Meals with your other half

Options
So last night hubby was in the mood for Nachos. Really, Nachos? Could we find a meal more likely to undo my progress? Anway it came down to separating my portion of tortilla chips, taco meat, cheese and jalapenos off to one side of the platter befor baking, and portioning my sour cream & salsa into separate bowsl and damn if it didn't work out just fine. Ok, so my Nachos were much skimpier than in the days before MFP, but they were still tasty and satisfying without going overboard. Question to you... how do you prepare meals for yourself and your loved ones(s), or do you make your own for yourself?

Replies

• oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    like you, i just make sure i measure everything, so i know what calories my portion has :heart:

also its no harm to use smaller portions of oil, butter, sauces or cheese when cooking, make the meal more healthier without alerting your other half, cuz then they think you have made it low fat and it doesnt taste as good! :blushing:
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend eats whatever I make for dinner (I'm vegetarian, he's not). He just tends to get a larger portion than I take. And he doesn't complain -- reading some other users testimonies makes me realize that I'm lucky to have a boyfriend who loves my cooking and doesn't complain about eating healthy!
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If its me cooking....which 99% of the time it is...he gets what he is given which is usually exactly the same as mine, sometimes the portion is a little bigger, or i might have something before he gets home as he often doesnt come in until 8 and then do him something else.

He doesnt grumble, everything i cook is tasty, he doesnt eve mind when i dont always use meat in a dish.

If he really wanted something particular then he'd have to go and buy himself as he doesnt do the shopping.

Plus to give him credit, he doesnt grumble....he just likes snacks for pudding like cake or ice cream which i can easily miss out.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I turn my nachos into a taco salad, using lots of lettuce and a little ranch dressing instead of sour cream.

It can really be a great, moderate-cal dinner, especially if you focus more on the veggies. :)
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Through the week i cook what i want to eat ( healthy ) most the time my husband has the same but sometimes he doesn't - my kids always eat at a diff time 2 us but at weekend we all eat together and its not as healthy. I make sure my portions are smaller than the old days. I feel i need those days and it has worked 4 me . xx
  • Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    make the meal more healthier without alerting your other half, cuz then they think you have made it low fat and it doesnt taste as good! blushing

Awesome!!
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    If its me cooking....which 99% of the time it is...he gets what he is given which is usually exactly the same as mine, sometimes the portion is a little bigger, or i might have something before he gets home as he often doesnt come in until 8 and then do him something else.

He doesnt grumble, everything i cook is tasty, he doesnt eve mind when i dont always use meat in a dish.

If he really wanted something particular then he'd have to go and buy himself as he doesnt do the shopping.

Plus to give him credit, he doesnt grumble....he just likes snacks for pudding like cake or ice cream which i can easily miss out.

I tend to do the same as this... My fiance is over weight with me so this is doing us both good.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My hubby and my 2 small children eat exactly what i have, i just alter my portion size according to the meal. Nobody complains...well okay the chlldren often shriek i dont like that, i dont want to eat that, before cleaning their plates but i do the shopping and the cooking so they get what is put in front of them.
    I always have fruit for a pudding and am quite happy for them to have pudding or ice cream etc without me. We always eat as a familly and i am trying not to give my children a bad picture of healthy eating / dieting by eating something different to them which is something i grew up with.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My partner and I have always eaten separately b/c we have completely different tastes. She's a vegetarian (who doesn't like vegetables) and I eat meat and am a bit of a foodie. So, once in awhile we'll eat the same thing, but it's very rare. And when we do eat the "same thing," it's still so different. LIke, we'll have tacos...mine will have lean turkey meat, no cheese, lots of lettuce and cilantro, etc. Hers will be beans and cheese and sour cream.

Add to the mix that we now have a picky toddler, and we basically all eat three separate meals. LOL
  • CosmicDebris83
    Options
    I don't prepare different meals. I'm lucky that I don't have picky children or a picky husband. They all eat what I make, and if not it's cereal or sandwich (which NEVER happens). My husband and kids love my "healthier" cooking!!
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If its me cooking....which 99% of the time it is...he gets what he is given which is usually exactly the same as mine, sometimes the portion is a little bigger, or i might have something before he gets home as he often doesn't come in until 8 and then do him something else.

This is the same for us as well.
    He eats whatever I cook, and if he is still hungry later he can either make something for himself, or if I'm feeling nice, I'll get him a snack (though if he asks me to get him a snack he will end up with carrots, or an apple, or something healthy, so he doesn't ask very often haha)
  • PST0622
    PST0622 Posts: 115
    Options
    We eat together and we eat the same foods....mine are just smaller portions!!!
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    My fiance does most of the cooking at weekends though i start the food most the time during the week as i get back before him. We have both made our portions smaller but it hasn't helped the weight drop off so i'm hoping this site will help see where i'm going wrong.

Weekends are the worse for me as sometimes i'll only have one meal.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i tend to have my own seperate meals...he'll have something like brocoli pasta bake(a huge portion at 900odd calories) and i'll go for wholegrain rice,monterey crispbakes and an omlette(2whole eggs, 2whites) and it works out just fine

if we have a meal that is the same i make sure to make mine a much smaller portion and measure it all out properly before preparing

when we have 'treat' nights we share a pizza etc and i'll just eat less
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I measure mine out. Since I do all the cooking he eats whatever I fix.
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    Lately, we either do individual meals from the freezer (the kids eat the leftover less healthy stuff as we use up what we have) or everyone eats what I cook, and what I cook is healthier. Dave is doing this with me, so we are on the same page. We started with him doing a lot of prepackaged meals like lean cuisine and such, and me doing a lot of cooking burgers, chops, chicken and freezing them for individual portions. I fed the kids simple stuff out of the freezer or they ate what I cooked that night. During the summer, I tend to have some "lunch" stuff for them anyway, like frozen burritos or corn dogs. There are a few frozen pizzas left in there as well. We are starting to branch out and attempt to try recipes that are healthier. So far that has been hit or miss. The recipe I tried last night was higher cal than it would have seemed, and not as tasty as I had hoped. But, I have several more that I want to attempt. My goal is to gear the entire family toward healthier family meals that we all eat as we go along.

Sarah
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    I measure mine... like for lunch just a few minutes ago, I made sandwiches... made mine with whole wheat instead of white, gave him his whole sandwich but cut mine into 2, ate half just now but will eat half in about 2 hrs... anyways I just portion mine out instead of eating it all at once and choose a healthier alternative for the things he likes but I don't want to eat
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm very lucky in that my boyfriend is a boxer and is always mindful of his weight class so he eats even smaller portions than I do. He eats like fifty snacks throughout the day though. Very healthy snacks. He keeps the fridge stocked with healthy vegan food even though he is a meat eater to keep me happy. He went through a healthy lifestyle change and is totally on board to keeping me healthy so I can spend many many years with him and we'll make happy healthy babies. lol
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    like you, i just make sure i measure everything, so i know what calories my portion has :heart:

also its no harm to use smaller portions of oil, butter, sauces or cheese when cooking, make the meal more healthier without alerting your other half, cuz then they think you have made it low fat and it doesnt taste as good! :blushing:

i also use the same techniques....when cooking for my family...portions are also a big competent....you're doing great!!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do it exactly how you did. Not to mention I'm vegetarian and the kids aren't so if I don't make an entire veggie meal I have to cook 2 seperate meals.