Right now in my life - The only thing I have any control over is how I can take care of myself

Options
Good afternoon,
I am not usually up to creating or participating in communities.
I am a 56 year old woman...married for almost 26 yrs to my soul mate - together we raised 2 beautiful boys. We were a team...We were all close their ages are 25 and 23. When they graduated from high school...one went to college my younger chose a different path...he tried college just wasnt ready- he tried the Navy although he loved it he was in the reserves and opted out..He found a niche in sales with a cellular phone company he did quite well for over 2 years...he still longed for something else and felt ready for college. The point is he was trying to figure life out..one night last July 11, 2016 - he was struck by a vehicle while riding his bicycle home from work he died. Our life as we knew it changed forever that day.
Since then life is a blur...my husband, our other son and I are moving forward the best we can.
I have always struggled with dieting and exercising....however, going and working out and carefully preparing my meals seems to be the only thing that I can control. It gives me comfort and focus as does my daily devotions and knowing God is right beside us. Every thing else seems off...a life without my baby boy is the worst pain I have ever had to deal with...To top it if it that is possible, My best friend lost her 22 year old son in a car accident 24 days after mine.
So, with all that said my point is this...life can be interrupted at anytime- life is way to short to carry a grudge, nurse a hurt feeling or going too long without saying I love you to someone. When we harbor all those things - we eat out of control and only hurt ourselves.
By Gods grace Myfitnesspal and the Y are saving me right now. Logging food is good...moving your body is even better! Surrounding yourself with people who love and support you is the best! I am blessed to have such a wide network of friends and family who encourage me while crying with me. God is good and shows me these things.
Thanks for stopping in - May God bless you

Replies

• N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm really sorry for your loss....I definitely think food can be self-medicating; especially when we're sad and hurt--which can be really bad for us in the long run. Definitely always surround yourself with positivity and continue taking care of your health through eating right (with a few cheat days thrown in) and exercising (and mfp can be an effective outlet)! Sometimes talking to a professional really helps too! God bless you and your family! <3
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Will keep you and your family in prayer.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing. I hope the best for you and your family as you move forward. I can't imagine the pain. Hugs :heart:
  • lilsteig
    lilsteig Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I cannot express how sorry I am for what you are going through. I commend you for taking back your life to be strong for you and the rest of your family. I wish you all the very best.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

I am glad you are finding MFP a distraction for your grief and I really hope you also find support and comfort here in the community - as well as fitness and food advice. I think it might also be worth seeking bereavement counselling for yourself and your family. It is healthy to have other ways of dealing with your loss that aren't just based around food. I'm sending you prayers and best wishes x
  • Whiswoman
    Whiswoman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I am also in grief counseling
  • antwanettathompson196
    Options
    Hey so sorry for your lost so sorry you even have to go through something like this but we can all be here for one another ROCK OUT BABE YOU GOT THIS❤️
  • JenuineMalice
    JenuineMalice Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! I have two school-aged sons and I can imagine how devastating that was/is. I, too, have always medicated myself with food. I've always said that some people smoke, some people drink and I eat! Best wishes for you on your transformation Journey. I'm sure your son would be proud.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss and also for your friend's loss, that's just unbelievably sad.
    I cannot begin to imagine how you must be feeling, well done for trying to mind yourself, you sound so strong.
  • SharonMooney1
    SharonMooney1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am saddened to hear of your son's accident and your loss of a loved one. I know that God, through Jesus Christ will truly comfort you as you have shared. I am 61 and I have experienced His kind grace and strength through 2 years of cancer--breast and brain within a 8 month period in 2009, 2010). He is truly our only hope for this life in any journey/trial that we are faced with-- even with the battle of food. I was doing good maintaining my weight until 3 years ago, I began gaining weight and have put on 30 pounds that I need to lose. My husband of 43+ yrs. is a great encouragement and I look forward to getting to know others that also know my need to overcome and succeed to weight loss. God bless you.
  • Whiswoman
    Options
    Hi Sharon - I am happy to be your friend here and anyone else that needs encouragement and motivation - we all carry a different load - but seek the same release - lets do this
  • Whiswoman
    Options
    I have really been meeting some nice people on here and feel very encouraged! If you are struggling and serious about wanting to find a good support.....friend me we can help each other