More stupid questions

Options
So I plan to bake some pork chops tonight for dinner. There's a marinade that the chops will bake in, but how do I track it? Obviously not all the marinade will be eaten but it will absorb some of it. What do I do?

Replies

• fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've personally never dealt with this, but i've seen several others suggest that you weigh the marinade before putting the meat in, and then weigh it after you're done marinating to see how much the meat absorbed.
  • Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Any sauces, oils etc. I include all of the calories (I know feasibly it hasn't absorbed all of it but I'd rather be off and be too high than have underestimated.)

I cooked two steaks tonight - I used 5ml of oil oil, measured using a syringe. I split the oil 2.5ml per meal.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If I use a prepared marinade, I just account for 1 serving per the package. If I make my own, and use oil, I divide the amount of oil by the number of servings of meat I'm preparing. I probably shoot high both ways, but figure it all evens out when I eyeball something else.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    The meat is not going to absorb much after cooking. I marinate very often and never count it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Add 1 tablespoon of oil per serving. That would be more than enough.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I always count ALL the oil that the meat is cooked with or in, even if there's oil left in the pan afterwards.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So I plan to bake some pork chops tonight for dinner. There's a marinade that the chops will bake in, but how do I track it? Obviously not all the marinade will be eaten but it will absorb some of it. What do I do?

its too small to track, so just dont track it. 1) if youre going to pour it off, then dont track it. 2) if youre not then just estimate. track the difference of how much you poured, and how much you poured off, then divide by the number of pork chops. thats a hassle, just don't track it.
    theyre going to be times when you can just either not log something, or estimate it. this is one of them.