Ideas to increase daily protein

Options
Based on my physician's recommendation, I'm trying to eat over 80-90 grams of protein. I'm really struggling to get in that much protein and could use some ideas to increase protein while maintaining carbs under 110 grams and keep my fat intake at a moderate level. Any ideas?

Replies

• MTgal477
    MTgal477 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Salami slices, pastrami slices, deli ham, pork rinds, cheese sticks, jerky, cheese whisps, eggs, yogurt
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, pure protein bars ( there very low sugar and made with whey protein), egg whites, greek yogurt, chicken breast (frozen tysons ones are the ones I buy), shrimp and fish, ground turkey is excellent too.I wouldn't do the salami or deli meat because of the fat content and the fact that it is extremely processed.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Baby bell cheese and mozerella cheese sticks too
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    animal sources:
    red meat
    chicken
    turkey
    ham
    fish (including tuna, sardines etc)
    eggs
    etc.

vegetarian:
    1/2 a cup of legumes

other:
    protein shakes and the like
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, egg whites, and white fish will be the most efficient whole food sources. Sirloin steak and lean pork also work well.
  • BenditaRebe
    BenditaRebe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! Do you follow any particular meal plans that may be helpful? I know I need to plan ahead more than I have been accustomed to doing. I want to do so without becoming inappropriately focused on eating all of the time.

I really appreciate everyone's help! :)
  • Goldstr324
    Goldstr324 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As someone else stated earlier in the thread, protein shakes are an easy way to up your daily protein intake. That's what I do. The brand I use contains high-quality, undenatured protein from cows have not been treated with hormones or routine antibiotics. Only good stuff and they have more protein than most shakes I've researched. They contain 36g of protein in each shake and are a complete meal replacement that helps you feel full. Great for burning fat and controlling calories while retaining lean muscle. They are really a effective and weight-loss tool. If you care to know more about what is working for me, feel free to message me. I'm down 26 lbs & 42" overall in 3 months and am feeling awesome :)
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I decided to up my protein after a talk with the doctor as well, and I went the protein shake route. I don't know how else I would get that much protein in foods I like without adding a ton of calories.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, fat free cottage cheese and greek yogurt are good sources. For other meals canned tuna, chicken, and other fish are good, low fat sources. A good overall source is whey protein.
  • krstldw
    krstldw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try genepro protein powder. It's flavorless and its high protein for a little amount. You can add it to anything and it doesn't change the consistency or taste. It also isn't chalky and no after taste.