'd guess that twice in a month stopping at a fast food joint would be ok.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want it. Whether your diary is green or red, but there are consequences for everything you put into your body.

As you said, fast food isn't healthy. If you enjoy it as a treat and really want it - go for it. I personally don't enjoy it. It makes me feel yucky inside, but to each their own.

That being said - as you know, feeding your body nutritionally right is going to give you more benefits than not. But our bodies are pretty amazing at handling the garbage we feed them from time to time. Just know what you're doing and be smart about it.

I'm personally not a fan of soda, diet or otherwise I equate that stuff with poison, but that's just me (and some other scientists/researchers/health nuts)
  • momlet2
    momlet2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do this too - and I don't feel guilty about it. If we eliminate all of the conveniences completely, this becomes "dieting" and burdensome, rather than a reasonable lifestyle option. I wouldn't worry about it - balance is the key!
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    If you don't do it every day I don't see why that would be an issue.

Keep in mind however, I'm not an expert and my posts are merely an opinion. :D
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    I agree if it's everyone once in a while that's ok. You obviously don't want to do this everyday because unhealthy things follow it. Even if you're losing weight your starving your body of essential nutrients,

I had fast food twice yesterday - not the good thing to do. But when you crave it you should treat yourself to it so you don't binge on it. However, if you eat the unhealthy try to make the rest of your day as healthy as possible. And work out that little extra. Should help in the long run.

Hope that helps.
  • nlassite
    nlassite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been told to give yourself one cheat meal a week.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had subway, it fit into my day and I had other meals and I didn't go over, I think that it's fine as long as you're not starving yourself all day just to eat a burger king or something, you seem pretty sensible from your post so I'm sure what you're talking about will be fine for you! :)
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would say go for it. One of the biggest things that always kept me failing with "diets" is that I always felt deprived of things I wanted. So hey, if you're under your calorie limits, enjoy the things you like! That way you don't need to feel like you're "losing" anything. =)
  • atucker_mom
    atucker_mom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same thing. I am not a healthy eater, and have trouble eating the right things. For the most part, I have continuously lost weight. I am down 48 lbs in the last 6 months. If I eat the wrong foods repetitively, then it slows down the weight loss, but the only time I have stopped losing is when I have consisteently been over my calorie goal.

I know that my body functions better on healthy food, but I can say that I can still lose the weight with a few indulgences.

Best of luck to you!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Apple Slices - Great Idea.
    Garden Salad - Great Idea.
    Diet Soda/Pop (for the rest of us Canadians) - OUCH!! :frown:

The artificial sugars like aspertame etc. in diet colas changes the PH balance in your body until it is more acidic. This causes your body to LOSE its ability to burn fat. :frown:

Have you ever seen those REALLY overweight people who order diet sodas? There is a reason they're overweight. Their body doesn't BURN fat anymore. :noway: The good work you do exercising for 3 hours is cancelled with 1 8-oz Diet Soda.

If you want to fast-food, make it water... or at least natural fruit juice or something. The soda is SO bad for you!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I still eat frozen pizza at least once a week.

Eating "junk" every now and then won't hurt. Eating it consistently would be bad, because you won't get the proper nutrients from it. Plus, fast and frozen food is typically higher in calories than "real" food, so you can eat MORE good food and stay under your calories.

That's why I quit having Lean Cuisines. Not because they're "bad," but because I can cook my own chicken or shrimp with a little rice or pasta and veggies and eat a lot more of it for the same amount of calories and a lot less sodium.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Every now and then I just have to have a quarter pounder. Guess what? The calorie police didn't come along and snatch me up :laugh: For anything to stick, you have to indulge from time to time. I have learned how to allow a glass of wine in my daily calorie goal, I know someone else that allows for a few oreo's a couple of times a week.

That said.... you didn't say what fast food chain this was but any chance you can get grilled instead of fried chicken ?

L
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat fast food, but there are other things I indulge in. For me, I always stay in the green. I eat healthy, but I do indulge....I mean for me, If I take away everything I liked before, what I'm doing now will not stick. So far I've lost 25 pounds and I'm still going strong.

I think it just depends on you. Weight loss is works differently for everyone. And you know what works for you. You've lost 12 pounds in the last month! You are obviously making great choices! :smile:
  • GingerIJones
    GingerIJones Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is all a process.
    I do think the cleaner the better.
    But I have not always felt or thought that way.
    The convenience or (bad) foods?
    The more you learn about them the more you realize what they are (and/or aren't).
    Over time you just love real (made by God and not jacked up by man's intervention) foodstuffs.
    The simpler the better. It really is about not buying stuff some big company markets to us because they want our money.
    It is about us choosing the most healthy real foods we can find and consuming them on an as needed basis.
    It all does come together in time if this is what you truly seek.
    We have lots to overcome once we start this journey.
    It can seem overwhelming at times.
    But day by day we can find our way through the maze.
    I love all the junk personally.
    But I am so vain I don't wish to be fat.
    Lord help us all.
    Some are totally clean.
    Some are half.
    Some are just totally not one bit able to know what is good or bad and limit portions.
    We have to be kind to ourselves and patience is the key.
    Make the best choices possible. Get up again the next day and do it again.
    A good rule of thumb for me is asking myself if the food I am purchasing, consuming, etc. was something my ancestors ate. If not then it probably isn't something I should be eating either. May the force be with you all. :)
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Every now and then I just have to have a quarter pounder. Guess what? The calorie police didn't come along and snatch me up :laugh: For anything to stick, you have to indulge from time to time. I have learned how to allow a glass of wine in my daily calorie goal, I know someone else that allows for a few oreo's a couple of times a week.

That said.... you didn't say what fast food chain this was but any chance you can get grilled instead of fried chicken ?

L

Well the past few times I went to a fast food place it was McDonalds and I got a Grilled Chicken Club sandwich with apple slices. But I'm thinking of the spicy chicken Asiago club sandwich from Wendy's or the spicy chicken sandwich from Chick Fil-A as a once/twice a month type deal to keep things interesting.
  • GingerIJones
    GingerIJones Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like the notion of how the diet cola sweetener makes us NOT burn the fat. Very interesting... Thanks.
  • heinkel45
    heinkel45 Posts: 2
    Options
    aka cheat meals can help kill that craving or earge to have something tasty ...i personally have 1-3 "cheat meals" a week but make sure im right back my on my proper eating habits .