Starting Over

Kelley0519
Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
edited September 2016 in Getting Started
I have been on this journey since 2011....since then, I've managed to lose 80 lbs, but I gained 60 lbs back :( ...this journey has been very bumpy and difficult. I'm sure there are others out there who feel like I do. I feel everyday is a challenge or feel like I'm always at a crossroad.... should I keep going down the healthy eating lifestyle road or take a turn towards eat all the food you love to eat without counting calories road. And also telling yourself "you should enjoy life and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself." Either way, I'm tired of feeling that way; it's time for me to start over.

Food can be an addiction, just like any other drug. From my past experience, food has "comfort" me through a lot of tough times in my life. Whether it be losing my mother at 14 yrs old or having my son's dad neglect his son and I when my son was only 3 yrs old and I had to take on a full-time single parenting position (my son is six now). Food made me feel better. I can't control what happened in my past, but I can control how to deal with it. Just like any other addiction, food made me feel better temporary but in the end I was/am only hurting myself more and more. I feel limited to what I can do with my son when it comes to activities. I'm always tired and don't feel like I have the energy to do anything. I have to take back control over my mind and body. My son deserves the best...he deserves to see his mommy conquer this food addiction for once and for all. I'm motivated now more than ever.

Sorry this is a long story, but I just wanted to let anyone else who felt/feel this way know that you are not crazy and you are not alone! I would love to have friends on here who would help motivate me and vice versa, I can help motivate you. I've lost the weight before so I'm sure I can do it again, but this time keep it off and not look back. Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Hello lovely :)

You see your 60 lb gain as a failure, I feel. I can understand that you are disappointed but with life, comes bumpy roads and difficult situations, which in turn causes weight gains and weight losses. We are human, not robots. Of course are weight is going to go up and down. Please don't feel bad about that. It happened. It is what it is.

I think the challenge for youisn't in the losing weight, it's in your relationship with food. You seem to have formed this one-sided friendship with food. You think it will comfort you when things are tough and make you feel okay again. I get it. But the reality is, food cannot offer you comfort and it can't offer you love. Not really. It is easier said than done but there ARE other ways to cope with horrible, stressful situations. Food does not have to be a crutch for you any longer - and that's where MFP comes in. We will most certainly support you and help you and lift you when things aren't running smoothly for you.

You know how to lose weight - You have 100% GOT this. And know this - your son already has the best.
  • Kelley0519

You see your 60 lb gain as a failure, I feel. I can understand that you are disappointed but with life, comes bumpy roads and difficult situations, which in turn causes weight gains and weight losses. We are human, not robots. Of course are weight is going to go up and down. Please don't feel bad about that. It happened. It is what it is.

I think the challenge for youisn't in the losing weight, it's in your relationship with food. You seem to have formed this one-sided friendship with food. You think it will comfort you when things are tough and make you feel okay again. I get it. But the reality is, food cannot offer you comfort and it can't offer you love. Not really. It is easier said than done but there ARE other ways to cope with horrible, stressful situations. Food does not have to be a crutch for you any longer - and that's where MFP comes in. We will most certainly support you and help you and lift you when things aren't running smoothly for you.

You know how to lose weight - You have 100% GOT this. And know this - your son already has the best.

You're exactly right!!! Thanks so much for your kind words!
  • Nicki_pick
    Nicki_pick Posts: 81 Member
    Your honesty is refreshing sweetie. I can't say that I can totally relate to all of your obstacles and challenges. But I know what it's like to feel like a busy, stressful parent that is exhausted all the time. And what's it's like to use food as a means of comfort.
    I don't have much to lose. My primary reason for joining mfp (second time around) is to have more energy for my family. Thats number one. I dont want my kids to have memories of having a tired mom that doesnt have any energy to invest in them at the end of the day. Also for accountability and becoming more aware of how I'm taking care of myself and as a sort of declaration that THIS WILL BE A PRIORITY NOW. It helps me focus when life is nuts.
    I know you can do this! I know how good it will make you feel. How strong and confident and energetic and PROUD you will feel by taking back control over this area in your life. You got this girl! I believe in you!!!
  • Kelley0519
    Nicki_pick wrote: »
    Your honesty is refreshing sweetie. I can't say that I can totally relate to all of your obstacles and challenges. But I know what it's like to feel like a busy, stressful parent that is exhausted all the time. And what's it's like to use food as a means of comfort.
    I don't have much to lose. My primary reason for joining mfp (second time around) is to have more energy for my family. Thats number one. I dont want my kids to have memories of having a tired mom that doesnt have any energy to invest in them at the end of the day. Also for accountability and becoming more aware of how I'm taking care of myself and as a sort of declaration that THIS WILL BE A PRIORITY NOW. It helps me focus when life is nuts.
    I know you can do this! I know how good it will make you feel. How strong and confident and energetic and PROUD you will feel by taking back control over this area in your life. You got this girl! I believe in you!!!

Thank you so much for your kind words and motivation!
  • Melysa1988
    Melysa1988 Posts: 81 Member
    You remind me of myself. I joined in 2012 and lost 60lbs but gained 40 back. I started my journey again last week. Add me for motivation and support.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    I gain all my weight loss back, but the first time I had 128lbs of fat to lose, and this time I started with only 100 to lose at the same weight. Down 20 of that 100 over the last 4 weeks.
  • N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member

"We"--LOL.. I actually noticed a lot of Terrible ppl on here so far that i'd shut out in a heartbeat. "some" is more accurate.
  • Kelley0519
    Melysa1988 wrote: »
    You remind me of myself. I joined in 2012 and lost 60lbs but gained 40 back. I started my journey again last week. Add me for motivation and support.

Awesome, I think we're friends on here now!
  • Kelley0519
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    I gain all my weight loss back, but the first time I had 128lbs of fat to lose, and this time I started with only 100 to lose at the same weight. Down 20 of that 100 over the last 4 weeks.

that's amazing! Very encouraging to know that I'm not the only one losing the same pounds I've lost once before!
  • tammycaffery
    tammycaffery Posts: 1 Member
    I know exactly how you feel. Nice to hear you take responsibility and decide to take control of your life again. This is helpful for me.
  • Kelley0519
    I know exactly how you feel. Nice to hear you take responsibility and decide to take control of your life again. This is helpful for me.

Glad this was helpful for you! We can do this!