One day breaking diet - now what?

Options
Ten days in a row at under 1,600 calories. Went grocery shopping today and bought a lot of new things I just had to try. I'm at 1,950 already and it's a long time until midnight.

Good news is that until 10 days ago, 2,000 was my daily goal, so I am now a little mad at myself for hitting the number that used to be a good day.

Should I try to do an extra 400 cals at the gym tonight? try to make it up tomorrow? or just put today behind me and focus on 1,600 tomorrow and each day forward. I've lost 6.5 lbs in the last week and a half, so maybe this little slip isnt too bad?

i've heard some people give themselves a "free day" each week. how "bad" do you get on your free day?

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. look at your weekly limits instead of concentrating on daily targets.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't beat yourself up. We all have these days. Learn from them!

I have one "free" day a month. I couldn't do it every week or I would never lose weight.
  • KMcBandit
    KMcBandit Posts: 65
    Options
    Try to work it off at the gym is what I do about 40 minutes on the eliptical works 400 off :D Or go swimming for a little bit you can do it! I do a free day or zig zag my calories some days it kinda helps sometimes but if your up for it do the gym thing worst case what.. you get 400 calories healthier? lol but don't be hard on yourself everyone does this for sure.
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I also had a really bad day awhile back & was so scared that it would mess up my great progress but instead I just worked out more & on monday when I got on that scale it didnt affect me at all.
    You can't let it steer you off course!!!
    Like another member on here once said...if you were driving & you realized you were heading the wrong way would you continue to drive in the wrong direction?! NO! You would turn around & start heading back the correct way.
    I always think of this when I get off course & it has helped me get through it & over it immensley. I'm only to glad to pass it on to you! Good luck! You can do it!!! :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I would put it behind you and tomorrow is a new day. I don't have "free days". They seem pretty counter producive to me. If it doesn't fit into my calories for the day, I just don't eat it.
  • reallyfatguy
    reallyfatguy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym or go for a long walk. It will make you feel better and burn the extra calories.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask this. I've noticed when I take a "cheat day" (once in a blue moon), my weight drops quickly the next couple of days. I think it makes my body realize we aren't starving. :wink: I wouldn't worry about it. One day won't undo your whole week (especially not by just a few hundred calories). Just consider it a maintenance day!
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Based on your weight loss looks like you're doing a "GREAT" Job...so I wouldn't let 1 day consume me...take the lick and pick yourself back up.

We're not going to be perfect at this, so you continue to do your best most of the time and accept those few times when you don't.

Keep up the good work...we "ALL" fall down, but getting back up is the key...:happy: Hope this helps.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Get in a good workout if you feel up to it and brush it off! Tomorrow is a new day! Yesterday was a bad day for me... burger, fries, and ice cream! But today I started over again. No biggie!
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    I take every saturday and sunday off. I still monitor what I eat to make sure its not garbage. I just eat more. I have my daily goal set to 1400/day but on the weekends I hit 2000 and sometimes more depending on my plans. I've lost 38 lbs (havent logged my new weight yet) since february and I have had times where I didn't work out for a whole week. I wouldn't worry about. Have your day and go back to normal routine tomorrow
  • mummyflippers
    Options
    I also had a really bad day awhile back & was so scared that it would mess up my great progress but instead I just worked out more & on monday when I got on that scale it didnt affect me at all.
    You can't let it steer you off course!!!
    Like another member on here once said...if you were driving & you realized you were heading the wrong way would you continue to drive in the wrong direction?! NO! You would turn around & start heading back the correct way.
    I always think of this when I get off course & it has helped me get through it & over it immensley. I'm only to glad to pass it on to you! Good luck! You can do it!!! :)

I'm going to remember that quote - might out a note of it on my pantry just in case, lol.

So true though, just draw a line under it - tomorrow is a new day and all that. I'm liking the idea of a free day once a month too!

Louise x
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion;
    If you have time to do a little more exercise, do it. If you can cut just a little something out
    of tonights meal, do it.....then put it behind you!!
    For me, I don't believe in a free 'bad' day. For me, that would be like telling an alcoholic
    he can have one day at the bar....free. However, I am learning that a 'slip up' as what
    happened to you today is just that, a slip up. The fact that you are still here reaching for
    help/encouragement is worth a lot. Just keep on going. Who knows, that might have
    'reved up' our metabolism for the day!
  • realdisco
    realdisco Posts: 9
    Options
    Start the next day over fresh!
    If you can fit in a workout before end of today, that will only help, but don't freak out. Don't try to "make up for it" on the following days by being overly restrictive on your calories or going overboard with your workout. These things tend to backfire for me.
    Moving on the next day is the best thing to do.
    Take notes for yourself. Get to know your habits and the things that trigger overindulgences, so you avoid putting yourself in that position again.
    This has helped me out.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Also, when I set my goal to "maintain weight", my daily calorie goal jumps up to like 2300. So my "off/cheat" weekends actually turn into maintenance days. And like the person above said, sometimes I even lose some weight during the weekend because it shocks my body or something.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm going to vote for the walk - it does burn some calories and I think helps your digestion. Always a plus!

Incidentally, I was on vacation for a week and thought I had gone way overboard - cheesesteak, pizza, Bojangles chicken, etc. When I got home I weighed myself and hadn't gained a pound! I did make sure I ate some lighter meals here and there and did a lot of walking since I was not able to do any regular exercise like I do at home. Hope this helps!
  • charelaine
    charelaine Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I have been sticking to my calorie count daily, but there is so much going on today, it isn't happening. I had a family reunion at lunch time. I know I ate too much, but I did make some good choices. Tonight we have a big potluck at church. I am going to try to eat before we go, but it's a fish fry, and I love fish! It is also my daughter's birthday today. She is 16. I am just going to have my day today, trying to be responsible but accepting that it is only one day. I did work out this morning, and if it isn't too late when I get home, I may again. That helps a little. I like the quote about driving the wrong direction. I am going to do my best to turn around now.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    Yikes. Ended up at about 3K of calories for the day and was 4 lbs heavier this morning than I was yesterday.

Bad day.

Back on schedule though. Ate well today and had one of my best workouts ever.