Pet Peeves

Options
giammarcor
giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
A big part of my fitness program is my daily walk/run interval. There are always lots of people out there in the neighborhood walking when I'm out there, which leads me to my pet peeve. So many of these people walk on the wrong side of the road!! Is it just me or did these people not learn as kids that you are supposed to walk against traffic and ride a bicycle with traffic! It drives me crazy when I see people walking with traffice, especially those that are walking with kids or worse, with babies in strollers!!

It would drive me crazy to not see the cars on the while I was walking!! Whew, okay, there, I said it, I'll let it go now. Do you have any pet peeves related to your fitness goals??

Replies

• lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! It drives me crazy too! Especially when they are walking right at me.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    people who get in the pool, chat with their mates and then get out, thinking that's a workout. (and I'm talking about the ones who don't even do a length). It prevents me from getting to the end of the pool.
  • adamswife01
    adamswife01 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I cant stand the people that not only walk the wrong way.... but they do it in packs. So you have to go around or inconvenience them by walking through their mass.
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is lap swimmers that don't know how to share lanes, they swim right down the middle regardless of how many people are there! Also, the deep divers that dive way down and swim deep, it's so distracting to be swimming along and see people below you!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I was taught as you and I've always wondered the same - why doesn't everyone know this???
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I could have not said it better myself! What is worst is when they expect you to move out of their way even though it is them that is on the wrong side. Another thing that irritates me is when a large group of people are all walking or riding their bikes all together and they are all over the place and nobody else can get through but you are not able to get around them either. For example, where I live we have part of the Ohio/Erie Canal towpath and I frequently walk on it. The other day there was a group of 10 or 15 people all together walking. No big deal - other than the fact that they were walking in one huge group and there was no way to get around them because the canal is on one side and the flooded river is on the other side. It is wonderful to see families out together but be considerate of other walkers, joggers, runners, and bikers.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is lap swimmers that don't know how to share lanes, they swim right down the middle regardless of how many people are there! Also, the deep divers that dive way down and swim deep, it's so distracting to be swimming along and see people below you!

it is amazing though how many people do not know that you can swim with more than one person in a lane
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That is one of my hubby's biggest pet peeves too - but there are times that I walk on the "wrong" side of the road because of a curve or a hill or a bunch of trees that actually makes it harder to be seen on the "right" side - then I switch back.

One of my biggest pet peeves, is people getting all riled up about how other people reach their goals.
    I've got three kids 3 and under, a house, a yard, a garden, and a husband who works full time. I know other people can do it all, but I can't. Sometimes my workouts fall to the way side because I was up late with one baby and up early with the other. Sometimes, we eat ice cream just because it tastes good - even if I haven't left room for it in my calories! I would rather make memories with my little ones. I know what I need to be doing and should be doing and more days than not I do, but really, there are some days I don't even turn the computer on. It makes me sad to see people on here that get all upset about what they think other people should be doing. Or eating. Or running, walking, shopping, wearing, etc. Or worse trying to make someone feel guilty; "but if you don't log every bite, every day you'll never reach your goal".
    Bah. I'll get there and I'll be sane, and I won't have missed a moment with my little ones.
    J
  • rae125
    rae125 Posts: 25
    Options
    Cars that move over enough when I'm out. We don't have sidewalks where I live so no matter how far to the left or right (depending on my activity) of the road I am I'm still VERY close to the cars. There's no traffic on the roads so why don't these drivers swerve a little into the other lane and NOT come 4 inches from hitting me. Haven't they ever heard of sharing the road?!?

That, and humidity. I hate humidity. :angry:
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    Personally it doesn't really matter what direction you walk. If you are on a sidewalk or in the street because either way you are walking with traffic and now a days more people are walking and drivers are more aware of walkers. So there is no point to teach which why to walk because its not important. They just need to watch cars as well as cars watch them. Tho my pet peeve is people walking on the street when there is a sidewalk right next to them.
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Personally it doesn't really matter what direction you walk. If you are on a sidewalk or in the street because either way you are walking with traffic and now a days more people are walking and drivers are more aware of walkers. So there is no point to teach which why to walk because its not important. They just need to watch cars as well as cars watch them. Tho my pet peeve is people walking on the street when there is a sidewalk right next to them.

I'm not so sure I'd feel real comfortable with relying on someone driving a car keeping an eye on me. Especially these days when so many people are talking and/or texting on their phones while their driving. Are they supposed to be responsible? Sure they are. Am I going to rely on them being responsible rather than keeping an eye on them myself? Absolutely not. What into the traffic and you can always see where the cars are.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have numerous pet peeves. All variety of things annoy me.

One being when something unpleasant comes from sex and the first thing out of people's mouths is 'SHE SHOULD HAVE KEPT HER LEGS SHUT'. I hear it ALL THE TIME and just want to scream at them. You pricks realize there's a guy out there that agreed to bone her, right? It just irritates me.

Also high-horsery in any form.
  • kopykitty
    kopykitty Posts: 12
    Options
    oops.:wink:
  • kopykitty
    Options

Since I am not a swimmer (though did swin 50 yd free strok in a race last year-and almost died of exertion) I just found this funny. I can visualize this...and yes, it would be a start.....kinda like someone looking up your skirt. How rude......and funny (sorry can't wipe the smile off my face!

New at this.....now it makes more sense. ooops :>)
  • kopykitty
    Options
    That is one of my hubby's biggest pet peeves too - but there are times that I walk on the "wrong" side of the road because of a curve or a hill or a bunch of trees that actually makes it harder to be seen on the "right" side - then I switch back.

One of my biggest pet peeves, is people getting all riled up about how other people reach their goals.
    I've got three kids 3 and under, a house, a yard, a garden, and a husband who works full time. I know other people can do it all, but I can't. Sometimes my workouts fall to the way side because I was up late with one baby and up early with the other. Sometimes, we eat ice cream just because it tastes good - even if I haven't left room for it in my calories! I would rather make memories with my little ones. I know what I need to be doing and should be doing and more days than not I do, but really, there are some days I don't even turn the computer on. It makes me sad to see people on here that get all upset about what they think other people should be doing. Or eating. Or running, walking, shopping, wearing, etc. Or worse trying to make someone feel guilty; "but if you don't log every bite, every day you'll never reach your goal".
    Bah. I'll get there and I'll be sane, and I won't have missed a moment with my little ones.
    J

My daughter has a rational way to look at food. Mostly it is supportive. She looks at the food diary and understands that it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound, she recognizes that salt (aka food out) adds weight (so drink more water to wash it away), don't just kibitz on your food , add what you actually, truly ate so that you can SEE what you ate. You cannot fix what you don't acknowledge and most of all BE NICE to yourself. Have realistic expectations. She helps me a lot. I am not good at this: eating to loose weight. I am good at NOT eating to loose weight and then I gain it back when I do eat! Best of all my daughter is helping me to recognize what is exercise that I do on a daily basis; like, lifting the children (my mother used to play with us in the yard and give us rides on her feet (laying in crunch-abs-position) and lifting us up and down. I am 60+ years and just realized that was how she stayed slim at her age of 30+. Also, jumping rope with the kids. Play is an important exercise! So ladies, relax, pay attention, don't buy food you don't want to eat, and enjoy your life. Even if you don't especially like where you are at now........like yourself. Like the clouds in the sky, there is no one else like you. You are a miracle. You are special. Believe!!! Thanks...Love you all.
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have numerous pet peeves. All variety of things annoy me.

One being when something unpleasant comes from sex and the first thing out of people's mouths is 'SHE SHOULD HAVE KEPT HER LEGS SHUT'. I hear it ALL THE TIME and just want to scream at them. You pricks realize there's a guy out there that agreed to bone her, right? It just irritates me.

Also high-horsery in any form.
    Soo totally wrong to say and soooo very funny. Thank you sooooooooo much:laugh: