Runner's Diet?

I've recently started running a lot (I'm starting to train for my first half-marathon in the spring), and I'm wondering if any of you runners out there still get RAVENOUSLY hungry after running, and what you do about it to avoid gaining weight. Every time I run I come home and raid the fridge like a total animal (it's not really junk food at least: tuna + low-fat mayo, eggs + toast, Cliff bar, whole wheat pasta, etc...). I still have a lot of weight to lose so I don't want to ruin my efforts, but JEEZE I'm hungry when I get home, I have total tunnel vision for food until I've eaten like two or three meal-sized portions. Is it ok to eat like this after a 4-6 mile run? (And if not, what should I eat before/during/after runs to stop feeling like this?)

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    I normally run before breakfast, so I just get home and have my breakfast. Or sometimes I train on the track in the early evening, in which case I have a small snack (some yoghurt, fruit and muesli, for example, about 250 cals) about two hours before, then go home and have my dinner after. If you plan your meals in advance and time your runs for when you're just about to have a substantial meal anyway, you shouldn't need to eat extra; running 4-6 miles isn't going to burn that many calories, depending on how heavy you are.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    I do regular long runs, I tend to find that carb cycling a week before doing a long run (10+ miles) gives me the edge when I'm out on the road or on the treadmill.

Oats are a staple part of my diet and in the hours leading up to the run, I'll let my stomach deplete so that I'm not running with any extra weight (running with a full stomach doesn't feel great).

All the best.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm averaging around 40 miles a week and some weeks I'm hungrier than others...but it is typically later in the day when I want to eat everything in the house.

On a typical day, before running, I have two cups of coffee (sometimes with protein powder added in) and 1/2 cup cooked steel cut oats with a dab of nut butter, some agave nectar, and a splash of nut milk about 1-1.5 hours before I run.

It is hot here so I'm mostly thirsty when I get back. I eat a couple of Popsicles and hydrate with water and protein shake. I have second breakfast within 1-1.5 hours of returning. This is typically a piece of sprouted grain toast with sautéed baby kale, a slice of cheese, and an over easy egg. This, along with the rest of my protein shake, will usually get me to lunch.

Two things help me...eating things that I really enjoy and ensuring that I don't cut out too many carbohydrates. The kale (or spinach or watercress or...) are satisfying, add fiber, and give some bulk to whatever you eat.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Congrats on training for the half!!! I make homemade pizza and bread and they're awesome for carbing up before a long run! Seriously, sometimes I eat half a pizza then run 10 miles. Afterwards, PROTEIN!! Beans, chicken, etc. I LOVE food so running is my balance. Today I ate three pieces of homemade pizza, ran, and then had chicken and black beans with rice. Also drink a ton of water after your runs because it really helps fill you up (also hydration, duh). Good luck to ya!

Ps: I also love the word ravenous
  • baleighbee
    baleighbee Posts: 27 Member
    Great job for training for a half marathon that really is a great accomplishment. I was in a similar situation as you when preparing for my first half. During the week, I always had to run after work so I would try to have an after lunch/ pre- run snack which was normally fruit or half a protein bar. Then when I got home from my run I would take my dogs on a small walk (just a few blocks) and it kept me for running straight home and into the fridge. Sometimes during my walk I would drink some BCAA and just cool down my body and get some energy out of my dogs. Then when I went home I always seemed more in control because I was cooled down and semi-full from rehydrating. That is when I would make dinner or just heat up some left overs from my meal prepping for my husband and I.