Night Shift Worker

Options
Hi ! Just wondering if there's any other night shift workers here? I work 3-4 nights a week 7pm-7am.
Does anyone have any input on how inadequate sleep affects weightloss? Thanks :)

Replies

• babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was a midnight baker at timmies (before I had my bosses baby :smiley: ) off at 7am, workout, supper, bed noon-8, work at 11pm
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,983 Member
    Options
    I worked night shift before and didn't get inadequate sleep. I just switched my days and nights.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Enough sleep is essential in so many ways. And, as you have surmised, not getting enough can affect weight loss.
  • CompanionNerd
    CompanionNerd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to work 5 nights 11-7, now I work 2 7p-7a and 2 3-11s, I find it makes me shirk exercise more than eat more, Its hard to find motivation when you are exhausted. I feel like I frequently have a sleep debt, even if I sleep 8 hours during the day I am still tired.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It's difficult but not impossible. Sleep is very essential to me. I found when I lack sleep, I am tired and compensate by over eating to stay awake while I am at work during the grave yard shift.
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options
    I usually go home at 7am. Sleep until 10-11. Get up, work out, and then carry on my day as normal. I work out everyday, I've only missed 1 day in 3 weeks and I don't feel too tired to meal plan or cook healthy. It's not what I'm doing different because of night shifts that bothers me it's wondering if my body is going to cooperate with me and shed the pounds even if I am a little sleep deprived from time to time.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do what you can by sleeping more on the days off. I am not an expert, but my feeling is that sleep is more important than working out. Keep trying to find a plan that works for you.
    Remember that weight loss is mostly about food.
    Working out burns a smaller amount of calories than we think. Working out is for strength, balance, flexibility, fitness, endurance.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've been working night shift for 5 years now. I get an average of 4 hours of sleep a day because I also watch my toddler while the husband is at work. There is no way for me to get more so I just try and catch up on my days off. I've been logging here for over 70 days and am down 32 lbs so I really don't feel that it has affected too much.
  • JandL721
    JandL721 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shift nurse. I work 7p-7a mostly but do have the occasional meetings that are only dayshift thrown in the mix too. When working I average 6-7 hours of sleep. It is hard to get all the protein in & meals in when I'm flip flopping shifts but otherwise it's not too bad. I'm down 27 pounds over the past 3 months.
  • Dejahvu04
    Dejahvu04 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get off at 7 am get in bed around 9 and wake up around 3. I don't work out too much except my days off any maybe weekends. There's day where I work 11 pm to 3pm with 4 hours sleep then go back to work for the next shift. I still manage to lose weight
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've worked nights for 10 years now and get an avarage of 30 hours sleep per week. It causes me to be over tired and get head aches but I've gone from20 stone to14 stone in the 2 years I've been trying. My main problem is I eat more food and a lot of it includes unhealthy choices to help keep me awake. These last couple of stone will be harder but it is possible x
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think the main issue with lack of sleep is that many time we tend to snack when we are awake for long periods. Also reaching for sources of caffeine to help with exhaustion doesn't help. If you can adjust your diet to add more protein to keep you full during long stretches and cut the caloric drinks with caffeine, you'll be ok.
  • chytastic
    chytastic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am, I work 6:30 pm to 3:30 am, I saw someone post about switching shifts but it is not that easy.
    Hard to get a full nights sleep after work, I drop the boyfriend off and I need to run errands during the day. Job is very strict about switching shifts been on a wait list for months, dealing with uncontrolled diabetes and depression/anxiety.