I'm so confused on the MACROS how should they be set?

Options
It says my goal for carbs are 50% and protien only 20% and fats I think said 30% what the heck ..can anyone explain that??

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    While macros are very important I see them as starting points to be tweaked in real time. Force fitting most anything is not going to work out well long term. Best of success.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are you strength training? If you're working to retain or build muscle mass adjust your macros to get 0.8 grams per pound of muscle mass (around 0.6 grams per pound otherwise), and about 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight. The rest are carbs.

Now, the complication with standard MFP is that it uses percentages so you'll have to back into those figures based on the above (converted to calories) and your overall calorie goal. Carbs and protein are about 4 calories per gram and fat is about 9 calories per gram.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    50/30/20 are the default goals and are what is recommended for the majority of the population.

You can adjust them in your Goals, here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

Unless you have some medical issues, or are training for some particularly grueling athletic event, these numbers are a good start point. I've played around with mine and always go back to the default...maybe a little heavier on the fats and lower on the carbs - but not by much.
  • lippygidg
    lippygidg Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)