My husband had a major heart attack!

Options
He is alive and well......not really well but alive. A quick 411. Was over weight, family history, poor eater, high blood pressure and big time smoker...hence window maker heart attack. He survived and quit smoking.

Now what I need.

Is there anybody out there that has a husband, boyfriend, partner who doesn't want to get healthy while you do?

Is there anybody out there that is with someone who has a chronic disease or is sick?

Is there anyone out there that is married to someone much older than you? ( hubby is 9 years older)

I feel the last 9 months have been about his health. His heart attack has caused so many other medical issues such as depression, tired, decreased closeness etc I feel consumed with worry over his health that mine takes a back burner. I am exhausted and scared all the time. I am proud he doesn't smoke but dieting is super hard. Also I feel extremely guilty that I think he is getting , "old" and I still feel young and active. ( I feel like a horrible person just typing that)

I just need support from people that are trying to better themselves while going through some life issues.

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Sending hugs hunni
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My husband is 10yrs older then me. He is naturally slender but has put on 20#'s this past 10yrs or so and could stand to lose it. I cook healthy and serve him and he buys crap and eats it. I don't eat what he buys and he doesn't offer it to me. Although I am noticing the age difference (he needs hearing aids), in terms of my weight loss, I don't let his health affect me. We work on his blood pressure, etc. separate from anything I have going on.
  • BellaMnk
    BellaMnk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wish your husband a full recovery (\(n.n)/)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Please remember that the best thing you can do for yourself and for your marriage is to do what is best for you. :smile:
    Especially makes sure that you get enough sleep and downtime. Lots of hugs.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Please take care of yourself.

I grew up as the daughter of a heart patient, my older brother is a heart patient, one of my best friends had atrial fibrillation that could only be controlled by a pacemaker, and my son-in-law had a heart attack. My father's condition convinced me that I could take preventative measures to prevent the same in me. My friend has rolled over and considers herself an invalid. My brother has stopped smoking and drinking, but doesn't diet or exercise. My son-in-law is taking somewhat better care of himself, and is getting his BP and Type II diabetes under control.

All I can do is watch what I eat and exercise. Nothing I can do, or could do, will change them.
  • annettemoe
    annettemoe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband also had a major heart attack about 8 months ago. It is so tough to see our loved ones changing before our eyes. There are a number of things that you brought up...the depression is very real with men and heart attacks and often one of the side effects that is most difficult to deal with. Getting help for that (support group, calling him out on it, getting him to exercise) may be be the first step you need to take. Another step is buying the heart healthy substitutes. Earth Balance butter substitute is fantastic, Mrs. Dash for salt, using lots of herbs...all are ways to keep the flavor in the food. Join a blog on heart healthy meals and learn to prepare dishes differently, turkey bacon instead of the real stuff...all these little steps help make a doable lifestyle change! Lastly, tell him you need him to keep you motivated...find ways to move, together...join a gym and hold each other accountable for at least two days a week, Pokemon Go is great for getting people walking, do the 30 day AB challenge together...Keep challenging him to stay motivated for both of you. His choices are for both of you, as are yours. Keep talking to him! Good luck and know you are not alone!
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I cannot help you in your request as I am not one in any of the above mentioned situations. BUT, I am here to thank you for chosing yourself in asking for help. I know I am not alone in my struggles and neither are you I am sure. You will find the support your need because you choose to react. Good for you ! :smiley:
  • 780ck
    780ck Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a tough time. I'm trying without my hubby on board. Feel free to add me for support
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    GetFitKTB wrote: »
    Ten months ago I suffered a "widow maker' heart attack. Doctor told me if I was even ten minutes later to the hospital I probably would have died. Like your husband, I was a bad eater, very much overweight, had high blood pressure and smoked a lot - 2 packs a day. After the heart attack, I quit smoking, started exercising (first through cardiac rehab, now on my own), and learned to eat right - that's why I joined My Fitness Pal, to help me keep track of calories. I've lost 35 pounds so far, and replaced a lot of that fat with muscle. At 53 years old, I feel better than I did when I was 25 years old! And I did all on my own, with little emotional support or "nagging" as I am single, and my family lives out of state. Friends weren't much help because it's hard for them to understand, and oftentimes they pull away because it's a scary subject to them.

I mention this because in the case of your husband and you, there's only so much you can do. You can't carry the burden by yourself. You say he's quit smoking, and that's great, but as I have learned, there is so much more to getting better.

After the heart attack, depression is natural. I was depressed. Some insurance programs offer free services to victims of heart attacks, including counselling for depression, because they're starting to come around and realize that keeping people healthy is better than waiting until they get sick. I took advantage of such a program. And the American Heart Association offers a boatload of info for caregivers heart.org/HEARTORG/Caregiver/Resources/ResourcesIntroduction/Caregiver-Resources-Introduction_UCM_301850_Article.jsp#.V9XEWJgrKM8, and I'm not sure, but either they or even a local chapter may be able to help you find counseling for you and your husband. It's worth a try.

The tiredness you mention is probably related to depression.

But although there's only so much you can do, you can tell your husband that I know where he's coming from, and I understand the fear, and how paralyzing it can be, but the heart is resilient, and like any other muscle, you use it or lose it, so that means get active! Now I'm sure he's heard that before, but from one survivor to another, I can testify not only how important it is, but that it's not as dreadful (exercising) as it seems! I went from someone who never exercised to someone who goes to the gym 5 days a week, and spends an hour doing cardio and an hour of strength training, and I actually enjoy it. Of course everyone's different, but at first I thought it's going to be hell getting my behind to the gym just 30 minutes a month....and look at me now!

And you don't have to go to the gym. Whatever activity it is you enjoy that gets your heart pumping is what counts. Just walking counts a lot, and that's something you and your husband can do together, and it's free.

Does your insurance cover cardiac rehab? Most do, but I've learned that many cardiac doctors, for some strange reason, fail to bring it up to their patients. Mine didn't mention it - I had to ask him about it, and after I did, he wrote a prescription for it, and my insurance paid 90% of the charges for a 3 month session - it's a great way to get one into the habit of exercising.

Well, I hope I've offered some advice that you'll find useful, and the best of luck to you and your husband!

That is truly inspirational! How overwhelming it must be to be so gravely ill and truly the only one who can save you at that point is you. Good luck to OP, her husband and GetFitKTB in your continued quest for the best possible health. GetFib you just inspired me to not give in and eat pizza for dinner.