No Grain Diet?

Options
Has anyone here tried the No Grain diet? I've had two friends recently try it with amazing success (average of 20lbs each in a month). It seems healthy enough (and both my friends are doctors) but I'm not sure I have the discipline. I think I'm going to start it a week from now because starting a no grain diet three days before my "time of the month" would be just plain silly! :laugh:

For those that don't know it's kind of like low-/no-carb but you also can't have any grains or sugars. So you can't have things like carrots, bananas, or beets because of their sugar/starch levels. It's a lot of protein and a lot of veggies like asparagus, brocolli, spinach, ect.

Here's the book's website: http://www.nograindiet.com/Default.aspx

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I love my carbs too much. I'm more of a "everything in moderation" type gal.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Is it something you could live with... forever? Sounds very restrictive.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    except that study after study has shown that people who eat whole grains weigh less than those who don't .... a diet low in refined grains I would understand (and I still say "low" because I think most people discover that cutting entire groups of food out of what they eat ends up not lasting all that long), but eliminating all grains ... that doesn't make any sense to me. more info here: http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/what-are-the-health-benefits (they're a non-profit advocacy group, so they have no financial motivation to get you to eat more whole grains).
  • rae125
    rae125 Posts: 25
    Options
    Is it something you could live with... forever? Sounds very restrictive.

Yes and no. Once you are at your goal weight it gets a lot more free in what you can eat, including things like adding complex carbs and whole grain back into your diet. The super restrictive part is definitely supposed to be temporary. And it's really not THAT restrictive if you love proteins. If I take out the tortillas and ice cream it's pretty much how I ate for 6 months in Mexico.

I have a love affair with carbs as well but it's tempting to give them up for a month to have some fast results.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I love my carbs too much. I'm more of a "everything in moderation" type gal.

Me too.....I like my carbs to much to try this.

But hey different things work for different people and who am I to say anything. Give it a go and see if it works for you!!
  • punk_mama
    punk_mama Posts: 93
    Options
    Any diet that completely eliminates whole food groups is not healthy. losing 20lbs in a month is not healthy at all. I would bet that anyone who does this will gain the weight back.