Yoga vs Weight Training for Weight Loss

Options
Javachipgirl
Javachipgirl Posts: 27 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm trying to loose 80lbs. I would like opinions on yoga vs weight training. I seem to exercise better in a class, which means yoga 3x a week. But want to get results so I'm concerned about maximizing my limited gym time. Please share your opinions as to whether yoga can be as effective as lifting weights in my own. Thank you!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for health, calorie deficit for weight loss.

This^

Niether are big calorie burners. So if you are relying on "just exercise" for weight loss, it's going to be incredibly slow.

Instead eat less & move more. Pick exercise that you enjoy and you will be more likely to continue to do that forever. Better health is (hopefully) forever.
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with ^ to chose what you enjoy and will go back to. I'm at a cal deficit and doing lots of yoga for strength, flexibility, stress reduction- and because I do everything better when I'm being told what to do- why I always burn out of running or solo gym time after a few weeks
  • TiffanyRenayWright18
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 40 pounds. I've really hit it hard the past few weeks and I've dropped 7 pounds. I'm logging in meals, drinking plenty of water, and right down my exercise consists of a good walk/jog. Any increase in your activities will help. Good luck and let's shred these pounds!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Both forms of exercise are terrific and will help you in different ways. Neither will make you lose weight unless you are on top of things in the kitchen. That's where 90% of weight loss occurs.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posters about exercise not working for weight loss. But any type of stretching combined with weight training is great for challenging your muscles and toning your shape. I lost 15 pounds and no one said anything until I started a yoga/stretch program. Plus I feel stronger even after two weeks, to walk and run longer. I hope you find something you enjoy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Both forms of exercise are terrific and will help you in different ways. Neither will make you lose weight unless you are on top of things in the kitchen. That's where 90% of weight loss occurs.

This and the above. Yoga can easily be a strength building exercise, depending on the type, but DIET is the key.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    P.S. Weight lifting on your own is more error prone plus you don't get the stretching eccentric muscle training as much. Google concentric vs. eccentric muscle build to learn more. But any lifting is better than no lifting.
  • Javachipgirl
    Javachipgirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who replied. Yes I am also working on reducing my caloric intake, tracking my food and increased water intake to about 100oz a day. I've lost about 10lbs since August 1, 2016. I'm a diabetic, have a very sedentary work at home job and am a single parent. So I'm looking for success stories about what has worked for everyone.